Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Nice Jazz bass ...... options for £500 (new or used)?

After playing basses with a P pickup for years, I fancy a try out on a Jazz.    It's not only a nice narrow neck that I fancy, but also to see the difference in the sound.
What might be a good model to go for for this budget (ish)?
Are the Sire's really that good?   Better than a second hand Fender Mexican Jazz?
Are the Sandberg Electra's close to a trad jazz bass?  Or might a second hand MIJ 62 reissue be worth a punt?

I'm miles away from stockists and would either risk a second hand example or go new from the likes of Thomann. 

Any  guidance appreciated.    

I think I’d look at a used Mexican Jazz, the Player range is very good but the quality of Mex basses really upped from 2012 onwards imo. You should be able to source one for around budget. I’m a bit traditional, figuring if looking at a Jazz or Precision go Fender first then if you feel anything lacking try other brands that address those points if possible.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Pirellithecat said:

After playing basses with a P pickup for years, I fancy a try out on a Jazz.    It's not only a nice narrow neck that I fancy, but also to see the difference in the sound.
What might be a good model to go for for this budget (ish)?
Are the Sire's really that good?   Better than a second hand Fender Mexican Jazz?
Are the Sandberg Electra's close to a trad jazz bass?  Or might a second hand MIJ 62 reissue be worth a punt?

I'm miles away from stockists and would either risk a second hand example or go new from the likes of Thomann. 

Any  guidance appreciated.    

I did this last year and didn’t like the slightly scooped  sound so I sold mine and went back to a PBass 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Raslee said:

Sadowsky Metroexpress from the stock sale on Thomann…absolutely brilliant! 

This is the one. 

The basic Fender Mexican "player" basses aren't particularly inspiring but if you can get the more premium Mexican offerings ("classic" or vintera etc...) then they're not bad. 

• Like 1

The current MIM player Jazz Basses are pretty good.

The Alnico V pickups are pretty good for classic JB sounds.

The only drawback is the fret ends were a little sharp but smoothed out a bit after being played in.

I own one plus a USA AM Pro JB.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I'm not sure you'll get a MIJ 62 reissue within budget, if you see one at that price then snap it up. They're a fantastic bit of kit and my favourite Fenders. If you haven't played on before just be aware that they have a gloss neck, narrow frets and a more curved fingerboard radius. Some people don't like a gloss neck, but that and the frets are what I really love about that range.

Sire do make great J's and they're worth a look. If it were me though I'd be picking up a G&L Tribute JB. The neck is glossed and it's also a tad wider/rounder in the hand (back to front, the nut width is the same) than the current Fender MiM line up. They're nice basses for not a lot of money. There's one in the classifieds now (that has nowt to do with me)

Edited by Jonesy
  • Like 4

Thanks for the info.

I do like the idea of a Sadowsky - I've played a MIJ one and the neck is perfect for me ......... but, as the MetroExpress is made in China, and I'm trying to reduce my reliance on all things Chinese , it's not for me.
I find the Fender Players a bit heavy, borrowed one and it didn't really "inspire" me.   My Squier Standard P Bass Special  Standard has a nicer neck profile (not a mile away from the Sadowsky) so maybe i should get a second hand Squire Standard Jazz and mod it ???? 

Anyone have experience of the neck "feel"/profile of a MIJ Fender Jazz vs Sadowsky (or indeed Squire Standard) neck profile?

4 hours ago, bubinga5 said:

Jet JB300.. They are fantastic..

Are these made in China? ...... seems probable but i really can't find a country of manufacture (which might suggest they are .... )
If not they seem ideal.

3 hours ago, Bassfinger said:

Sire Marcus Miller V5.  Nice Woods, as well finished as a Player series, lovely sound, great necks with rolled fretboard edges.

I've just received one, and I love it. It's my first J bass, and it does everything I need it to do. It's really well made, sounds great and was well priced. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

I recently got a MarkBass Gloxy. You can get one used for that kinda' money. I recently got one, coming from a Sire V3. Plays softer (skinnier neck than Sires, which I prefer), I prefer the tone to the Sire Vs, it's more responsive, has a better preamp (even tho' mids aren't parametric). Sire killer IME, would choose the Gloxy over a V7 too.

Edited by andruca
  • Like 1

On 12/05/2024 at 12:21, Pirellithecat said:

Are these made in China? ...... seems probable but i really can't find a country of manufacture (which might suggest they are .... )
If not they seem ideal.

Designed by a guy in Lithuania and made in China.

Posted (edited)

Hey Ho .......... 
If I stick too my budget I guess that leaves me on the second hand Fender Player,  or if I'm really lucky a 90's MIJ, a Sire (of some description, new or used),  a Squire or a G&L?
If not for the weight the Sire would probably be the likely winner methinks ......  
Anyone able to comment on how one of the Bass Centre Jive Basses (or Betsy) stack up in this context??
Thanks for all the ideas. 

Edited by Pirellithecat

I had a Bass Centre Betsy and it's a great Jazz bass for sure.  You do see them Secondhand occasionally for less than your £500 so definitely worth a look.  EMG's too, if you like that.

I'm a precision player at heart but always liked having a Jazz bass around, but in the end PJ turned out to be enough for me.  Got 2015 Elite Precision (PJ) and never looked back.

• Like 1

To be honest, I'd track down a second-hand Fender.  Mexico/Japan. 

If I were you (not that I want to spend anyone's £££s for them), I'd stretch by budget and hit up Dave's Jazz, below.  I've no idea what the current price is...it's been yo-yoing up and down.

• Like 2