Why become a member? ×

Choosing my one and only pedal

One and only pedal  

3 members have voted

1. 1. One and only pedal

• Electro Harmonix Battalion
    • Valeton Dapper

Hello to everyone!! Rock (and a bit of metal) player, fender precision with a fender rumble gear! Thinking of buying a pedal (it haw to be the one and only) and I want your opinion!

Would you rather have a Valeton Dapper or a Electro Harmonix Battalion???

Thank you all

Edited by b.tarnaras

58 minutes ago, ProjeKtWEREWOLF said:

Why choose between these two? I wouldn't really choose either. 

If forced....the EHX just because I have several EHX pedals. Bear in mind that the DI is thin sounding. 

what would u suggest?

• Like 1

I wouldn't want either to be honest. If you want a really decent preamp with a great DI and a really nice gritty overdrive, a huge range of tones then get yourself a Two Note Le Bass or the new Two Notes Revolt.

You can pick up a used Le Bass for around £150

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, SteveXFR said:

I wouldn't want either to be honest. If you want a really decent preamp with a great DI and a really nice gritty overdrive, a huge range of tones then get yourself a Two Note Le Bass or the new Two Notes Revolt.

You can pick up a used Le Bass for around £150

Thank you!!

The Dapper is worth it for the octave alone (basically the same as their OC10).

Searching for gigbag sized solution I bought the Bass Fly Rig, then the Bass Fly Rig mk2, the Dug Pinnick sig, and the Dapper. In the end I kept the Dapper. I would say that the preamp section is a bit more flexible on the Tech 21 units, and their chorus is a little sweeter, but the octave and filter sections on the Dapper are brilliant, and the preamp gets dirty enough for my needs. I'm not sure it's a fair fight with the Batallion, as that's just supposed to be a preamp with a dirt option, so it's trying to do a different thing. I've not actually tried it though, as that's not what I need.

Edited by NickD
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, b.tarnaras said:

Hello to everyone!! Rock (and a bit of metal) player, fender precision with a fender rumble gear! Thinking of buying a pedal (it haw to be the one and only) and I want your opinion!

Would you rather have a Valeton Dapper or a Electro Harmonix Battalion???

Thank you all

I have a battalion as backup in case something should happen to my amp, what do you want a pedal for?

• Like 2

Why does it have to be your only pedal? 

Surely you'll be needing a tuner and then you may as well get a nice overdrive and while your building a board, you best add a fuzz and why not put on a phaser, delay and chorus. I'd probably put an EHX POG on there as wel

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I wish all these great pedals had tuners built in. Then a player could more easily just use a single pedal for Di, drive, EQ and tuning.

I guess there must be a good reason.

• Like 3

A tuner would make the pedal too big to fit on a board with other pedals. To have a tuner as well, you'd need an extra foot switch and that needs to be a reasonable distance from the other switches or you'll stomp on the wrong one by accident and suddenly the audience gets sad because there's no bass which means they can't dance and then they get angry and start fighting and throwing furniture.

So basically, no tuner for safety reasons. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, rOB said:

I wish all these great pedals had tuners built in. Then a player could more easily just use a single pedal for Di, drive, EQ and tuning.

The brands would rather sell you two pedals than one....

• Like 1

If you are after a decent preamp pedal with distortion something like a Tech 21 Bass Driver is a great choice. You really can't go wrong with one. Built to last and there's plenty about on the used market if that's your preferred option.

They are simple in terms of controls, but sophisticated at the same time in how the controls interact. If you are playing rock and metal music then I think a Bass Driver or similar Tech 21 bass preamp is perfect for your needs.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, rOB said:

You’ve obviously never tried an EBS Microbass 3 then?

• Like 1

You probably need a new amp as well. And have you thought about a new van to carry it in? 😀

Actual helpful answer:

15 hours ago, b.tarnaras said:

I'm sure it is but that has only distortion and nothing else

Do you want something where the tone controls still function when the distortion is not switched on?

Edited by MartinB