Why become a member? ×

Fretless v Fretted - I'm stuck

Delberthot

Recently I bought myself a really nice Squier VM Jazz fretless and did a few gigs with it. I liked it so much that I decided to get a fretless neck for my Warmoth gold bass.

I'm really loving the fretless sound but missing the frets as well

In my wedding band, too often I simply don't have the time to change basses depending on the song we are playing so I have to play the song(s) using whatever bass I have on at the time.

My solution is simple but different - I have thought about building a double neck with a switch between to quickly change the output between fretless and fretted.

The difference between what I have in mind and a regular double neck are that I have never seen the point of having such a great space between necks. Since bulding a body from scratch is beyond what I can be bothered doing, I have thought about buying a couple of bodies, cutting them down and gluing them together. Possibly using a left hand neck on the bottom so that I can get them closer together.

I only see the need to have maybe 3 inches between necks to allow for quick changes.

My only concern is that using 2 necks will mean that the bass will be be neck heavy. I could use lightweight tuners or a heavier body wood but want to try and keep the overall weight down.

Has anyone else here come across a way to avoid the inevitable neck heaviness and would anyone here be able to build me a simple body to take 2 necks to avoid having to chop up 2 perfectly good ones cos I've got a shower suite to fit, hall to decorate, back garden to flatten, etc when I come back my hols?

This is all theoretical of course. If it turns out to be too much of a PITA to do then I'll probably fire the wenge neck back on the gold bass and keep a hold of the Jazz instead of the present plan to sell it.

[quote name='Crazykiwi' post='538217' date='Jul 12 2009, 12:13 AM']Out of pure interest, how many songs would you use the fretless on?[/quote]

At the minute I'm using it on everything. I feel equally as comfortable playing fretless or fretted on any song that we do. It would purely be for my own self -indulgence - that and I'm a show-off. Why else would I have a sparkly gold bass?

Edited by Delberthot

None of this makes sense to me...

Twin neck..way too heavy and you'd want to put it down as soon as.... so there is your guitar change..

If the songs voice for a a fretless or fretted then you'll need to swap... if you are playing everything on one or the other, then that is the compromise that is a fucntion band...

If you literally read the audience and have to go all over the place with your song choice and keep the music playing.. then this set-up doesn't really cater for specifc sounds per song..

Good luck with whatever you do but the twin neck sounds insane, costly to build and will be impossible to shift..

[quote name='JTUK' post='538263' date='Jul 12 2009, 07:06 AM']None of this makes sense to me.......
...the twin neck sounds insane, costly to build and will be impossible to shift..[/quote]
[quote name='Delberthot' post='538244' date='Jul 12 2009, 02:25 AM']It would purely be for my own self -indulgence - that and I'm a show-off.[/quote]

:) I'm staying right out of this.

I can't remember who it was, but i remember reading on one luthiers site that they use some tiny frets, either banjo or mandolin, as it means there's the least amount of metal between the string and fretboard to get the most fretlessy sound possible. no idea if it works but it's worth trying.

Edit: I think it may have been dingwall.

Edited by Zach

[quote name='Paul_C' post='538229' date='Jul 12 2009, 12:45 AM'][url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J2WOOIZXNks"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J2WOOIZXNks[/url]

[url="http://www.mikeyguitar.com/bass.asp"]http://www.mikeyguitar.com/bass.asp[/url][/quote]

"Prices start from $5,000 USD". Ouch :)

I had a headless double neck built in about 86, fretted and fretless mainly to switch between the two during songs (it was a proggy band tbh).

Damn thing nearly killed me, waaaay too heavy and unwieldy, ended up stripping it for the hardware and skipping it.

How long does it take to switch a bass over with a good footswitch switcher?

Alternatively, buy an Chapman NS Stick half-fretless and string it like 2 bases on 1 neck!!! A steal for £2500.

I've been musing over the idea of a fretted/fretless double neck for a couple of years - I knocked up a rough idea of how such a beast might work:

Theoretically it wouldn't be physically that much bigger than a conventional bass - my idea would be to make the body myself & everything else should be pretty easy to source.

My band does have a song or two which would benefit from some slidiness - and the pose value is incalculable... :)

Jon.

Get in touch with this Fleabay seller, I sure he will find something to suit :)
[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NEW-PRO-QUINT-NECK-GUITAR-TRIPLE-and-DOUBLE-NECKS-Xs-5_W0QQitemZ190252730346QQcmdZViewItemQQptZGuitar?hash=item2c4bf247ea&_trksid=p3911.c0.m14&_trkparms=65%3A12|66%3A2|39%3A1|72%3A1683|293%3A1|294%3A50"]WTF?[/url]

Well that's a shame cos I've just put the original neck back on again. :)

I'm going to give it a go using the gold one and the Squier fretless. Maybe see if i can get a hold of a decent A/B box.

Still liking the double neck stick bass though so may keep a look out for one that someone's maybe found beside Shergar, Lord Lucan and Robert Maxwell.