Why become a member? ×

Band Image

jmstone

[quote name='farmer61' post='541277' date='Jul 15 2009, 01:33 PM']Just bought a pair of these puppies for my Private Function Stuff
Cowboy boots
quote]

They are cool!

I wear mine with black leather jeans, white shirt and black suit jacket for my posh gigs :)

Edited by silddx

I personally don't think image is important. Of all the bands I'm a fan of, it was because I heard their music first, not because they wear cool clothes. When I go to see them live, I don't look at what they're wearing, I couldn't care less. Of course in certain situations, a common look (like the Madness suits) or something striking (like Marilyn Manson) works - but more often than not, amateur bands will look a bit stupid trying to pull it off. Of course don't wear your scruffiest curry stained t-shirt, make an effort, but not too much.

If you're in a wedding band, playing classical or jazz, etc, then a suit is usually part of the uniform.

On the other hand if you're trying to make commercial music and get written about by publications that favour style over substance (e.g. NME) then go and dress like a red indian, paint your face and wear a pink feather boa, whatever floats your boat!

[quote name='dannybuoy' post='541285' date='Jul 15 2009, 01:39 PM']I personally don't think image is important.

On the other hand if you're trying to make commercial music and get written about by publications that favour style over substance (e.g. NME) then go and dress like a red indian, paint your face and wear a pink feather boa, whatever floats your boat![/quote]

But your theory doesn't work. What about bands like Yes, Rush, Muse, Elvis Costello, The Four Tops, EW&F, ABBA .. They all have very refined, defined band images. They are most definitely not style over substance.

The fact is, the right marketing sells product.

Of course image is important. Most people's first impression of a band that they go to see is based on a visual representation. If I'm playing in a
club I want people to notice that I'm in the Band when I walk in-not in an arrogant way,but in a way that makes me stand out as being not
an audience member. If you wear the same T shirt and Jeans combo as you were wearing to mow the lawn earlier,you could be just about
anyone.But,if you are wearing a cool shirt or a suit or hat or whatever,people will notice you and your band,and you will have made a good
first impression.
You need to take pride in your playing and convey the image that is expected of you as a performer-if the gig requires a dinner jacket and bow tie
it will be in my suit bag ready to go-if it requires all black to blend in,thats fine too.Even if its a T-shirt and Jeans gig,make them different from
what's been worn all day.

[quote name='dannybuoy' post='541285' date='Jul 15 2009, 01:39 PM']....Of all the bands I'm a fan of, it was because I heard their music first, not because they wear cool clothes. When I go to see them live, I don't look at what they're wearing, I couldn't care less.[/quote]

You're right - in the sense that you heard their music first. Which presumes they've organised themselves to get a deal or do it themselves, so they're clearly not in the game for giggles. I'd bet the image discussion's been had at least once

And, yes, you don't care what they wear, because you're there for the music and rightly so. But not everyone's the same as you - lots of audience members base their initial sampling of a band on certain image cues - hence the importance of media coverage and cover art.

Even the decision not to focus too much on visual image is an 'image' decision on which audience expectations have at least some bearing. And I bet it's a conversation that's been had by any band even if it's just "What are you going to wear?"- "Well, not anything flash, the audience would think we're w*nkers".

Image isn't just about cool clothes. It's about the overall stage experience - movement, audience communications, the frontman's speaking voice, lighting, intro music or not, band average age, set pacing. Clothing is an important component, though.

Realistically, most bands dress for their genres - metal, indie, jazz - (I'd love to see someone at a jazz gig in full 'Lemmy' fig complete with bullet belt). So actually, everybody does it to a certain extent. Doesn't mean we have to engage a 'stylist' - but it's worth looking at the difference between pro-band promo shots and amateur stuff from the early days. There's a certain quality to the image there that helps a band stand out and it's worth thinking about, even if you ultimately reject it.

I once saw a band that had a very 'thought-out' image. In order to satirise the idea of 'day jobs' and the daily grind, they all wore inexpensive suits and ties and had briefcases on stage. The subtlety eluded 99% of the audience, who blanked them as white-collar 'amateurs' who'd come straight from the office and didn't know how to dress for a gig.

Edited by skankdelvar

Course image is important...

You really think audience members really turn up to see what amp the bass player uses??

We recently let our guard down in an unnamed club up north (just for the second set we ditched the look an wore T shirts),

We really didnt think anyone would care,,, next day call from well known agent who unbelievably had turned up to this gig to see us play,, an we have now potentially blown a theatre tour,, the only criticism to be had was we looked like a "pub band" in the second set..this really hurts as during some of our shows the singer goes through up to 5 costume changes.

Even if you play down the same pub every week,,, a real simple backdrop (nothing worse than a good photo of you with a dartboard in the background),,an an effort in the clothing dept will pay dividends...

When playing venues 99% of the ladies wont notice if you play like a god or a looney,, but if your shoes dont match your outfit!!! they will,, an trust me,, if the girls are dancing, the boys will be there watching, buying beer and the landlord will rebook.

Best thing is its soo simple,,,, needs less discussion than how to mike the kick drum up !! which usually takes ten minutes eh!

Is it just me but I love dressing up anyway?? :rolleyes: :)

[quote name='Toddy' post='541341' date='Jul 15 2009, 02:49 PM']Course image is important...

You really think audience members really turn up to see what amp the bass player uses??

We recently let our guard down in an unnamed club up north (just for the second set we ditched the look an wore T shirts),

We really didnt think anyone would care,,, next day call from well known agent who unbelievably had turned up to this gig to see us play,, an we have now potentially blown a theatre tour,, the only criticism to be had was we looked like a "pub band" in the second set..this really hurts as during some of our shows the singer goes through up to 5 costume changes.

Even if you play down the same pub every week,,, a real simple backdrop (nothing worse than a good photo of you with a dartboard in the background),,an an effort in the clothing dept will pay dividends...

When playing venues 99% of the ladies wont notice if you play like a god or a looney,, but if your shoes dont match your outfit!!! they will,, an trust me,, if the girls are dancing, the boys will be there watching, buying beer and the landlord will rebook.

Best thing is its soo simple,,,, needs less discussion than how to mike the kick drum up !! which usually takes ten minutes eh!

Is it just me but I love dressing up anyway?? :lol: :)[/quote]

I ain't just you! I enjoy the dressing up as much as the playing :rolleyes:

Other than that, your post illustrates the point perfectly.

I agree with many of your points - whilst I said image isn't important to me, I know it is to others. Thing is, in the type of venues I'm used to playing in (i.e. London toilet circuit, unpaid gigs and no-one giving a sh*t), I'd much rather please a small amount of audience members who actually got into the music than try to impress the type of people who are more interested in my shoes!

[quote name='dannybuoy' post='541372' date='Jul 15 2009, 03:39 PM']I agree with many of your points - whilst I said image isn't important to me, I know it is to others. Thing is, in the type of venues I'm used to playing in (i.e. London toilet circuit, unpaid gigs and no-one giving a sh*t), I'd much rather please a small amount of audience members who actually got into the music than try to impress the type of people who are more interested in my shoes![/quote]

Say's he with one of the sexiest basses I've ever seen :)

[quote name='dannybuoy' post='541372' date='Jul 15 2009, 02:39 PM']I agree with many of your points - whilst I said image isn't important to me, I know it is to others. Thing is, in the type of venues I'm used to playing in (i.e. London toilet circuit, unpaid gigs and no-one giving a sh*t), I'd much rather please a small amount of audience members who actually got into the music than try to impress the type of people who are more interested in my shoes![/quote]

Why not impress all of them? The way you're thinking now, you might be leaving some of your crowd unimpressed! :)

I did the London toilet circuit for years, and you have to use anything at your disposal, in addition to the music, that'll make you stand out from all the other bands doing the same gigs. It's an overcrowded scene, so you do what you can to stand out. Remember, it's all about selling the whole package. The more complete the package, the more chance you'll have of selling it and moving up in the world.

It's about the music, for sure. But it's also about the performance and the look. It's only ever just about the music if you're playing to a room full of blind people and guide dogs. :rolleyes:

Indeed, but as someone else already said, you\'ve got to walk the line between looking like part of the audience and looking like an idiot. In my previous band, I used to wear denim, trainers and a loud punky t-shirt, which fit with the style of the band... one time the singer wanted us to do a gig dressed in army uniforms, for no apparent reason, and I refused. I would have felt like a right dick up there wearing that get up, although some people may be able to pull it off, I'm not one of em... I would've looked like Mike from Spaced!

Edited by dannybuoy

[quote name='skankdelvar' post='541217' date='Jul 15 2009, 12:47 PM']I'm all in favour of working out what visual image will best support the music. But I always wriggle when someone talks about "Uniforms":

[size=1]Sven the psycho guitarist at far left[/size][/quote]

Which one is you then Skank? :)

I've always thought (unless you're going for a glam or custume type image) that the band should look like a cooler version of their audience! Ideally if someone was to see you at the bar they should identify that you are in the band rather than an average punter

If you are after a record deal, etc image is all important - up there with songwriting. Unfortunately, the right haircut may be more important than if you can play or not!

But the worst thing you can do is to look like you are trying too hard......

Edited by peteb

[quote name='Deep Thought' post='541488' date='Jul 15 2009, 06:02 PM']Which one is you then Skank? :)[/quote]

I'm the weird-looking one.

[quote name='peteb' post='541508' date='Jul 15 2009, 06:33 PM']I've always thought ... that the band should look like a cooler version of their audience![/quote]

Excellent rule of thumb. Like your audience, but ramped up by a percentage.

Edited by skankdelvar

[quote name='dannybuoy' post='541372' date='Jul 15 2009, 03:39 PM']I agree with many of your points - whilst I said image isn't important to me, I know it is to others. Thing is, in the type of venues I'm used to playing in (i.e. London toilet circuit, unpaid gigs and no-one giving a sh*t), I'd much rather please a small amount of audience members who actually got into the music than try to impress the type of people who are more interested in my shoes![/quote]

If you are happy with that level of ambition and achievement I'd suggest you do nothing different.
In fact if you just play in rehearsal studios you could cut out the travel, the crap venues, the problem promoters and the people who don't give a sh't...

[quote name='skankdelvar' post='541548' date='Jul 15 2009, 07:09 PM']I'm the weird-looking one.[/quote]

Sorry, can you narrow it down a little?

:)

[quote][quote]
I've always thought ... that the band should look like a cooler version of their audience![/quote]

Excellent rule of thumb. Like your audience, but ramped up by a percentage.
[/quote]

Yeah that sums it up well.

You go to [i]see [/i]a band. That suggests a visual experience. The fact that we are up on a stage is saying to people 'hey look at me'. So IMO it's best to give them something to look at.

Specific geners have their styles, but I'd love to see a string quartet wearing ripped demin and metal t-shirts.

[quote name='MacDaddy' post='541634' date='Jul 15 2009, 09:13 PM']Specific geners have their styles, but I'd love to see a string quartet wearing ripped demin and metal t-shirts.[/quote]

ah, yes, but would they wear ripped up denim and metal t-shirts anyway? ok some would...