Why become a member? ×

Band Image

jmstone

[quote name='thepurpleblob' post='541020' date='Jul 15 2009, 09:54 AM']Being up on stage playing music is inescapably about look and image. It's nearly as important as the music. My band consists of four old, fat, baldy blokes - it's a bit of an odd image but it's still an image. Most pro musicians I know care a great deal about their appearance as it can make the difference between getting the gig or not.

EDIT:
Hang on a minute... who'se the dude in the carefully crafted white shirt and loose tie. You go down the pub like that do you :)

[/quote]

I love that photo. Something very coool about it. Is it you?

Since I inherited the job of frontman with our lot, I've decided that I need to pay a bit of attention to the visual aspect, if only to distract attention from my lousy bass playing and questionable vocals. :) I agree that it's important for at least one of you to stand out visually-I've pretty much taken that upon myself. The other two generally leave it to me-the guitarist likes to be Mr.Casual and pretty much goes onstage wearing what he turned up in-the drummer usually puts on a motorcycle-related shirt. I have no problem with that-I don't feel the need for all three of us to have a united image. It's true that you don't have to be yourself-I've been told several times that I'm a different bloke when I'm onstage. You're putting on a show-no need to go OTT, but it does make a difference.

Unfortunately image is important. My band played a gig a couple of months back at the Underworld and everyone but the guitarist turned up wearing what we have agreed on (black tee's, black jeans, black shoes - apparently should look more 'metal'). In every review we read, people went on about the guitarist looking like an idiot and that was because he was wearing brown boots, not black ones. However petty it can seem going on about image etc, the public will pick up on it which is annoying when they go on about that and not your music.

[quote name='thepurpleblob' post='541020' date='Jul 15 2009, 09:54 AM']Being up on stage playing music is inescapably about look and image. It's nearly as important as the music. My band consists of four old, fat, baldy blokes - it's a bit of an odd image but it's still an image. Most pro musicians I know care a great deal about their appearance as it can make the difference between getting the gig or not.

EDIT:
Hang on a minute... who'se the dude in the carefully crafted white shirt and loose tie. You go down the pub like that do you :)

[/quote]

Haha.. yes! Good spot!

That was attempt number 1 at band image.. Not sure the singer liked the fact I didn't bother to bring cufflinks for the shirt! but I think it was quite funny! See [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n9g99Lej6SE"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n9g99Lej6SE[/url] and [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UkwG70xj7QY"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UkwG70xj7QY[/url]

Attempt number 2 was a DJ - see [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mrzMYCTnFa0"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mrzMYCTnFa0[/url]

Attempt number 3 was jeans and a t-shirt (i.e. what I normally wear).

Guess which one I felt most comfortable with, but was least popular?

I'm not averse to making an effort to go on stage, although I find that kind of thing intensely annoying in my everyday life (some deep character flaw clearly), but I'm at a bit of a loss for what to go for... Any ideas would be gratefully received!

James

[quote name='jmstone' post='540907' date='Jul 15 2009, 02:02 AM']...at least until we get that record deal...[/quote]

Joking aside, the impression I get is that in these troubled times, record companies are looking for that much of a minimal risk investment, that they want the full package before they wave any cash at anybody - that means image, music and everything with it.

If you look the business, that probably goes a long way towards getting your music listened to in the first place. Sure, it's nothing without the substance behind it, but if you're ambitious with the band, you'd be mad to completely ignore it.

Sad but true.

[quote name='Geoff' post='541058' date='Jul 15 2009, 10:25 AM']Unfortunately image is important. My band played a gig a couple of months back at the Underworld and everyone but the guitarist turned up wearing what we have agreed on (black tee's, black jeans, black shoes - apparently should look more 'metal'). In every review we read, people went on about the guitarist looking like an idiot and that was because he was wearing brown boots, not black ones. However petty it can seem going on about image etc, the public will pick up on it which is annoying when they go on about that and not your music.[/quote]

Why is it "unfortunate"?

To me it's like saying, "unfortunately, if you're in a band, the music is important".

If you are in a band that wants to be successful, everything is important.

[quote name='silddx' post='541065' date='Jul 15 2009, 10:30 AM']Why is it "unfortunate"?

To me it's like saying, "unfortunately, if you're in a band, the music is important".

If you are in a band that wants to be successful, everything is important.[/quote]

Its unfortunate because my guitarist is an idiot who doesnt listen to us and so when we play gigs people will judge how good we are on what clothes he's wearing and not our music.

Surely the music should be the most important component.....

Then again judging by a lot of the crap out there that isnt the case and people would rather watch a band that looks good, then listen to a band that sounds good.

[quote name='thedontcarebear' post='541044' date='Jul 15 2009, 10:15 AM']I find this thread quite funny, there is no way on earth that my band would arrange beforehand what we are wearing, people will get home from work, or get up in the morning, put on clothes, then show up to a gig later and play in said clothes.[/quote]

We used to do that.

We were trying to get somewhere (like a record deal) though, so we decided to address every aspect of our band to give us the best possible chance.

[quote name='thedontcarebear' post='541071' date='Jul 15 2009, 10:37 AM']I can't say I look at pictures of bands when listening to their cd's in my car![/quote]

If you go to see a band live, would you be happy if they just had all the house lights on and no stage lighting?

Is what your home looks like important? or just that it protects you from the cold and rain?

[quote name='thedontcarebear' post='541071' date='Jul 15 2009, 10:37 AM']I can't say I look at pictures of bands when listening to their cd's in my car![/quote]

I was trying to think of a witty reply but I'll just leave you with this thought. This girl's quite a reasonable singer I believe but she knows a thing or three about image...

[quote name='mike257' post='541064' date='Jul 15 2009, 10:30 AM']Joking aside, the impression I get is that in these troubled times, record companies are looking for that much of a minimal risk investment, that they want the full package before they wave any cash at anybody - that means image, music and everything with it.

If you look the business, that probably goes a long way towards getting your music listened to in the first place. Sure, it's nothing without the substance behind it, but if you're ambitious with the band, you'd be mad to completely ignore it.

Sad but true.[/quote]

For sure, but another thing is I am really not interested in playing with the band as a full-time job.. so the record deal was more of a tongue-in-cheek comment. I guess the question I am interested in is how much more enjoyable is it to watch a band who have an "image".. Seems like a lot of work, and when I go to see a band I pay about zero interest to what they are wearing, apart to laugh at their ridiculous hairstyles (if they have them).

James

[quote name='silddx' post='541078' date='Jul 15 2009, 10:44 AM']If you go to see a band live, would you be happy if they just had all the house lights on and no stage lighting?

Is what your home looks like important? or just that it protects you from the cold and rain?[/quote]

Yeah, I would not care, been to house shows and played them, didn't think there was anything wrong with the atmosphere there!

My home is not related to a band playing music, there is no connection whatsoever.

[quote name='thedontcarebear' post='541084' date='Jul 15 2009, 10:50 AM']My home is not related to a band playing music, there is no connection whatsoever.[/quote]

And this debate isn't about what the members of a band wear when they're in a recording studio. It's about what they wear when they are playing gigs and doing publicity photos.

S.P.

[quote name='thepurpleblob' post='541080' date='Jul 15 2009, 10:47 AM']I was trying to think of a witty reply but I'll just leave you with this thought. This girl's quite a reasonable singer I believe but she knows a thing or three about image...

[/quote]

Yes. but what do the rest of her band wear? Are they all coordinating? I may be wrong, but I doubt it... (!)

Oh I'm so in the dark here.. perhaps I need to speak to am image consultant! :)

[quote name='jmstone' post='541063' date='Jul 15 2009, 10:30 AM']Haha.. yes! Good spot!

That was attempt number 1 at band image.. Not sure the singer liked the fact I didn't bother to bring cufflinks for the shirt! but I think it was quite funny! See [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n9g99Lej6SE"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n9g99Lej6SE[/url] and [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UkwG70xj7QY"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UkwG70xj7QY[/url]

Attempt number 2 was a DJ - see [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mrzMYCTnFa0"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mrzMYCTnFa0[/url]

Attempt number 3 was jeans and a t-shirt (i.e. what I normally wear).

Guess which one I felt most comfortable with, but was least popular?

I'm not averse to making an effort to go on stage, although I find that kind of thing intensely annoying in my everyday life (some deep character flaw clearly), but I'm at a bit of a loss for what to go for... Any ideas would be gratefully received!

James[/quote]

Call an "Image" meeting. Totally switch from this negative attitude to a positive one and go with whatever she comes up with.

This is such a small thing in the overall scheme of things that it really isn't worth getting in a huff about it and spoiling your enjoyment and the band's enjoyment.

Oh if we are talking image, you and the male guitarist need to start looking at the crowd or the exit signs and stop watching your frets. That will vastly improve your audience's enjoyment of the gig.

If you look like you are having fun they will too.

[quote name='Stylon Pilson' post='541086' date='Jul 15 2009, 10:51 AM']And this debate isn't about what the members of a band wear when they're in a recording studio. It's about what they wear when they are playing gigs and doing publicity photos.

S.P.[/quote]

Sorry, but it is! The music is the same, whatever the situation.

[quote name='thedontcarebear' post='541084' date='Jul 15 2009, 10:50 AM']My home is not related to a band playing music, there is no connection whatsoever.[/quote]

It is directly related. This is a conversation about form and function, and aesthetics.

[quote name='thepurpleblob' post='541080' date='Jul 15 2009, 10:47 AM']I was trying to think of a witty reply but I'll just leave you with this thought. This girl's quite a reasonable singer I believe but she knows a thing or three about image...

[/quote]

You said she sings?

Who cares......

:)