Why become a member? ×

why stack 2 810's on their side?

Kraken

I've seen this before, but seeing Saxon last week I was watching the breakdown of the set between them and Judas Priest and saw that their Bassist had 2 810's that were laid on their side and stacked on top of each other. given that in the usual configuration it won't make a difference if they are on their side or stood up, at least in terms of Speaker facing, why do some players do this?

It looks interesting? 

TBH for the size of venues that these bands are playing on-stage amplification will make zero contribution to what the audience hears, and depending on how the monitoring is configured somewhere between zero and very little to what the musicians hear, so they might as well do something interesting with how the backline is arranged. For all we know the cabs are stage props only.

• Like 4

49 minutes ago, Bassybert said:

More stable if they’re laid flat maybe?

It may well be that, as from the pic above two laid on top of each other look to be pretty similar in height to two standing next to each other.

Or maybe it`s just to make the roadies work that little bit harder if they`ve misbehaved.

I saw Stanley Clarke with that setup once and he has individual pickup outs on his basses so each would end up going to it's own cab.

I was front of the stage right in front of that rig and it sounded great, though incredibly loud.

Someone who knows about speakers will probably tell me I was wrong, but twenty years ago I used to borrow a mates 8x10 on occasion, and as the stage had a step at the back I used to routinely lay it on its side as I thought it gave better dispersal, and it meant all 8 speakers were above waist height. The bass didn't go through the PA.

Having tried this recently there's something cool about the feel of so much of the cab having direct contact with a stage... it can actually really help in a bigger space, especially with IEMS and maybe a lower stage volume.