Why become a member? ×

Regrets, I've had a few...

Pete Academy

[quote name='MSL' post='757789' date='Feb 26 2010, 01:34 AM']Some one once said the Jota looked like it was doing 100 mph while standing still. Nothing else sounds like it.[/quote]

+1

There's nothing - nothing that sounds like a 180 deg' Laverda at full bore heading towards it's red line!

Do you hear me? Nothing!

Ok, I'll shaddup now.... :)

regrets

...Selling my first amp head, a 1960s fender bassman silverface (bought in a junk shop in Scunthorpe in 1986 for £50) to buy....wait for it.....a cougar 115 combo. Why? because it was new and extra 50w. Obviously it pailed in comparison. I weep when I see what those heads go for on ebay. Consolation...I was 18 and just didn't know any better.

...buying my peavey 1820 cab, rather than something that can be moved without a forklift truck. Ok slight exageration, but I can't shift it on my own and thats a hassle. At the time bigger was definately better.

....buying my Epiphone EB3. Actually I have mixed feelings about it. It looks amazing and plays well. But having got to know it I just wish it was, well, better. The bridge falls to bits when I change the strings, the set neck feels a bit cheap and the pickups (although ok combined) are naff individually. Record with it? I don't think so. I'm loathed to part with it tho. Its the classic dilema "dead good looking vs slightly annoying". Ring any bells? :-)

Mine was surrounding myself with the wrong people when I was at University at Leeds. I'd been playing for 2 years and i should have sseked out musician/bands and the local music scene. Looking back it was a golden opportunity to practice practice and more pracctice before entering the rela word of nine to five. Now I struggle to pick up the bass more than twice a week for more than an hour and play in part time band which doesent satisfy my bass playing desire.

Going back even further, I should have done GCSE Music rather than History. I certain it would have put my on the correct course to becoeming a musician. having said all that I wouldnt have met my lovely partner and had my son.

Swapping my tobacco sunburst Ibanez Artist (6 string) guitar for a naff Antoria Acoutsic I still have but never use.

Mostly, my regrets revolve around not studying enough and not practising enough and not composing enough. Not being ready for the opportunities I had to play with Iain Ballamy and Stan Sultzman. There is also my 1999 aborted double bass experience that should have turned out differently. I am doing something about that now but do regret the wasted decade of not playing the instrument. Would love to have that back!!

[quote name='Bilbo' post='758050' date='Feb 26 2010, 11:47 AM']There is also my 1999 aborted double bass experience that should have turned out differently. I am doing something about that now but do regret the wasted decade of not playing the instrument. Would love to have that back!![/quote]

Yeah I really regret not trying harder the last time I decided to take up double bass (15 years ago). Should've got it set up properly and it wouldn't have scared me off so easily.

my dad took a "maddy" as i would say and chucked all his/my
viynal in the bin i had to bin rake for a couple billy connolly albums and a
sgt peppers album thats all i could salvage from a rake of good stuff that
my dad threw away cos he had an argument with my mum utterly mental
goes on all the time bout what he had but fails to mention it was him that chucked
them not my regret but still a big one :) :rolleyes:

Two for me, first was selling my prized Westone Thunder 3 fretless in 89 for peanuts.

The second was being badgered to turn up for a 'trial' with some no hopers in the nineties (but I was too busy!) their bass player had just left after a fall out with the others
it later transpired the bass player that went missing was John Taylor and the band were called Duran something! The gig went to some canadian guy who has since been replaced by the original - so perhaps it was for the best anyway!

I'm on my 50th bass and there's lots I let pass that I miss but I'm most gutted about an '88 black six string status energy and my honey coloured Warwick streamer lx and the walnut body I had to sell in bad circumstances at Christmas without ever even seeing, I still have loads of bits to go on it :-( both basses were sold in a panic to clear debt and both utterly missed everytime I go in the spare room where my now very small bass collection lives.
If the Warwick ever came up I'd snap it up. Gutted.

[quote name='bassatnight' post='759627' date='Feb 28 2010, 10:38 AM']Two for me, first was selling my prized Westone Thunder 3 fretless in 89 for peanuts.

The second was being badgered to turn up for a 'trial' with some no hopers in the nineties (but I was too busy!) their bass player had just left after a fall out with the others
it later transpired the bass player that went missing was John Taylor and the band were called Duran something! The gig went to some canadian guy who has since been replaced by the original - so perhaps it was for the best anyway![/quote]
Would have sold my left nut for that audition!