Why become a member? ×

Red, Sparkly Bass *Shuker Build*

largo

OK, having sold one of my Sei Jazz basses and the 20% hike on Sei's prices I've opted to go with Jon Shuker for my next bass build.
Been a while in progress, more than the 12 weeks quoted but the Nordstrand pickups have held things up by a few weeks.
Anyway, for those that's interested here's the specs and some build pictures too.

The whole idea is a Jazz bass to match the drummers red sparkle Mapex kit. That's show business !

Shuker Jazz 5 string in traditional styling
34" scale
21 frets
Maple set neck with rosewood fingerboard and block inlays
Red side LEDS
Nordstrand Big Single pickups
Shuker 3-band EQ with active/passive switch
Red Sparkle finish with matching headstock
Vintage White scratchplate
Chrome hardware

I also asked Jon for a Fodera-style neck join as I want an oil finished neck but a painted body and I thought this would look good. See the pics ;-)

Fingerboard ...

Body ...

Body & Neck Join ...

And that's all for now. The pickups arrived on Wednesday and Jon was going to be doing more routing then and prepare for finishing. I'll post more pics when I get them.

Until next time .....

This looks absolutely amazing, I really cant wait to see this one progress. Gotta say build threads are amazing perticularly Shuker builds. I really need to get rid of my stingray and have something built....jealousy isnt pretty.

Congrats, post as many pics as humanly possible.

Wow! Love it!

The neck joint looks cool. Indeed, 'Doodle' isn't a complete neckthru (or a bolt on) either. The neck finishes just before where the bridge pieces are anchored. Like all the other builds, I look forward to seeing this one's finish!

Yep Peted, the necks going to be glued in place. More neck-thru than bolt on.
Jon's also going to install the low battery circuit that John East has designed, probably on the back near the battery compartment.
See the post in the J-East section of the forum.

• 2 weeks later...

'Red sparkly bass' looks like it's going to be cool !! The extended tongue of the joint from neck to body is a good idea for better coupling. I've seen it done with other materials within a bolt on, or with a really deep neck pocket, but not in a set neck/glued joint.

Keep those progress reports comin' !!

Edited by 7string

• 2 weeks later...

Hehehe, she's all red & sparkly now ....
Jon's said that the colour is slightly darker than is shown on the pics, probably more a dark(ish) Candy Apple Red
He's also advised we wait a week or so for the laquer to harden then it's on with the wet look glossy finish and I guess then the hardware.
This pic was sent last Monday night so hoping things will be finished in the next fortnight ;-)

Edited by largo

Yeah, I was actually thinking the red blocks would have stood out better with a maple board myself when designing it.
However, a Candy Red Jazz bass with matching headstock MUST have a rosewood board. Have you not read the Jazz owners manual ?
S

P.S. Can anybody show me a picture of a CAR Jazz bass with matching headstock AND maple board ?

Edited by largo

• 1 month later...

OK, here's my first moan about Jon. Sorry !

My bass has now been ready for the last week, maybe a bit more.
For whatever reason Jon hasn't sent it. I've paid him in full and there's always a reason why it's not been delivered.
Was supposed to be last Monday, but because he takes Monday holidays it was Tuesday. No bass, so phoned on Thursday and Jon says the Courier is booked for Friday. Phone Friday and the road is closed so no pickup. Phone on Monday, shop closed so phone yesterday and courier booked to pickup today.

Bottom line is, I've waited more than 7 months on a 12-13 week build and it's taking more than a week just for a courier pickup. Am I just too nice on the phone, I always tell Jon it's no hassle and just to send the bass when he's ready. I know he's busy blah! blah! Looks like my build always gets moved to the bottom of the pile.

Sorry for the rant.

[quote name='largo' post='84819' date='Nov 7 2007, 10:57 AM']OK, here's my first moan about Jon. Sorry !

My bass has now been ready for the last week, maybe a bit more.
For whatever reason Jon hasn't sent it. I've paid him in full and there's always a reason why it's not been delivered.
Was supposed to be last Monday, but because he takes Monday holidays it was Tuesday. No bass, so phoned on Thursday and Jon says the Courier is booked for Friday. Phone Friday and the road is closed so no pickup. Phone on Monday, shop closed so phone yesterday and courier booked to pickup today.

Bottom line is, I've waited more than 7 months on a 12-13 week build and it's taking more than a week just for a courier pickup. Am I just too nice on the phone, I always tell Jon it's no hassle and just to send the bass when he's ready. I know he's busy blah! blah! Looks like my build always gets moved to the bottom of the pile.

Sorry for the rant.[/quote]

Hey bud,
don't panic, I had the same thing with mine, took about a week from being finished before it finally got couriered.
Turns out, Jon likes to let the bass sit for as long as possible to make sure it all settles in fine, he just didn't tell me that, so I was champing at the bit, much like you probably are too.

Trust me, once the bass arrives any frustrations you've been suffering will be long gone!

Can't wait to see the finished article!

Cheers,
Eude

Yeah that's fair enough. But ...
I should have added that Jon let it sit fully finished for a week before he said he would courier it. That I understood and was happy with :0)
So I gave him a week with it settling before he said he'd courier it on the Tuesday, i.e. a week and a day ago. That I'm no so happy with :0(

Sorry matey I meant it is more than fair that you are a bit annoyed by this. I certainly would be! I am looking forward to seeing the bass, it looks stunning so far, and rosewood was the best choice definitely!

Cheers
ped