Why become a member? ×

Northern Exposure

A blast from the past... who remembers the theme tune from the TV series Northern Exposure?

Recently bought the series on dvd and the theme tune brought back some memories. Written by David Schwartz it's genius!

Harmonica & accordion on a bed of percussion.... but that bass line!! That bass line has been resonating around my head since I first heard it and being a dedicated fretless player I was drawn to it instantly. It's so creative and what a melodic hook.

In the context of a theme tune it's just about perfect. What other suggestions are there for perfect theme tunes? Especially ones with cool bass lines.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Owen said:

I still have a soft spot for Hill Street Blues. 

What a great throw back.  That's very different from the single I have somewhere of it.  I seem to remember Larry Carlton played on it.  Do you know who the bass player was?

19 minutes ago, Owen said:

I still have a soft spot for Hill Street Blues. 

That was written by Mike Post. No idea who the bass player was. Could have been any session guy who was in the area at the time. 

Mike Post was imo a genius. . He just had a knack of penning a short piece of music for a tv program. It was usually a full song. but edited it... Who can not think of this when Mike Post wrote something.... The A Team, The Rockford Files, Law and Order, Quantum Leap. 

Edited by bubinga5
  • Like 1

I loved Northern Exposure and have the first part of series one on DVD. So many good characters and stories. Hill Street Blues was another firm favourite.

Me and a colleague (late 80s) were obsessed with Johnny Staccato. Great Big Band theme by Elmer Bernstein, and even a stylish clip (blink and you'll miss it) of some double bass playing.

Edited by Mykesbass
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Boodang said:

A blast from the past... who remembers the theme tune from the TV series Northern Exposure?

Recently bought the series on dvd and the theme tune brought back some memories. Written by David Schwartz it's genius!

Harmonica & accordion on a bed of percussion.... but that bass line!! That bass line has been resonating around my head since I first heard it and being a dedicated fretless player I was drawn to it instantly. It's so creative and what a melodic hook.

In the context of a theme tune it's just about perfect. What other suggestions are there for perfect theme tunes? Especially ones with cool bass lines.

I loved Northern Exposure!

Back in the mid 90's I used to work all over the place and I spent a month at Microsoft headquarters in Seattle one December. The place they filmed the show was about 80 miles away, so I took a drive over at the weekend, ate breakfast in the Roslyn Cafe, checked in the radio station etc. it was magic. It was supposed to be Alaska, but it was actually Washington State.

I also visited the town where they filmed Twin Peaks on that trip.

Rob

• Like 5

3 hours ago, GBH said:

Seem to recall it is Lee Sklar on bass on the hill street blues theme.

Yeah, it was. In fact, he played on a lot of Mike Post's TV show themes. IIRC, he met Mike Post on some sessions with the Wrecking Crew.

I like Mike Post's writing and over the years have transcribed a few of his tunes.

I couldn't believe it when I stumbled on him posting on Facebook a couple of months ago where he is very active talking/posting stuff about his career.

(there is a wealth on good info on there).

It's amazing that he had just crash landed onto Social Media after all these years!!

https://www.facebook.com/mikepostcomposer

The is a video interview with him on his website (six short episodes).

https://mike-post.com/biography/

Bill Conti was another terrific TV theme writer (and main film themes for that matter).

I loved the 'Cagney & Lacey' tune he composed. Great playing Ray Pizzi on Alto Sax and the amazing Ernie Watts on Tenor Sax.

And of course, his 'Dynasty' opening theme:

Composer Patrick Williams wrote some stunners as well. 

"On television, his music accompanied Columbo, Lou Grant, The Mary Tyler Moore Show, The Bob Newhart Show, The Streets of San Francisco to name a few".

Edit - Double Post.

For some reason, I can't seem to find how to delete a post on Basschat. Yet, I can name a couple of Sax players on a Cagney & Lacey session from years ago...

:D

Edited by lowdown

5 hours ago, Boodang said:

from the first time I heard it I was hooked. It's a brilliant bass line all the better for the fretless bass.i often play it Absolute classic

7 hours ago, mr4stringz said:

Ironside anyone? Superb stuff from QJ.

I’d forgotten about ironside! Awesome stuff as always from QJ. Love the soloing in the full version. 

• Like 1