Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Eurovision

22 minutes ago, Cato said:

As a non viewer I'd say it's probably doing something right purely on the grounds that a concept and format that hasn't really changed for decades hasn't just quietly faded into utter obscurity.

And there is still a lot written about it, so it must be in some way relevant.

• Like 1

I've just returned from a session at the physiotherapist.  While I was waiting, a second receptionist started work and there was a conversational handover, which was pretty much this:

'Oh hi, Sally!  Good weekend?'

'Yeah, not bad, took the grandchildren to the park, then we had a Chinese and watched Eurovision.'

'Oh god, it was just awful wasn't it?'

'Yes, terrible.  Why we even bother entering is beyond me.  Everyone hates us.'

'I know! Jesus Christ on a bike.'

So a little snapshot from middle England.

• Haha 6

23 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

Yet they will absolutely watch it next year as well!

Yep, especially if the UK enter, 'Jesus Christ on a Bike' as their representative. Mind you, he will probably get Zero points from the public as well.

The Vatican would vote for him...But it's way past their bedtime.

:D

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, lowdown said:

Yep, especially if the UK enter, 'Jesus Christ on a Bike' as their representative. Mind you, he will probably get Zero points from the public as well.

I thought that was more Britains got talent sort of act (an assumption, I don't watch that!)

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, TimR said:

While the Eurovision/Ant and Dec/Come Dancing demographic are at home.

It seems a bit odd that musicians, who are calling for a bigger audience and bemoaning the lack of decent venues, are now complaining that there's no decent Saturday night TV. 🤣

Oh man, where to start with that?

You may have noticed that EV is quite a thing for the LGBTQ+ community who are hardly known for being shy about going out and having a good time in their own special way.  The whole point of EV is that it's supposed to be an inclusive event that is worth watching.  

You won't get more people in pubs by putting ever worse stuff on TV, and let's not forget that we actually pay a license fee not only for the Beeb to screen this nonsense but to fund it to the extent that Olly Alexander's excuse of an entry goes straight (if that isn't an oxymoron) to the final.

FWIW I normally go to the pub on a Saturday but I don't like eating early so generally I go early evening and I'm home by 8.30.  Unless there is a band on the pub is normally almost empty by 10pm. Bands are generally on Friday and I'm out doing other things on a Friday but when I get home I can normally hear the end of their set when I'm in my living room anyway.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Nicko said:

The whole point of EV is that it's supposed to be an inclusive event that is worth watching.  

As I say, if you aim it middle aged white straight white males, you're going to alienate the LBGQT+, teenagers, and middle aged women, and turn it into a bland-fest. 

Seems odd that of the 52 countries that enter the contest none of them appeal to the particular demographic most of the posters here seem to be in. 

I haven't listened to the winner. I haven't even listened to our entry. I saw a man in box, with no shorts on, on Wednesday and then went and did something interesting. I don't know how they could make it interesting to me. Seems the whole of TV at the moment is designed not to appeal to me. It's either gritty police dramas, 'reality' TV, or comedy panel shows featuring the same 10 comedians in rotation. 

Hey ho. 

6 hours ago, TimR said:

As I say, if you aim it middle aged white straight white males, you're going to alienate the LBGQT+, teenagers, and middle aged women, and turn it into a bland-fest. 

Seems odd that of the 52 countries that enter the contest none of them appeal to the particular demographic most of the posters here seem to be in. 

I haven't listened to the winner. I haven't even listened to our entry. I saw a man in box, with no shorts on, on Wednesday and then went and did something interesting. I don't know how they could make it interesting to me. Seems the whole of TV at the moment is designed not to appeal to me. It's either gritty police dramas, 'reality' TV, or comedy panel shows featuring the same 10 comedians in rotation. 

Hey ho. 

There's been some decent rock stuff that might appeal to the white, male, over-40s crowd in Eurovision over the past few years. I'm white, male, and 51 and I thought Baby Lasagna from Croatia were good this year, Voyager from Australia were fantastic last year (Alex Canion from Voyager is a hell of a bass player too), Sam Ryder did a great job the year before, and Maneskin brought the glam the year before that. 

It's usually in there, in amongst the assorted "quirky" Eurovision fare. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Russ said:

decent rock stuff

Aye, Czechia's entry this year should really have been in the final... Bit poppy for me, but did have hints of Placebo.

And while I didn't watch the final as I was gigging (to be fair I rarely do anyway as I don't really like the Eurovision song format) but the staging is absolutely amazing. I'd love to play on a stage like that rather than a grimy grass-roots venue with 4 coloured spotlights and duff PA!

• Like 4

Aye, that's not bad. I hadn't seen the semis this year, but a couple of the songs I saw in the final felt like they'd be heading towards symphonic metal if you just added the right guitar tracks.

My figurative money was on Croatia to win, but I also found Estonia entertaining in a 'is that Rob Chapman?' kind of way.

It looks like the off-track action is going to be more exciting than the competition itself. Oh sorry, that's Formula 1.

Complaints in from Bambie Thug about Israel's broadcaster, possibly the European Commission about the EBU banning the EU flag, and the Netherlands' Joost Klein possibly being prosecuted by Sweden, it's all great fun.

11 hours ago, Leonard Smalls said:

And while I didn't watch the final as I was gigging (to be fair I rarely do anyway as I don't really like the Eurovision song format) but the staging is absolutely amazing. I'd love to play on a stage like that rather than a grimy grass-roots venue with 4 coloured spotlights and duff PA!

Give me a grass roots venue every time 

2 hours ago, tauzero said:

It looks like the off-track action is going to be more exciting than the competition itself. Oh sorry, that's Formula 1.

Complaints in from Bambie Thug about Israel's broadcaster, possibly the European Commission about the EBU banning the EU flag, and the Netherlands' Joost Klein possibly being prosecuted by Sweden, it's all great fun.

Which is what Eurovision is about, generating non-news

12 hours ago, Leonard Smalls said:

Aye, Czechia's entry this year should really have been in the final... Bit poppy for me, but did have hints of Placebo.

Aye, reminded me of Paramore a LOT. I thought it deserved to finish higher up. 

• Like 1

On 12/05/2024 at 16:44, NancyJohnson said:

I didn't watch it at all this year ... preferring Nottingham Forest v Chelsea, Clarkson's Farm and a bit of Doctor Who.

FTFY, if there's one way to wind up Forest fans it's to call the club Notts Forest,

Forest, Nottm Forest or Nottingham Forest all fine.

on the subject of Eurovision, haven't watched it for years, it's middle of the road Saturday entertainment, like Strictly, Britain's got Talent etc, I don't watch those either

9 minutes ago, PaulWarning said:

FTFY, if there's one way to wind up Forest fans it's to call the club Notts Forest,

Forest, Nottm Forest or Nottingham Forest all fine.

on the subject of Eurovision, haven't watched it for years, it's middle of the road Saturday entertainment, like Strictly, Britain's got Talent etc, I don't watch those either

Keep on - don;t watching eurovision in future.