Why become a member? ×

Boss Katana 500 head

Bigwan

It gets bonus points over its guitar equivalent because it has a DI out, the lack of which is very annoying in the event we ever have to use a PA at a gig because of guitarist can never remember the way to get a signal out of it.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, la bam said:

I have a katana 210. It's superb. 

Seems weird to then launch a class d version and what looks like a watered down version of the features of the 210?

Probably a smart move though. Some won't want the features but do still want lightweight and "five hundred watts" (please, nobody touch that can of worms). 

Looks like they've now covered what they wanted to make and what a wider range of people will want to buy.

Interesting that the matching 1x12 cab takes 500w so it is a proper portable rig without needing a second cab to get the full Welly... From what I understood.

What appeals to me Is the built in FX and that it can be used as an interface. Pretty much does it all for me at home and live. 
I may wait until after the ‘best amp ever’

lot put their’s up for sale 😂

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, DaleASmith said:

that’s Peak not RMS. Seems a bit low 🤷‍♂️

I have long given up relying on any wattage = volume assumptions.

For a start it completely ignores speaker efficiency.

I'll almost certainly try one at some point - as long as the fan noise is very very low - and then get a mad drummer to play next to me.

• Like 3

I'm still a bit confused about this head. 

In principal it's an astounding head. Everything you could want (apart from a tuner - doh!), but I can't for the life of me understand a 180-250w class d head, and I can't understand less features than the combo. And more so why it's double the price? 

Couldn't you just buy a combo and take the head out of that? More features, class ab power and half the price? 

Edited by la bam
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, la bam said:

I'm still a bit confused about this head. 

In principal it's an astounding head. Everything you could want (apart from a tuner - doh!), but I can't for the life of me understand a 180-250w class d head, and I can't understand less features than the combo. And more so why it's double the price? 

Couldn't you just buy a combo and take the head out of that? More features, class ab power and half the price? 

My thinking is always that they did their market research and designed for that rather than to please everyone. Isn't it 500watt - 250watt though? 

It does seem a bit strange that it costs more than the combo though. 

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, dave_bass5 said:

My thinking is always that they did their market research and designed for that rather than to please everyone. Isn't it 500watt - 250watt though? 

It does seem a bit strange that it costs more than the combo though. 

According to some websites that have it for sale its 500w peak, so 250w RMS into 4ohm. 125w RMS into 8ohm.

Might be worth someone checking as it does seem a bit mad to release a way underpowered class d head?

15 minutes ago, la bam said:

According to some websites that have it for sale its 500w peak, so 250w RMS into 4ohm. 125w RMS into 8ohm.

Might be worth someone checking as it does seem a bit mad to release a way underpowered class d head?

You are correct, that is what it says on the Boss website. I guess it gets confusing when other figures not on the spec list are quoted.