Why become a member? ×

Band Image

jmstone

Ok leave aside the clothing you still have an attitude clash in your band.

If it comes down to a "take me or leave me" battle of egos, you'll loose.

This is because she is the front person, the voice and face of the band and you are basically a replaceable element in her backing band.

It's a sad thing but it's likely that 80% of the forumites could play your basslines, stick a hoodie on, watch his or her frets and no one would notice that anything had changed. If, however, your singer changes many, many people will notice.

Your band mates will side with her if she is good and you'll be the subject of a few meetings and emails to which you have not been invited. A few weeks later you'll get a text .....

Well that's life....

So why not give it a go?

If, however, it is a big deal for you then cut out the time delay and leave now.
You won't win because you'll not convince her that dressing down will further the band's move towards success, whatever she means by that.

Sorry.

[quote name='steve-soar' post='546814' date='Jul 21 2009, 06:15 PM']Er... Paul Simon?[/quote]
When was the last time you saw him in a pub? :)

Not really folk is it, it's amazing songwriting, played on an acoustic occasionally. Surely he had a full band with him too, unless it was a part of a big line up of artists.

Edited by silddx

[quote name='dannybuoy' post='546731' date='Jul 21 2009, 05:05 PM']I'm still defending what I said, in that in that at least in the genres I'm interested in, clothing is not that important. Look at what the Arctic Monkeys, Blur, [b]Sonic Youth[/b], Pearl Jam, and countless others wear on stage.[/quote]

I saw Sonic Youth playing at the Croydon Underground in 1986. I also saw them on George street earlier in the day, strangely enough looking somewhat smarter. Maybe they had just been to a nice restaurant or just felt like the need for a change of clothes. Who knows.

On a side note, a mate supported The Deviants long ago. He said they turned up with their scuzzy leather jackets and ripped jeans neatly packed on coat hangers in dry cleaning bags. :)

[quote name='Tee' post='543094' date='Jul 17 2009, 12:03 PM']I disagree. It certainly adds to the experience in my opinion, particularly live. Look at bands like The Cramps, The Ramones or more recently, Rob Zombie (White Zombie), Marilyn Manson, Slipknot etc... Adding a theatrical and visual aspect to the music you are playing, reinforces it all. Sure it can look dumb to people not into it, but for those who are, it's what they identify with.[/quote]

Well my band is hodge-podge, because we just wanna be what we are...so there are 3 normal looking members then me and my guitarist wear some silly stuff...Looks like some random guy playing guitar who could be out of a marvel comic and a bassist who's lost his regiment and decided to place down his gun and pick up the bass...

...I guess maybe that's a band image maybe...Lol and you hit it with Slipknot...been a fan since I was a teenager...I'm an adult now and STILL love them!
I guess image CAN be good...I just don't like suits that's all...And those damn skinny jeans!

They seek him here, they seek him there,
His clothes are loud, but never square.
It will make or break him so hes got to buy the best,
cause hes a dedicated follower of fashion.

And when he does his little rounds,
round the boutiques of london town,
Eagerly pursuing all the latest fads and trends,

Oh yes he is (oh yes he is), oh yes he is (oh yes he is).
He thinks he is a flower to be looked at,
And when he pulls his frilly nylon panties right up tight,
He feels a dedicated follower of fashion.

Theres one thing that he loves and that is flattery.
One week hes in polka-dots, the next week he is in stripes.

They seek him here, they seek him there,
In regent street and leicester square.
Everywhere the carnabetian army marches on,
Each one an dedicated follower of fashion.

His world is built round discoteques and parties.
This pleasure-seeking individual always looks his best

He flits from shop to shop just like a butterfly.
In matters of the cloth he is as fickle as can be,
Hes a dedicated follower of fashion.
Hes a dedicated follower of fashion.

[quote name='silddx' post='546674' date='Jul 21 2009, 04:30 PM']I am alluding to your using a non-commercial genre of pub music in defence of the argument that dress is not important in a band, when everyone has been saying it is if you want to get beyond the pubs, is a bit like putting your b0ll0cks in a golf ball washer.[/quote]

Where did I say the folk gigs were in pubs? A lot of the things I see are in small to medium sized theatre venues.
I'm not talking about some sh*tty acoustic strumalong in the back room of a bar.

[quote name='OldGit' post='546822' date='Jul 21 2009, 06:23 PM']Ok leave aside the clothing you still have an attitude clash in your band ...You won't win because you'll not convince her that dressing down will further the band's move towards success, whatever she means by that.[/quote]

Nail > Head.

[quote name='RhysP' post='546843' date='Jul 21 2009, 06:42 PM']Where did I say the folk gigs were in pubs? A lot of the things I see are in small to medium sized theatre venues.
I'm not talking about some sh*tty acoustic strumalong in the back room of a bar.[/quote]

My mistake, I read "pubs" when you said "gigs". My own auto-suggestion kicking in :) Sorry.

[quote name='RhysP' post='547037' date='Jul 21 2009, 09:33 PM']I suppose even the beards & Fair isle jumpers of the folk musician are an image of sorts, aren't they?

OK, I give up on this one. :)[/quote]

:rolleyes: I hadn't thought of that but you're quite right of course!

[quote name='OldGit' post='546822' date='Jul 21 2009, 06:23 PM']Ok leave aside the clothing you still have an attitude clash in your band.

This is because she is the front person, the voice and face of the band and you are basically a replaceable element in her backing band.

It's a sad thing but it's likely that 80% of the forumites could play your basslines, stick a hoodie on, watch his or her frets and no one would notice that anything had changed. If, however, your singer changes many, many people will notice.[/quote]

Fair points if only they were true! :) (not that I have given enough info for you to guess otherwise)

But actually, there isn't really a clash of much in the band - more of a confusion over what everyone wants. The other band members seem to side more with me than with her. I am wondering if its worth rethinking my position and trying to convince them to.. From this thread, I am generally thinking this would be a good idea... And thanks for everyone's input. It's really helpful! I'm still not sure what a good image would be though. And point taken with the fret watching - I've been making an effort to move away from that in my last few rehearsals with pretty good results I hope.

Secondly, the band is kind of mine, with at least 50% of the songs from me, as well as finding the other musicians (and her by extension). That being said, I have let the singer take more of a role in leading the band as I like her songs and her image and I think the band works better that way. I agree that anyone could play what I play after spending 5 mins or less listening to the songs, but their songs would be different and then so would the band. Also for some reason our singer thinks I'm good at playing the bass! :rolleyes: If only she knew! LOL..

James

Edit: I agree with you that if she decides to up and leave, the band as we know it will be no more, but it has not come close to that yet, and I would not let that happen unless things turn so nasty that it's untenable (which I don't really foresee happening). This is more of a preemptive effort to get everyone singing from the same page as it were..

Edited by jmstone

[quote name='OldGit' post='546822' date='Jul 21 2009, 06:23 PM']Ok leave aside the clothing you still have an attitude clash in your band.

It's a sad thing but it's likely that 80% of the forumites could play your basslines, stick a hoodie on, watch his or her frets and no one would notice that anything had changed. If, however, your singer changes many, many people will notice.

Your band mates will side with her if she is good and you'll be the subject of a few meetings and emails to which you have not been invited. A few weeks later you'll get a text .....

Well that's life....

So why not give it a go?

If, however, it is a big deal for you then cut out the time delay and leave now.
You won't win because you'll not convince her that dressing down will further the band's move towards success, whatever she means by that.

Sorry.[/quote]

Y'see that's why I LOVE my band! No one is replacable...we're all too big a part of the overall sound, each with a unique instrument talent.
And it would most defo not be easy for someone else to play my basslines...Or for anyone to play the guitar / drums either because it would not sound the same, once they get past the ability to play them.

But we are just as much of the stage as the vocalist, I can't do this stand behind the guitarist thing, the band is made of equal members all creating one big sound...that means no one can hide. :)
Plus...I'm too outgoing to do that...I REALLY wanna find how dangerous a mosh pit is with a bass in hand once I get my wireless...If one breaks right in front of me up front stage I have a HUGE urge to jump in. LOL!
But...I love my bass too much so I spose I could put it down...but then the sound looses it's driving beef...so ya see, bassists contrebute more than many think.
Yeah ok, a walking line maybe but a lot of people are unique in creation...SOmeone may be able to actually play yes, but never create the feel you did.

So seriously...I dunno bout most bands but I LOVE mine...If one member leave, it will fall apart...the last band did with similar members, so would this...cept this one wont. :rolleyes:

Edited by Kongo

[quote name='Kongo' post='547217' date='Jul 22 2009, 01:00 AM']Y'see that's why I LOVE my band! No one is replacable...we're all too big a part of the overall sound, each with a unique instrument talent.
And it would most defo not be easy for someone else to play my basslines...Or for anyone to play the guitar / drums either because it would not sound the same, once they get past the ability to play them.

But we are just as much of the stage as the vocalist, I can't do this stand behind the guitarist thing, the band is made of equal members all creating one big sound...that means no one can hide. :)
Plus...I'm too outgoing to do that...I REALLY wanna find how dangerous a mosh pit is with a bass in hand once I get my wireless...If one breaks right in front of me up front stage I have a HUGE urge to jump in. LOL!
But...I love my bass too much so I spose I could put it down...but then the sound looses it's driving beef...so ya see, bassists contrebute more than many think.
Yeah ok, a walking line maybe but a lot of people are unique in creation...SOmeone may be able to actually play yes, but never create the feel you did.

So seriously...I dunno bout most bands but I LOVE mine...If one member leave, it will fall apart...the last band did with similar members, so would this...cept this one wont. :lol:[/quote]

Tempting fate there, mate :rolleyes:

In my current band, we had ot kick out the second guitarist, and with him quite a few fans. The problem was that when he was in the band, we would all really bring in different groups of people to the gigs. So I got in all the socially unstable ones (cos I make frinds with them - it's called being nice :lol:), the drummer would bring in all the senior management (he was the head boy :rolleyes:) the lead guitarist would generally bring in all the cool people, the singer all the other cool people who were too cool to speak to the slightly-less-cool people that the lead guitarist brought in and the second guitarist would bring in all the chavs! So when the second guitarist got kicked out, we lost about 20 fans (99%) of the people attending the gigs.

However, as in kongo's band, we all contribute things equally. Our drummer is ridiculously technical in his beats, the singer has perfect pitch and it the main image of the band, the guitarist doesn't solo - he performs witchcraft, and I come up with basslines, etc. that IMO are unique to me! Plus I'm the only good-looking one in the band :)

I play in a grunge band and would love to say "Image doesn't matter, it's a social construct..."
But TBH:
1) When I go and see other bands, and they look terrible, like they all want to be in differnet bands, it's awful, even if the musics great. I feel the same if people play the tracks standing perfect still, like they're recording or something.
2) I feel most comfortable in my old pants, and a stained Nirvana Tee. However, knowing that I'm going to be standing, playing to loads of cute female adoring fans (ahem...) I want to make an effort.

I guess it's personal choice between looks, and performance. But I ask you, would you sleep with Susan Boyle if you knew she was amazing in bed? Nor would I.

[quote name='Happy Jack' post='550120' date='Jul 24 2009, 01:03 PM']Smart casual works ...

[attachment=29501:Beatles_...age_1960.jpg]

... but the drummer got it wrong. Again.[/quote]

The bassist forgot he was a bassist too! Looks like he's going to kill someone.

[quote name='Happy Jack' post='550229' date='Jul 24 2009, 02:30 PM']Hey, give him a break! He wasn't a bassist yet ...[/quote]

From wikipedia:
"...Prior to the end of the residency, Sutcliffe left the band, so McCartney, [b]reluctantly*[/b], became The Beatles' bass player".

*Emphasis added by me

A reluctant bassist eh? Never did like that McCartney none.