Why become a member? ×

Fretless basses!

rsh_bassist

Someone say fretless?

Here are my current favourites...

Yet another opportunity to post a pic of my Gus G3 fretless which now has it's [url="http://www.gusguitars.com/product.php?model_id=15"]own page on the Gus site[/url]

Pedulla Buzz about to be upgraded with an ACG filter pre-amp

Lightwave Sabre A (I've also got a fretted neck for this although I can't see myself ever fitting it)

And finally Squier VMJ Fretless modded with a J-Retro and Badass II. This is now somewhat surplus to requirements and may soon be up for sale.

From never having played a fretless 2 years ago I've gone to this; and these days one of these basses gets used on most of the songs I play.

[quote name='Machines' post='52975' date='Aug 30 2007, 07:57 PM']Oooh very nice Gwilym, what's the top ?[/quote]
hi Machines - cheers mate! in all honesty, I'm not sure what the woods are - I'm not sure if that info was included when I bought it. All i do know is that it sounds monsterous :)

[quote name='Lulu' post='53009' date='Aug 30 2007, 09:53 PM']Squier VMJB with Audere J3Z
[/quote]
How much difference was there when you dropped in the Audere?

ALso there is something about these basses. I really like them, but they look like they need a good kicking to get 'that look'!

[quote name='BigRedX' post='52974' date='Aug 30 2007, 07:56 PM']Someone say fretless?

Here are my current favourites...

Yet another opportunity to post a pic of my Gus G3 fretless which now has it's [url="http://www.gusguitars.com/product.php?model_id=15"]own page on the Gus site[/url]

Pedulla Buzz about to be upgraded with an ACG filter pre-amp

Lightwave Sabre A (I've also got a fretted neck for this although I can't see myself ever fitting it)

And finally Squier VMJ Fretless modded with a J-Retro and Badass II. This is now somewhat surplus to requirements and may soon be up for sale.

From never having played a fretless 2 years ago I've gone to this; and these days one of these basses gets used on most of the songs I play.[/quote]
Interesting and esoteric selection there bud - that Lightwave looks like fun.

Currently on the go...

Aria SB-1000 Frankenfretless...

Before:

During:

There's a bit more gone on since the last shot - the dreadful infill piece has gone & been replaced by a laminated block that runs 'twixt both pups covering the scary Jazz routs. Full photothread to follow at some point.

Pete.

[quote name='Mikey D' post='53022' date='Aug 30 2007, 11:15 PM']How much difference was there when you dropped in the Audere?

ALso there is something about these basses. I really like them, but they look like they need a good kicking to get 'that look'![/quote]
With the Audere: More punchy sound, kinda agressive one (the preamp output signal is adjustable with a small screw inside). Being able to adjust lows, mids and highs separately is also very important to me; the mix is way better now.
So I'd say: more punch and a more ''accurate" sound (is it the proper word ?).

I'm afraid my English is too poor to describe the differences the way I feel so why not listening to a soundclip I recorded after I had put the Audere: [url="http://lulubassman.free.fr/audio_site4/greyscale_project_mp3.mp3"]here[/url] (with much reverb :) ) and one I recorded before: [url="http://lulubassman.free.fr/audio_site4/nostalgiamp3.mp3"]here[/url] (something more ''roots'') and make your own opinion ? Hope it helps.

[quote name='bass_ferret' post='53025' date='Aug 30 2007, 10:17 PM']Interesting and esoteric selection there bud - that Lightwave looks like fun.[/quote]

Ta. I like weird instruments. The Lightwave is something I've been after for quite some time. I think this one is quite an early model as there are some design issues. The neck is quite the most flexible of any of my basses, and needs adjusting every time I try different strings. However at the moment I've settled on TI Jazz Flats which give it a massively bassy but defined sound while still being kind the the (uncoated maple?) fingerboard. Also while there's plenty of string height adjustment on the saddles (even if you do have to remove the string to do it) the optical sensors don't have the same amount of travel, so in order to get this set up how I like it I've had to shim the neck. In fact it's taken me about 2 months to get this bass to its (for me) optimal playing condition, but now it's there it's certainly worth it. The optical pickups really do show up every nuance of your right hand technique which can be both a blessing and incredibly frustrating. In the long run it's making my plucking style far more controlled and even. Definitely a bass that rewards thought and effort in your playing.

[quote name='ARGH' post='53028' date='Aug 30 2007, 10:26 PM']I have 3,I really like them.

2 are converted from fretted.[/quote]

There's some fine looking basses. The third appears to be an Ibanez, but what are the first two? I particularly like the way the top wood is carved away to reveal the main body wood on the lower horn on the first.

In fact there are several other basses already in this thread that I think are quite outstanding. I've made covetous comments about Ped's Vigier before, and hopefully someday I'll find one of my own. Also I'd love a Wal, although the way the prices are going now, I'd need to think twice and definitely play a few times before I could decide whether or not to part with my cash...