Why become a member? ×

bridge covers on a p bass

aardys

My Squier Classic Vibes 60's Precision has one on as standard and I think it looks quite classy. I wouldn't install one on another bass however, as you have to remove it to change the strings and I would be concerned that the regular screwing/unscrewing would weaken the wood around the screws, eventually making it very loose or even fall off.

I like the ashtrays in their full splendor. For me they don't get in the way at all as I always play with my fingers just behind the pickup cover on both a Jazz and a Precision. Personally I don't think you can beat the look of a Fender bass with all it's ashtrays on.

I was never a big fan until I bought a vintage Precision with the original ashtrays still in place.

Now I really like them and wouldn't consider removing them.

My Lakland Duck Dunn came with no ashtrays (of course) and I feel no great need to put any on.

Go figure. :)

I have ashtrays on both my basses & have done since the late 90s.

Out of interest, does anyone happen to know if the bridge ashtray wll fit over an American Standard P-bass High Mass Vintage bridge? I assume it does because of the use of the word "vintage" but wonder if anyone has first hand knowledge.

[quote name='BurritoBass' post='519539' date='Jun 20 2009, 08:00 PM']I have ashtrays on both my basses & have done since the late 90s.

Out of interest, does anyone happen to know if the bridge ashtray wll fit over an American Standard P-bass High Mass Vintage bridge? I assume it does because of the use of the word "vintage" but wonder if anyone has first hand knowledge.[/quote]

If you are talking about the new model, yes it will. Here is a pic of my 2008 model with full covers, since traded.

Jez

[attachment=27429:SUNP0044.JPG]

What's your opinion on the effect on the tone? I hear some bassists who think the somewhat bell-like resonance of the bridge cover influences the resonance of the body and is picked up by the pickups, but most think that's pure rubbish and you can't hear a difference. And there's also bassists who say the pickup cover influences the flux and magnetic field of the pickup.

[quote name='jezzaboy' post='519548' date='Jun 20 2009, 08:11 PM']If you are talking about the new model, yes it will. Here is a pic of my 2008 model with full covers, since traded.

Jez

[attachment=27429:SUNP0044.JPG][/quote]

Thanks Jez & very nice bass too!

[quote name='LeftyJ' post='519615' date='Jun 20 2009, 10:16 PM']What's your opinion on the effect on the tone? I hear some bassists who think the somewhat bell-like resonance of the bridge cover influences the resonance of the body and is picked up by the pickups, but most think that's pure rubbish and you can't hear a difference. And there's also bassists who say the pickup cover influences the flux and magnetic field of the pickup.[/quote]
Can´t say I hear a difference in the amplified sound. Unplugged however, my P is noticeably louder with the covers on. They seem to act as some kind of resonance chamber. It´s not a huge difference but I can hear myself better when practicing in front of the TV :).

I like them but on my SX P bass with a diffrent bridge it wont go on.
I dont like the pickup covers but a funny thing is since I got my Rickenbacker 4003 copy , it came with the bridge pickup cover & I like playing it with it on. I have tried it both on & off but I have left it on.
When some one worries about wood stripping etc on screws into body simple just remove the cover & fill up the hole with super glue.or expoy glue, Wait 1/2 hour & reinstall the screws it will make the wood like steel ie wont beable to stripp it

Love the look of them, but unfortunately they don't agree with my playing technique :)
I like to pluck directly above the pickup, & when playing with a pick sometimes dampen on the bridge.

Never understood the fascination for the covers on Fenders. Was there a practical reason for the pickup covers? I know that the bridge cover held a foam string damper, but I can't see any possible use for the cover over the pickup. Were fender taking stylistic cues from Rickenbacker where the 'pickup cover' on the early models was actually part of the magnet assembly?

Also from a retro PoV all I can remember is reading interviews with bassists in the 70s where they were nearly all saying that the first thing they did on getting a new Fender was to remove the covers...

[quote name='aardys' post='519475' date='Jun 20 2009, 06:15 PM']do any of you like the cover over the bridge on a p bass.
i sorta like the vintage look of it, but cant make my mind up .[/quote]

you will need to keep the BPOM leo invented for through stringing
a badass wont let you get an ashtray on

they look cool though..ashtrays

Edited by mrcrow

[quote name='nick' post='519846' date='Jun 21 2009, 11:24 AM']Love the look of them, but unfortunately they don't agree with my playing technique :)
I like to pluck directly above the pickup, & when playing with a pick sometimes dampen on the bridge.[/quote]

+1 for me too.

Loving the look, doesn't get played much:
[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?s=&showtopic=51455&view=findpost&p=511277"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?s=&sho...st&p=511277[/url]

[quote name='BigRedX' post='520070' date='Jun 21 2009, 05:09 PM']Never understood the fascination for the covers on Fenders. Was there a practical reason for the pickup covers? I know that the bridge cover held a foam string damper, but I can't see any possible use for the cover over the pickup.[/quote]
As I understand it, it's a handrest. In conjunction with the finger-rest on the "wrong" side, the intent was that you rest the edge of your palm on the cover, anchor your fingers on the rest & pluck with your thumb!

I like the look of them but can't easily play with them in place - I either need to use the top of the pup as a thumbrest, or if I'm using a plectrum, rest the edge of my palm just behind the saddles.

Jon.

[quote name='aardys' post='519475' date='Jun 20 2009, 06:15 PM']do any of you like the cover over the bridge on a p bass.
i sorta like the vintage look of it, but cant make my mind up .[/quote]

over the bridge dear friends....the pup one is a fools errand