Why become a member? ×

Which PUP set for passive Jazz???

bubinga5

If you were to choose any active pick up set to go into a passive Jazz bass (without a pre amp) to replace a Single Coil set, what would you go for and why...Something hum cancelling...
Interested to know what you all think about differences in tones between brands?

EMG

Nordstrand

Bartolini

Wizard

Villex

any other suggestions?

[quote name='geoffbyrne' post='494773' date='May 21 2009, 11:22 PM']Joe Barden
DiMarzio Model J
DiMarzio Ultrajazz

G.[/quote]

These are passive pups. Great ones though.

It depends on what tone you want. Personally I'd steer for the EMG's maybe...they are a little overused...but then they must be great!
At the same time I avoid Bartolini...Just IMO but they are too polite for me...But again what's the aplication?

For the overall pick of the lot I think Nordstrand are to go for!
I've been looking for an aplication to get me some but MAN! Nordy's sound sweet!

Edited by Kongo

[quote name='Beedster' post='494732' date='May 21 2009, 10:30 PM']Well I've a set of Fralin split coils that are pretty [b]awesome sounding[/b]. Passive but powerful. Bloody expensive though :)[/quote]
+1

I wired mine for passive or with OPB-3 9v/18v at the flick of a switch. Sweet. :rolleyes:

As far as I'm aware, EMG's are the only 'active pickups' on your list!?
By that I mean, they require a battery without a preamp, everything else listed here is a passive pickup!

My vote goes for the Dimarzio Ultrajazzes, high output...they roar for passives. Round, growly, loud. and they're humbucking!
Lovely!
I'd also give a +1 for staying away from Bartolinis if you're running them passively, severely underpowered without a preamp.

Si

Edited by Sibob

[quote name='bubinga5' post='494713' date='May 21 2009, 10:15 PM']If you were to choose any active pick up set to go into a passive Jazz bass[/quote]

[quote name='bubinga5' post='494847' date='May 22 2009, 07:34 AM']To be honest i couldnt bear to put Active pickups in a bass like this!!!![/quote]

:)

[quote name='bubinga5' post='494713' date='May 21 2009, 10:15 PM']If you were to choose any active pick up set to go into a passive Jazz bass (without a pre amp) to replace a Single Coil set, what would you go for and why...Something hum cancelling...
Interested to know what you all think about differences in tones between brands?

EMG

Nordstrand

Bartolini

Wizard

Villex

any other suggestions?[/quote]

Is this for your new 1970 reissue?

Depends on what you want the sound to be! For what it's worth I spent ages deciding what to put in my Geddy, and I eventually bought a set of DiMarzio Model J's over the Ultra J's. Why? I wanted something with a fantastic beefy tone as it's base tone, no eqing required. Something even enough to sound full, but something powerful enough to cut through a mix. The DiMarzio Model J's deliver that in spades. Oodles of usable tones from those bad boys. Ridiculously good price for what they offer.

Mark

[quote name='mcgraham' post='494928' date='May 22 2009, 10:07 AM']Depends on what you want the sound to be! For what it's worth I spent ages deciding what to put in my Geddy, and I eventually bought a set of DiMarzio Model J's over the Ultra J's. Why? I wanted something with a fantastic beefy tone as it's base tone, no eqing required. Something even enough to sound full, but something powerful enough to cut through a mix. The DiMarzio Model J's deliver that in spades. Oodles of usable tones from those bad boys. Ridiculously good price for what they offer.

Mark[/quote]

Were you finding that you had to EQ the model J's less than the Ultrajazzes then?
I know we're probably using different amps and basses, but I find that I need very little EQ on the Ultra's, plug in, sound phat!

Si

I,ve just put these Wizards Hammers on my Windmill Jazz....the sound is very punchy with excellent definition and clarity.

[url="http://www.wizardpickups.co.uk/shop.asp?category=Bass"]http://www.wizardpickups.co.uk/shop.asp?category=Bass[/url]

[attachment=25709:windmill.jpg]

+1 for Di Marzio model J with the proviso that Schaller JBX have identical specs. and may be found cheaper - I've used both loads of times and can't hear any difference - the only bias towards Di Marzio is that 'USA' thing.

The Ulta Jazz is OK but I think loses a little top end by being so strong - bit like quarter-pounders-v-hot.

[quote]Were you finding that you had to EQ the model J's less than the Ultrajazzes then?
I know we're probably using different amps and basses, but I find that I need very little EQ on the Ultra's, plug in, sound phat![/quote]

I'd tried a number of Sadowsky Metro's, Sad pickups being based on the Ultra Jazz design. It had a nice sound, but had more top end than most clanky amps would sound good with (I used house rigs at the time; didn't have my own), bit of a mid scoop (though smooth and nice sounding), and the lows weren't quite beefy enough. However the Model J's have serious punch up and down the spectrum. Slightly muted/tame top end compared to the UJs, but they certainly didn't lack snap, and I typically rolled about a quarter of the passive tone off. Basically, the Model Js can be used without eq IME.

Mark

I maybe the only one that finds this funny :) ...but

Bubinga 20th may
[b]"The best Jazz ive ever played, wonderfull tone...Just feels great to hold and play..Only 100 ever made!!! "
[/b]

Bubinga 21st may
[b]"To me its a bit more special...Ive been after a Jazz that just feels right and this does...its hard to explain.."[/b]

Bubinga 21st may
[b]"If you were to choose any active pick up set to go into a passive Jazz bass (without a pre amp) to replace a Single Coil set, what would you go for and why.."[/b]

Have a look on this post on pickups comparison from Talkbass...I think it will help you, if not confuse you even more :) with your choice:

[url="http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=91384"]http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=91384[/url]