Why become a member? ×

Sharing Useful Bass Tips

Cat Burrito

One old tip I've used for years is using the rubber rings from Grolsch bottles as cheap but effective strap locks. I think that one is pretty widely known now.

Recently I've come across removing the black plastic pickup covers and thumb rest on vintage Fender reissues & giving the plastic a good scrub with a green kitchen brillo pad. It removes the horrible shiny plastic finish and gives your bass a much better retro finish without devaluing your instrument.

What tips can you share?

[quote name='BurritoBass' post='510802' date='Jun 11 2009, 12:31 AM']One old tip I've used for years is using the rubber rings from Grolsch bottles as cheap but effective strap locks. I think that one is pretty widely known now.

Recently I've come across removing the black plastic pickup covers and thumb rest on vintage Fender reissues & giving the plastic a good scrub with a green kitchen brillo pad. It removes the horrible shiny plastic finish and gives your bass a much better retro finish without devaluing your instrument.

What tips can you share?[/quote]

I've gone back to Grolsch straplocks after using Dunlops for years ..

My main tip comes from my drummer: Never nudge your Grannie when she's shaving.

My favorite Bass Guitar Magazine tip from the old "weekend warrior" feature was from a basschatter featured there (can't remember who it was!) :
Always change the cable TV channel back to CBBC after watching some relaxing recreational feature film late at night after getting in from gigs so that it's ready for the kids when they and your wife get up in the morning, hours before you.

Very valuable tip that.

Write down the address of the place you're supposed to be staying and put it in your pocket / wallet. When you wake up the next day in a house you don't recognise, with people you don't know, at least you'll be able to tell a taxi driver where to take you.

I learnt this lesson the hard way. Twice.

Edited by thisnameistaken

[quote name='YouMa' post='510824' date='Jun 11 2009, 01:14 AM']The best shimming card is the yellow meter reading card things.[/quote]

I was trying to work out what "shimming" might be in contemporary parlance before remembering this was a bass players' forum :)
I like to use IBM punch cards for shimming..

[quote name='BurritoBass' post='510802' date='Jun 10 2009, 11:31 PM']One old tip I've used for years is using the rubber rings from Grolsch bottles as cheap but effective strap locks. I think that one is pretty widely known now.[/quote]

Well I never heard that tip before, looks like im off out to buy some Grolsch

[quote name='soopercrip' post='510896' date='Jun 11 2009, 09:33 AM']Dust off your Bass when wearing white jeans, before a gig. Don't want to look a tw@t in front of the girlies with mucky jeans.
or...[/quote]

lol, im currently sat in the dirtest white jeans in existance. What I suggest is go to Corporation night club in Sheffield.. go in the mosh pit with them and ruin your new jeans instantly... then not care how dirty they get, stage or otherwise, no amount of bleach gets corp off your clothes.

+1 for the grolsh tops, I have them on all my basses/guitar

As for my top tip, dont leave basses in direct sunlight. discolours them SO MUCH.

The next song is the one with that nasty super fasty run in it thats always a tricky beeyetch when you're practicing.

You're knackered cos its late in the gig and you need every last bit of help to play it. Run your plucking fingers down the side of your nose.

The 'grease of the day' will lubricate your plucking hand fingertips for a couple of songs, making playing the song a snap.

You can even mop the sweat off your brow & nose with a towel first, it wont shift the lube...

[quote name='51m0n' post='511265' date='Jun 11 2009, 02:55 PM']The next song is the one with that nasty super fasty run in it thats always a tricky beeyetch when you're practicing.

You're knackered cos its late in the gig and you need every last bit of help to play it. Run your plucking fingers down the side of your nose.

The 'grease of the day' will lubricate your plucking hand fingertips for a couple of songs, making playing the song a snap.

You can even mop the sweat off your brow & nose with a towel first, it wont shift the lube...[/quote]

It's natural fast fret!!!!!

Wipe your hands on everyone else's face too! :)

[quote name='Jean-Luc Pickguard' post='510894' date='Jun 11 2009, 09:29 AM']If you don't like grolsch or want straplocks that aren't big & red, shower hose washers do the job just as well and you can get enough for 10 basses for a quid.[/quote]

but you get cool poptop beer...

* Lousy monitoring? Can't hear the bass drum too well? Put your foot on one of the bass drum spurs and [i]feel[/i] the pulse, you old groove-meister.

* Are your hawsers slipping? Always tug-stretch your new strings in after replacement - [i]and[/i] each time you tune up. Get the slack out, Mr Rock-Solid In-Tune!

* Vocalist Trouble? A sock filled with wet sand makes a serviceable cosh. Watch your local "Hard Man" turn green with envy!

* Grumbling Guitarist? Band going nowhere? Clamp down on internal dissent and invade a neighbouring country. Works for China!

Edited by skankdelvar

Using a little talc on the thumb of your fretting hand will stop your thumb from sticking to a gloss finish on the back of a bass’s neck. Bad as it can be, I find turning up to gigs with my container of baby powder :blush: much less scary than attacking the gloss finish on my bass with wire wool or sandpaper to make it dull, which seems to be the more widely adopted solution. :)

[quote name='Krysbass' post='512073' date='Jun 12 2009, 01:10 PM']Using a little talc on the thumb of your fretting hand will stop your thumb from sticking to a gloss finish on the back of a bass’s neck. Bad as it can be, I find turning up to gigs with my container of baby powder :blush: much less scary than attacking the gloss finish on my bass with wire wool or sandpaper to make it dull, which seems to be the more widely adopted solution. :rolleyes:[/quote]

Sweet tip. I've already polished my Roscoe's neck to a fantastically mirror bright sheen with my amazing polishing thumb (utter PIA) - its stickier than super glue now.

Do I want to be attacking this instrument with wire wool - err no I'd rather attack my genitals with said wool than my bass to be honest....:)