Why become a member? ×

Flatwound City Limits

lee4

I finally took the plunge and strung my Yamaha BB414 with a set of flats.Having got used to the heavy guage of them,I can say that I'm smitten.Thay have transformed a clanky beast into a warm old-school thud monster!
If yiu hav'nt tried them,go get a set soon!

Welcome to the BB414-strung-with-flats fan club :)

I've had TIs on mine for more than a year and will replace them with the same (if they wear out before I do).

Yes, much more than 'thud'. I play Come Together with the neck pickup and I get a lovely tone (puts own trumpet back in box).

Edit for thud

Edited by imaccer

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='505388' date='Jun 4 2009, 12:11 PM']Flat are mint.

It's a shame the word 'thud' is always used, though... [u]they do so much more than that[/u]! :)[/quote]

Agreed... they also do 'clunk' but definitely not 'clank'! :rolleyes:

Only joshing, I've got new found respect for flats. I'm not fitting them to my gigging bass but I have new found respect for them! :lol:

I've just been experimenting too. I've always had Status half-rounds on my fretless, which are actually ground down roundwounds, but look and feel just like flats - they sound great on fretless and not a bad price either.

Then I tried out a set of D'Addario Chromes recently on my Squier VM P-Bass. I'm not a huge fan, but apparently they sound a million times better after they've mellowed out from a few weeks of playing. I'm probably gonna put rounds back on it and use it for pickstyle punk sounds because I'm really digging the sound of my newly acquired Warmoth SG with Dark Star pickups after I strung it with Pyramid Gold flats. These flats are expensive (£40 delivered on eBay) but I reckon they're worth it. A decent set of flats lasts years anyway! There are many Talkbass posts singing their praises, they sound good straight away and don't need to be broken in like the Chromes.

Love TIs, the LaBellas were too deep for me. I found the TIs had a nice click to them as well as plenty of bottom end, and they're soft and flexible too, which I like. They were just fab on my Lakland JO4.

I'm thinking of putting them on my P bass at some point once the Slinkys have gone off.

i put some flatties on my new fretless and now my roundwound basses sound too bright !!

i've ordered some pyramid fretless strings for the fretless, and i think i'll tansfer the rotosound flatties onto my p-bass....

see how they sound.

It's nice to see all you young players finally getting to grips with the beauty of Flats! What happened to tapewound? can you still get them?

The only problem is that now when I go to buy flats instead of the person in the shop saying sorry we have not got any in stock, no one uses them, he now says sorry we don't have any in stock because we have sold out! :)

This is so weird. I remember the colossal thrill when I first re-strung [i]from[/i] flats [i]to[/i] wounds. The tinkling highs, the piano like-lows, the stalking phone-calls from Farrah Fawcett Majors (it was the late 70's).

The wheel turns, the stars look down.

Edited by skankdelvar

[quote name='Rayman' post='505456' date='Jun 4 2009, 01:33 PM']Love TIs, the LaBellas were too deep for me. I found the TIs had a nice click to them as well as plenty of bottom end, and they're soft and flexible too, which I like. They were just fab on my Lakland JO4.

I'm thinking of putting them on my P bass at some point once the Slinkys have gone off.[/quote]

Love TI's also........Today I put TI flats on my P5 and I can understand why everyone ( well almost ) love these strings. They may be expensive but they play like a dream.

Im loving It.

[quote name='dannybuoy' post='505424' date='Jun 4 2009, 12:54 PM']Lee4 - your avatar is like an optical illusion. I thought it looked like an old bald man with a big nose, pointy chin and wobbly neck until I realised there was a hat![/quote]
What hat? :)

[quote name='sixshooter' post='505467' date='Jun 4 2009, 01:49 PM']It's nice to see all you young players finally getting to grips with the beauty of Flats! What happened to tapewound? can you still get them?

The only problem is that now when I go to buy flats instead of the person in the shop saying sorry we have not got any in stock, no one uses them, he now says sorry we don't have any in stock because we have sold out! :)[/quote]
Young?I'm 40 years old.When I was a lad,all this was a ring road!
Pity flats are so expensive.My set was given to me by a bass-playng customer.He prefered rounds on his Squier Jazz.

+1 for the love of flats!

To me their an 'economical' sound. They really emphasise the bit that you can still hear when the rest of the band is playing, and don't have much of the rest. I tried a few sets out. The Thomastiks were too low tension for me. I've still got the same flats that were on my 62 P-Bass when I bought it about 5 years ago. I'm pretty sure they're Elites, and I put LaBellas on my reissue.

Andrew

Edited by 62P-Bass

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='505849' date='Jun 4 2009, 09:33 PM']I'm just about to change out a set of La Bellas after seven years.[/quote]

Do you want to sell me your old La Bellas cheap?
I want to try some for size before I buy a new set.
I'd also like to try some TIs if anyone's getting rid of an old set.

[quote name='redstriper' post='505952' date='Jun 4 2009, 11:22 PM']Do you want to sell me your old La Bellas cheap?
I want to try some for size before I buy a new set.
I'd also like to try some TIs if anyone's getting rid of an old set.[/quote]
If you can hang on, I have a set of flats for you to try. More info tomorrow.

[quote]This is so weird. I remember the colossal thrill when I first re-strung from flats to wounds. The tinkling highs, the piano like-lows, the stalking phone-calls from Farrah Fawcett Majors (it was the late 70's).

The wheel turns, the stars look down.[/quote]

With you there Skank....'Yuk, those flats are so thumpy !!'

Maybe in 20 years time there will be a BC thread entitled 'Just found these gorgeous bright roundwound thingies' :)