Why become a member? ×

who plays guitar and was there a transition to bass?

john_the_bass

Just wondering how many of you play guitar (or another instrument, but mainly a guitar), either as a hobby, as a second instrument in a band or something like that and made the transition either from guitar to bass or picked up the guitar as an aside to learning the bass.

Personally - I was always a guitar player, asked to play bass in a band so I did and haven't stopped. I still play the guitar in another band. My dad took the bass duty in another band as well after how many dozens of years playing the guitar, did the two band thing for a while and now sticks to playing bass semi professionally but still maintains an interest in the guitar.

Just interested really

[quote name='john_the_bass' post='53152' date='Aug 31 2007, 09:34 AM']Just wondering how many of you play guitar (or another instrument, but mainly a guitar), either as a hobby, as a second instrument in a band or something like that and made the transition either from guitar to bass or picked up the guitar as an aside to learning the bass.

Personally - I was always a guitar player, asked to play bass in a band so I did and haven't stopped. I
Just interested really[/quote]

Followed the same route as yourself. Actually auditioned for a band as rhythm guitarist on the night their bassist quit, they wondered if I'd stand in on bass and the rest is history.
I still use the guitar for songwriting and recording but simply as a tool. I take no pleasure in sitting down and noodling about on it. Whereas I can spend many a happy evening going over and over one tricky bass part until it's right.
I think some people just suit certain instruments others can play many with equal skill.

Hi ya!

Well I did start on acoustic guitar at primary school. I naturally saw the electric guitar as what I wanted to 'do', but, I soon realised that all I ever used to sing/hum were the bass lines. Even now, there are very few songs I could sing from start to finish. I naturally seemed to gravitate towards the bass and rhythm section. Oh.. and I always thought guitar looked a bit small on me ha ha ha!!

I did end up playing lead guitar in a fairly successful band for about 5 years.. but the calling of the low end called me back and I am now here to stay!!!

I played guitar since I was 8, and I still love to play. I mainly write music/songs on guitar too. I play the bass 'cos it's what I wanted to do in a band situation. I feel I have much more control over the band's whole sound, and i'm very much into rythm, and percussion, which you can do quite nicely on an acoustic guitar, but gets lots in the mix of a band on electric. With the bass, you're always playing rythms and grooves, and I personally have a very percussive style.

So, yeh, basically i'm another guitarist who's mate wanted them to play bass in a band and now i'm hooked!

I started on guitar, but even then I wanted to play the bass. In my first band, for a long time we had no bass guitar, and when we finally did, bass duties were shared between all three instrumentalists. However as this band 'progressed' we all started focusing on individual instruments, and I ended up as the bassist (probably because by then I actually owned one and therefore had the most time to practice).

These days I play bass, guitar and some keyboards (mainly for programming), but I enjoy playing bass in a band context more than the other instruments, and I consider the Bass to be what I'm most proficient on.

I do relate to the situation of changing instruments because of the band you join. In the early 80s I auditioned for a band as a bass player, and ended up playing synth for them for the next 6 years, during which time, I hardly played any guitar or bass at all!

I started on drums (and I still have a hankering but not enough space for a kit) and decided to teach myself guitar this year as I wanted to be able to lay down my own funky rhythmn parts. Hopefully I might be upgrading from an £120 guitar to a Parker P38/P40 soon...

I've always been a bassist since my 14th birthday. I have previously taught myself keyboard for a few years.

However in February I got my 8 string guitar-so technically it is 5/8s guitar and 3/8s bass, but that's as near to guitar as I get! My hope was to make it one of my main instruments, but being a bass major at uni means I don't have too much time to dedicate to it. So it is just a hobby instrument still.

Started off on guitar. Played that for 25 years before being asked to help out on bass, which I did and then became much more interested in bass. Although strangely enough I had "taught" two band members in previous bands how to play bass (showed them the basics and wrote tab bass lines for them to get them started) and I've had a bass in the house for years and years - I guess the writing was on the wall although I never realised it.

I'm not in a band at the moment and am now torn between the two !

I started on guitar as a kid, classicak for a year, then 8 years of ''normal'' acoustic guitar, mid teens i bought some loud and smashed up electrics.
Gave it up around 20 for a while. picked it up again 2 years ago.
Always loved double bass. A real fascination for me. Then decided to take the plunge and learn bass. Now on electric bass with a self promise that when i feel ''good enough'' on the electric i will treat myself to a double bass. :)

was a classical guitarist first, and got the first electric 3-4 years later. Moved on to bass another 3-4 years later. Classical guitar technique lends itself better to bass than electric guitar - especially if you are a finger playing, which is what I am :)

Played both more or less since I started (many years ago), seem to collect more guitars and guitar gear than bass for some reason. I'm gigging pretty regularly in 2 bands playing guitar and 1 playing bass.

I suit guitar more when the songs are more rocky and bass when it's more poppy - if I'm playing bass in a rock band I often gets frustrated/critical of the guitarist, whereas when it's something less rock - R n B / Soul etc I prefer playing bass.

Bassist from the get go me. Had a recent hankering to learn guitar if only to be able to know what to play in a Jam when I can't hear meself properly. Hate it when I ask the key to a guitarist for him/her to turn around and show me the chord - what! They look perplexed when I tell em that playing that chord on the bass would probably sound crap.

Edited by martthebass

Been playing guitar since I was 9 - studied classical and flamenco etc, learned mandolin - always had electric and acoustic guitars. Then auditioned for bass with a band - even though I'd not touched a bass guitar. Now in said band and love playing bass!! In fact I reckon it has improved my guitar playing no end.

Started dabbling with bass a couple of years ago, still not very good, I've been perhaps only practicing for half hour a day on alternate days recently just havn't been been feeling it at all.

Bought a guitar a few months ago, then bought another one, first is currently undergoing a strip and will be refinished, and I'm just learning basic chords and stuff on the other one.

Got a new stepbrother who played a bit of guitar, so I got thinking "what can I play?" I found guitar too fiddly, so that led me to bass, and there was a cheap one for sale locally.

Voice is my second "instrument", but I also do some elementary synth stuff, mostly because I'm the kind of computer geek who actually gets MIDI. Fear the skills! :ph34r:

Edited by bnt

I used to play the Oboe in an orchestra :huh: then went to playing drums, moved onto guitar (I always wanted to do that originally because I thought Graham Coxon was cool), then went onto bass when I started filling in for another band and found it a lot more fun.

I still have some wicked guitar gear at my house thanks to my previous bands guitarist. I have in my possession a PRS CU22 Artist jobby, a Blackmachine B2, my lil bro plays guitar and has his kicking about, there is a Takamine acoustic and a beasty Framus Dragon half stack. I do enjoy having a bit of a thrash on a guitar and I am quite a gear freak as well. Also I filled in with 24 hours notice for my friends band last weekend :)