Why become a member? ×

Red, Sparkly Bass *Shuker Build*

largo

Well I did say I wouldn't post pictures until I'd got my hands on the bass itself, but now that I have it ....

These are pics sent by Jon just before he posted the bass. He had some A0 size posters made up for Bass Day and he has kindly said that he'll ship them to me once Bass Day is over (I think it was yesterday) Dunno what I'm going to do with posters, I'm well out of my teens ;0)

She plays lovely and I'll post a review pretty soon, gigging with her again on Wednesday.
I'll probably review the bass against my Sei Jazz and let you all know what I think of the two different build styles (and there's a few) !!!!

Edited by largo

[quote name='largo' post='87190' date='Nov 12 2007, 10:03 AM']She plays lovely and I'll post a review pretty soon, gigging with her again on Wednesday.
I'll probably review the bass against my Sei Jazz and let you all know what I think of the two different build styles (and there's a few) !!!![/quote]

Wow that [b]is[/b] sparkly :)
Congrats!
Are those red strings?

Yes the comparison review would be very interesting.

Yep! red strings, the DR Red Devils. I already play them on my Sei and their the best coated strings IMHO. Last a while and great tone.

I was a bit disappointed myself with the block inlays and would probably have gone with the usual pearl if I'd realised they wouldn't show up.
I'll maybe ask Jon how easy they'd be to swap for pearl at some point ?

Jon & I both agreed that it would have looked tacky rather than sophisticated & sparkly ! Has anyone ever seen a red 70's Jazz bass with a maple neck ?

S

[quote name='thedontcarebear' post='87253' date='Nov 12 2007, 12:29 PM']It's a shame you cannot see the block inlays, a maple fretboard on it would have been awesome.[/quote]

+1

The sparkly bit doesnt do it for me, if it matched the inlays better, it would have been ace. absolutely loved the inlays, but would stand out better on maple.

Yeah Darkstars would have been a nice option. Didn't think of those...

The inlays were more a tortoiseshell effect AussiePhoenix and not sure how that would look on a whole bass instead of sparkle.
Like a big purple toilet seat and probably too plasticky looking. Hehehehe !

Bottom line is, the blocks didn't come out so clear as I'd hoped but I wouldn't have gone for a maple neck just so the blocks looked better. It would have changed the whole look, not to say tone of the bass having a maple neck. And in this case I wanted rosewood. That's not to say my next Shuker build won't be more exotic woods and a nice birdseye fingerboard.

Something like a Zon TJ look to it, mmmm ....

Hehehe, it's not actually that green when you see it in the flesh. It maybe false lighting or something ....
It's a mint green plate to try and give it an old skool look, which works remarkably well.
Looks a wee bit like Stu Hamms "Mel" bass I think.

The good news is the red sparkle is almost a perfect match to our drummers red sparkle kit which was what I was after, and Jon hadn't even seen the kit. Not even in a picture he was going on my description alone.

What a guy !

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Quick question

Does the set neck affect the tone significantly? I've been wondering about having one of these built, and I just love the Fodera-style set neck and lack of heel - but just wonder if the lack of bolt-on construction here significantly affects the tone.

I'd love to hear your thoughts.

Pete

Hi Pete

I promise I'll post a review of the Shuker vs Sei soon, possibly between Christmas and New Year when I find a bit of time.
As for the set neck, it's difficult to do a comparison completely as the preamp in the Shuker is Jon's own whereas my Sei has the J-Retro in it but the two basses do sound significantly different especially in the treble/bite department. The Shuker has a real snap to it in the treble response, whereas the Sei is a more rounded tone at the top end.

This is the first set-neck bass I've owned but I've had others with thru-neck and the Sei is a bolt-on. It doesn't have much of of a heal either though.

I've always found the bolt-on's to have a snappier feel to their sound which I prefer, but I also prefer the feel of the neck-thru.
The Shuker is the first time that I've had a bass that doesn't have any heal but also has that snappy feel to it. Strange but there's more snap to the Shuker than the Sei and that's something I didn't expect. Most of the bass is the same, i.e. body woods, neck, fingerboard, pickups it's just the preamp and the neck join that's different. So, I'm guessing a bit of both in there.

I've started rambling now, so hope you can take from that what you will.

Stephen

• 1 year later...

[quote name='bass_ferret' post='108987' date='Dec 24 2007, 06:07 PM']I asked another builder what the difference was between bolt on and through neck and he said "the size of the bill!". Obviously if you dont want a heel then you have to go through neck or set neck but if you rarely venture to the dusty end it probably makes no difference.[/quote]

W&T do some nice carved heels on their bolt ons ....