Why become a member? ×

Regrets, I've had a few...

Pete Academy

Another of my regrets is missing out on basses I could have probably had an amazing time with, because of silly money worries. I like to keep a cash float in my bank and never like to go below it, and this has caused me to miss out on a few great basses I've been offered. Probably the biggest regrets there are a Sound Of Sweden Jonas Hellborg bass and Kingbass #4. Grr.....

[quote name='farmer61' post='757836' date='Feb 26 2010, 07:45 AM']Selling my first bass to fund an engagement ring - 34 years ago :)[/quote]

Had something similar.

I had a choice between putting a deposit on a guitar and taking a girl out. The girl won and we eventually married and divorced.

My now wife heard me tell the story and found me the guitar, so all things turn out right in the end. :rolleyes:

PS. The guitar was a 1988 Charvel 475 Ltd Edition in Platinum Crackle. 350 worldwide and 50 came to the UK.

Edited by 7string

Selling my Westone Thunder 2 (that my Dad bought me for my 15th birthday), so that I could get the money to take a girl on holiday. I then gave up playing because I was too mature and sensible for such childish things. I was 20 and didn't pick up a bass again until I was 37.

When I started playing in a band again I really realised what I had missed. That's a big regret. Plus I reckon that if I had still been playing I wouldn't have been such a boring old fart throughout my 20s.

Last year I found my bass for sale on ebay and bought it back. The only scratch on it was one that I had put there 20 years previously.
Oh and I'm still with the girl.

Having faith in american managers I've had over the course of my career. Every one, every SINGLE one has been dysfunctional. Technically very good but wouldn't understand empathy if it stood up and smacked them in the gob for looking at them funny.

[list=1]
[*]Not snapping up the Wal Pro/Custom in GAK last year (or possibly the year before)
[*]Letting a load of spare covers and inserts to the single my band produced years ago go I know not where when my parents moved from their old house. I've seen them go on Fleabay and advertised elsewhere for £40+ in the past and I still have about 150 in paper sleeves in my garage to drip feed to the market :)
[/list]

• 4 weeks later...

[quote name='elom' post='760372' date='Mar 1 2010, 01:57 AM']Selling my Westone Thunder 2 (that my Dad bought me for my 15th birthday), so that I could get the money to take a girl on holiday. I then gave up playing because I was too mature and sensible for such childish things. I was 20 and didn't pick up a bass again until I was 37.

When I started playing in a band again I really realised what I had missed. That's a big regret. Plus I reckon that if I had still been playing I wouldn't have been such a boring old fart throughout my 20s.

Last year I found my bass for sale on ebay and bought it back. The only scratch on it was one that I had put there 20 years previously.
Oh and I'm still with the girl.[/quote]

Great Story - you could do a film. I'm touched, glad you got the Westone Back. I loved those things and wish I got one when I had the chance in the early 1990's

If we're talking about letting bass gear go.. oh the list is long!

My SVT2 Pro and a pair of Hartke 4.5XL's. I think I've probably spent all the years since then searching for the same tone in a lighter box. Lets face it - it ain't gonna happen!

So, why, when I had an amazing rig did I sell:
My Powersoft D2004 and a pair of Tech Soundsystem ND410s cabinets?

Well obviously to pay for my ole Epifani UL610.. but in a fit of madness, I sold that because.. because.. there was absolutely nothing wrong with it - My ears just fancied a change. Well, thanks ears.. next time keep your thoughts to yourself!!! - oh great... now I can hear voices.....

Which also suprprises me, because the feckin ringing never stops long enough for the voices to be heard!!!

[u]So WHERE IS the Jon Shuker of the Bass amp/cab world?[/u] My basses are amazing. Like a Tattoo I know that there is no way that I can or will part with them. but WHY has bass gear been so flippin' annoying for me?

[quote name='waynepunkdude' post='788463' date='Mar 28 2010, 12:46 PM']Regret that you didn't throw it off of something taller?[/quote]

:)
Oi!

Compared to my knackered Aria (was my main bass at the time) it's bloody lovely to play.
For the tiny amount I paid for it I can't fault it.
:rolleyes:

Edited by bartelby

[quote name='waynepunkdude' post='788493' date='Mar 28 2010, 01:42 PM']Sorry man I'm just joshing I just have a real dislike for Deans.[/quote]

s'ok. I know you were messing.

I was never a fan of them but I needed a cheap bass and found the Dean.
Like I said, I was impressed by if for what I paid.
I found it more comfortable to play than a lot of the more expensive basses I've owned.

Selling my Riverhead Jupiter bass - When I listen to the demo I did when I was 19 it really makes no sense why I sold it. I've been looking for it ever since. I was really into Nathan East's playing at the time and seeing him with that big white Yamaha TRB6 made me want something similar so I traded it for:

White Bass Collection SB305 passive 5 string. One of the best basses I've owned. Really easy to play, light and a great B string. Sold it when I bought my black Stringray 5 string

Sonic Blue Status T Bass 5 string that I had defretted - sold it for peanuts, KP if I remember correctly

3 basses out of about 70 isn't bad going. no amp/effects regrets though - every one a gem.

I sold a Fender 09 American Std P Bass because I didn't play it, it was absolutely mint and I was too worried about scratching or damaging it, stupid really. I used the funds to buy my Marcus Miller and a WD neck, which was sh*te. I've since put a Mighty Mite neck on and I love it. If I'd waited a week though I could've had a 70s Classic Jazz in sunburst off here for only £400, I was offered first dibs on it. Suffice to say, the MM body, 2 necks and the cost of having 2 necks fitted was significantly more than £400, but after all that I wish I'd kept the Precision :)

I also once traded an Epiphone Gold Top worth £500+ for a Squier Tele worth less than £200. Gutted.

Oh, and my MIM Jazz is sage green, because it was the only one they had in the shop and I was too impatient to wait 3 days for them to order in a black one.