Why become a member? ×

Is it possible to have too many basses?

GreeneKing

I don't even like to dwell on how many basses have passed through my sticky mitts over the past 12 years or so. When I visit my Photobucket account it causes me slight embarrassment even though I weeded it a year or so ago.

I collected my Harlot in February and it was supposed to be my bass to end my quest. The trouble with the human ego is that if it's allowed it's head it's never satisfied and there's always something around the corner that will provide temporary relief. Until the next time. GAS!

My band mates look on in slight bewilderment as I turn up with a different bass on a regular basis. Spector, Spector with ACG 02 Pre, Warmoth Darkstar, Yamaha BB1500A, TRB4P, Overwater, G&L, Warwick Thumb, Rickenbacker.......

They say a change is as good as a rest and that's part of the issue here, all my basses sound good and a different tone sometimes sounds better just because it's new. A bit like when someone else plays your bass and it immediately sounds better.

Do I notice a difference in tone or playability with each different bass? Yes I do. I know that some practices sound really good and the bass tends to play itself. The Overwater neck is particularly nice. None of my bases fail to do the job though.

But, recently I've found myself going back to the ACG I can honestly say it reminds me that it was made for me. Why did I ever pick up anything else? What was I looking for? The action is spot on, the ergonomics are perfect and the neck profile is 2nd to none. The ACG01 tone is sooo rich, full and versatile. I don't use the full range but love to move between a dub sound and a Jazz bark. Visually when I look down at the neck I see a superbly finished and crafted bass and this really does matter.

It makes me realise that for me having more basses than cover all the basses (pardon the pun) is actually pointless and that GAS is more about an out of control ego that a search for the right 'one'. I've probably had at least 60 basses pass through my life, so many that I doubt I can remember them all. All the ones I own now are a bit special to me but I definately can't justify them all. I'd still like to find a Jazz bass that fills my expectations I suppose :)

So yes I think you probably can.

I say, if it's making you happy... then it's NEVER possible to have too many!

Surely we all work too hard in jobs we either tolerate or dislike, isn't life about the moments when we can devote time and attention to our art and the tools thereof!

The basses in your collection (and in previous collections) sound utterly stunning and I hope you're happy with the many more you pick up along the way!

I am alas only on my 4th bass as I'm a poor student but I've loved them all and wish I still had some...

I went from a cheap Westfield Jazz bass copy (which was dire.. but 1st bass and all the rest!) to a Fender Jazz 24 in Cherryburst (which I still have and love!) then ended up with a Musicman SUB which is my greatest regret that I sold and finally I have a Warwick Streamer STD which is a dream come true!

It's all played out of a Mesa Walkabout Scout which is my favourite piece of gear I've ever owned but is having to leave my grasp soon as I'm in dire straits!

here's to MORE ridiculous basses on all our behalfs!

I recently aquired an overwater Perception, have 2 jazzes, a stingray, 5string Yamaha, and a bitsa, but always seem to pick up
my stingray first when i have a practice.
Only had the overwater for a short time and haven't had much chance to exercise it's capabilities, but still loosen up with the 'ray.
Just pick it up automatically...

Too many at once? Or too many over a period of time?

Guilty on both counts, M'Lord.

I've been pruning ruthlessly over the last few months. From a peak of 27 (I know, I know) I managed to get right down to 10 ... and now it's gone back up to 11.

In all fairness (and see my sig) I'm still trying to sell!

[quote name='Happy Jack' post='528847' date='Jun 30 2009, 05:22 PM']Too many at once? Or too many over a period of time?

Guilty on both counts, M'Lord.

I've been pruning ruthlessly over the last few months. From a peak of 27 (I know, I know) I managed to get right down to 10 ... and now it's gone back up to 11.

In all fairness (and see my sig) I'm still trying to sell![/quote]

I'm similar, about 22 max down to 7, one for sale, one being built and one incoming.

My point is I suppose that I don't reckon the quest for bass happiness ever achieves it fully because it's not about 'the' bass but something different, new, until the next time?

Peter, as you probably gathered from our long conversation the other week I'd definitely say "yes". I think it depends on what you actually want out of it though, if you want to be a collector then its great. Personally I never intended to be a collector and buying basses ended up being a substitute for playing during a period where I was not in a band.

I've always wanted to be a player though, and if thats your goal I'd suggest that too many basses is a distraction from what you are trying to achieve; bonding with an instrument and learning to express yourself on it. Sure we all appreciate that different basses have different sounds and characteristics but how many do you realistically need? I've gone full circle and settled on the P Bass thing, writing original material I just want something simple thats a joy to play. Playing in a covers/function band I would probably prefer something more versatile (unless it was blues:P)

Can you be both though? Not sure about that one, doesn't seem to work for me however :)

[quote name='Legion' post='528912' date='Jun 30 2009, 06:12 PM']... if you want to be a collector then its great.[/quote]

For me the collector thing was to do with Hofners (17 of my 27 were vintage Hofners, now reduced to 5) but that was always a sideshow to learning to play bass properly.

[quote name='Legion' post='528912' date='Jun 30 2009, 06:12 PM']I've gone full circle and settled on the P Bass thing ...[/quote]

Seeing as I didn't start with a P, I can hardly "go full circle" to end there - but end there is what I seem to have done. :)

The main reason I've been through so many basses is such a relatively short period is that I've been trying to make up for lost time and finding out what really works for me.

I've played a variety of really great basses, but where I've ended up is that I like walking on stage with a P-bass and a 5-string. Since I play mainly in pubs I need a pair of basses that wouldn't make me suicidal if they got damaged or stolen. Since I love nice things, I need a pair of basses that make my heart sing when I pick then up.

So that'll be four basses then ... :rolleyes:

I think it's definately a mental problem in my case. Not so much how many I have got but how many I get through!!
I like to try different stuff however and you only live once.
I would personally prefer to have 2 or 3 basses that were exactly what I wanted than spend the same amount of money and have say 20 basses.
I do think there is a lot to be said for settling for a bass and playing it exclusively however.
I also think that a decent strategy would be too have one or two keepers that you play all the time and then have another bass or two that you can use to sell to then buy other gear to try.

Thank God I am settled on my Berg Stack!!

I think it's really easy to get 'hooked' on the thrill of buying new basses.. I've definitely have been down that road before and had some hilarious times with bass playing mates swapping stories/ideas about the best way to sneak in yet another bass before the Mrs finds out! :)

I think I've had most of the really well known makes over the years; Fender P, Fender J, Musicman, Warwick, Spector, Rickenbacker, Peavey etc, etc. Plus some high end stuff like Wal, early Tobias, MTD, Lakland and some other quirkier & cheaper basses too.. Bought lots and sold lots and there's just a few of them I really wish I'd kept.. Wierd thing is, though I've had some proper 'vintage' basses, they're not the ones I miss!!

Anyway, about ten years ago, when I had 9 basses which was the most I've ever owned at one time, I remember thinking to myself how stupid it was that I had all these instruments sitting around gathering dust not being played!

So slowly over the last few years, as I've started to gig more and more, I've got my collection down to 4 working basses that get used all the time:

2 x 5 strings
2 x 4 strings

That pretty much keeps me happy and covers all angles when it comes to playing a wide cross-section of music, which is what we do in our covers band..

Now; if only I could get my rig sorted, I'd be really, really happy :rolleyes:

Edited by silverfoxnik

I think you've got too many when you either:

[list=1]
[*]Spend more time dusting than playing.
[*]Spend more time setting up / changing strings than playing.
[*]Get plenty of playing time but have lots of either dusty or dead-strung basses.
[*]Have more than two "special occasion" basses (that you keep around because you might need that sound one day).
[/list]

If I wasn't from Yorkshire and therefore tight I'd have:

My Thumb because it's lovely.
A fretless (just sold one, still need to replace it).
A Fender with flats on (well I have a Squier, I am from Yorkshire to be fair).
A decent five (preferably an early Streamer I think).
An upright, or a fretless Godin Acoustibass/A4|5 strung with flats.

I don't think I could justify having more than that. They'd never get played either.

Edited by thisnameistaken

my take on this is that it's not about the quantity but whether you play them or not. I've never owned a bass that I wouldn't take to a dingy rehearsal space or play at a gig. if you use them for what they are intended, and you enjoy them then fantastic.

My problem is that if I ever had more than 3 basses I would probably spend all my time swapping basses and not actually practicing. The most i've had at any one time is 4 (all 4 strings, one fretless). Now I'm down to 2 with another being built. I've bought 7 basses total in my 12 years playing (which is quite reserved by BassChat standards).

If you can afford it then why not? I'd love to get to a point where one bass does everything for me, but I don't think that's possible. Maybe one and a backup/spare.

As I have no doubt mentioned before, the rule in the house is "instruments are to be played". So if there's a bass I don't use on at least an occasional basis then it gets sold. No sentimentality.

I seem to hover around the 6 mark.

I thought GAS was something I suffered with but I have since found its more to do with just finding what I am happy with.

When I was learning to play I went through a few basses but most of those were upgrades to better basses. Washburn, Tokai, Fender MIM etc and I stopped at an ESP 400 series Jazz which is truely remarkable. When I got my first advance, I bought the basses of my dreams, a Musicman and a 1977 Fender Precision. I also bought a 1973 Fender Telecaster bass. I had no desire for any other bass. When I stopped playing, I sold everything (bad move) apart from the ESP. Since starting up again a few years back, it was like everything was re-set and I had to start again. I bought and sold a Telecaster re-issue bass. Great bass but not the sound or feel I was after. I then got another Musicman which is amazing and I did use it a fair amount but again, not the sound or feel I need and so, rather than sell it (I've learnt my lesson) its packed away. I then bought a Lakland Duck Dunn. Amazing bass and the perfect Precision sound for when I need it. However, it's not the sound I need. I kept going back to my ESP Jazz so I bought a Fender 1975 Classic Jazz. A great great bass with a wicked neck but the sound was not right. It should had been my main bass but my ESP sounds better. So, I sold that and have just bought a Lakland Darryl Jones and OMG, this is the perfect bass. It plays and feels amazing and the sound is on par if not maybe a little better than my ESP. I have reached my goal.

So for me, its more of a case of finding the right bass from a practical point of view rather than wanting more from a desire stand point. I have the perfect Jazz, the perfect Precision, my Stingray which was always my dream bass and my ESP as the back up bass. In theory, I want no more basses. However, if money ever allows, then my perfect collection would have a Fender Telecaster/51 re-issue bass in blonde but I am not gassing for it.

If all the basses make you happy, then you don't have too many. I would love to have a huge collection but budget prevents me. I'm also pretty picky when it comes to buying. I've been playing the same P-bass for about 7-8 years, and only buy another new bass if I thinks it feels and plays better than said P-bass. I'm never gonna sell the thing and what is the point of buying another bass that wouldn't replace it for day to day gigging, rehearsing recording etc. To date I have bought 2 basses in 5 years, and one of those was a Squier just in case the P-bass went wrong on the road. However, if I had more money, I would be buying a lot more instruments!

I know there is something to be said for taking one or two basses and committing yourself to them, but if you have the money to buy a lot of cool basses and they make you happy, then go for it and don't let anyone else try to bring you down!