Why become a member? ×

Best amp for intermediate player?

I feel like I'm reaching the end of my beginner stages and starting my intermediate stages as a player. Right now I have an ampeg BA 108 but I'm looking to upgrade to a good head and can or combo amp. I don't want to break the bank though. I am also starting to do some jam sessions with some coworkers and they're talking about a small gig at the end of the year. Any suggestions? 

Edited by Cheeto726
  • Like 1

Amps are nice as they have lots of knobs and lights, but cabs don't. Cab is that big, cumbersome box that has a sound of its own. Put some time especially to the cab.

Check the space you have in your (or drummer's) car. What is the max output you need - in dB, not watts. The music you play may also affect the choices you have. My uneducated guess would be something like 2x10" or 1x12" for light weight and size. 2x12", 1x15" are the next steps, and 4x10" to 4x12" if space and weight are not an issue, but you need lots of volume.

Two similar cabs usually have the best performance in sound and volume. Two eight ohm 1x12" cabs offer you portability (only one needed) and volume (take two cabs along).

Check Barefaced and similar units, and if possible, do some side by side trials, and let your ears decide.

• Like 2

The best intermediate rig I have seen (and use) is a Trace Elliot Elf into a Barefaced 1x10.

It sounds absolutely fantastic, is portable, and easy to set up. It’s also reasonably cheap for such quality gear. 

There are only a few knobs to turn, and they all character the sound, which makes it easy to use.

I’m using this rig to do a jazz session later tonight. I’ve used it in a pub jam session for both bass and double bass. On the weekend I saw someone gigging the same rig in a surf rock band.

• Like 1

If portability is a factor then a Fender Rumble combo - either the 500 or 800 - would work. They’re plenty loud, lightweight to carry and can be picked up used for good prices.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Lozz196 said:

If portability is a factor then a Fender Rumble combo - either the 500 or 800 - would work. They’re plenty loud, lightweight to carry and can be picked up used for good prices.

Absolutely this. I’d also suggest the Rumble 100v3 if you’re not thinking of any larger gigs

for the time being. They sound great and surprisingly loud, and weigh only 22lbs. I’ve used

mine (with a quiet drummer) for small gigs and it’s fantastic.
(Also the 200 version would probably cover all your needs in the longer term.)

• Like 1

I've found both the Markbass CMD121p and Fender Rumble 500 to be great combo options. They're convenient and very capable standalone, and both have matching cabinets to add 'more of the same' if needed down the road.

Where heads and cabs are concerned, I'd generally recommend a similar end result; a compact 500W head in your preferred flavour, with as good a 1x12 or 2x10 cab as you can afford to begin with and the option to add another identical cab in future.

I know a lot of people get very good results with the Trace Elf and therefore understandably recommend it, but I tried one with my pair of Barefaced One10s and whilst the tone was quite nice, it couldn't produce anywhere near the volume I needed.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Downunderwonder said:

How much would break the bank?

What you need is something that can keep up with well hit drums. Then you are covered for any gig that comes along.

A couple of old 210 cabs and 250w amp is plenty for that.

Honestly, probably something less than 300-400 usd for now. I've been looking at quite a bit of used stuff and keep seeing Peavy and ampeg things. I also keep seeing things about the Trace Elliot Elf amp so I was thinking about getting that and pairing it with a decent cab. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, itu said:

Amps are nice as they have lots of knobs and lights, but cabs don't. Cab is that big, cumbersome box that has a sound of its own. Put some time especially to the cab.

Check the space you have in your (or drummer's) car. What is the max output you need - in dB, not watts. The music you play may also affect the choices you have. My uneducated guess would be something like 2x10" or 1x12" for light weight and size. 2x12", 1x15" are the next steps, and 4x10" to 4x12" if space and weight are not an issue, but you need lots of volume.

Two similar cabs usually have the best performance in sound and volume. Two eight ohm 1x12" cabs offer you portability (only one needed) and volume (take two cabs along).

Check Barefaced and similar units, and if possible, do some side by side trials, and let your ears decide.

I will definitely look into those! I have a local Music Go Round a few miles from me and I think I saw some of those this weekend. I just didn't have time to sit and play with them but I'm definitely gonna check them out this coming weekend 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Cheeto726 said:

I will definitely look into those! I have a local Music Go Round a few miles from me and I think I saw some of those this weekend. I just didn't have time to sit and play with them but I'm definitely gonna check them out this coming weekend 

Trying gear for yourself is key. If you like what it does, that's all that matters. It's worth travelling somewhere where there is a good range of things to try. The last time I brought new gear, I took a day's leave from work and spent it at Bass Direct (other shops are available) trying things. It meant a bit of a journey, but I'm still using and happy with what I bought that day.

It's worth thinking about buying something that has the potential to be added to should you need to make more noise in the future. If you ensure the head or combo you buy has a preamp/line out, you can augment it with extra amps and/or cabs without having to sell and starting from scratch.

• Like 1

Just spend what it takes to buy the best gear you can find.

Good gear will make you sound better no matter where you think you are on the experience scale.

If you know you sound good you'll play with more confidence, and that's a thing people will notice.

• Like 2

For years, mainly due to lack of funds, I struggled with underpowered amps, cabs and combos, where I was always struggling to be heard above the sound of the drums. So my advice is, if possible, go for something that is louder than you think you require, as it's better to have power in reserve if you need it. Now I have the cash available to buy whatever I need, I've gone for a Markbass CMD 102P combo, which gives me both power and lightness. But I'd also recommend the new Fender Rumble V3 combos. The Rumble 500 has a 500 watt amp with a 2x10 cab and allows you to add another cab if you really need the extra volume (which you probably won't). They're reasonably priced new and are even cheaper used (well under your limit) and really light.

• Like 3

A bit of a left field suggestion but this is the route I’ve gone down…. an active PA speaker. 
I bought an LD Systems Icoa 15a for £380. It’s got a 300watt class D amp, 128db max spl (although it doesn’t specify at what frequency), coaxial horn and weighs 25kg. 
Powerful, versatile, sounds great, and not that heavy. Admittedly you’ll need a preamp pedal (unless you already have one), but I think better value than dedicated bass amps. PS they also do a 12” version which is slightly lighter and cheaper. 

• Like 1

Second-hand is the way to go, as long as you have an opportunity to test the gear first. It's worked out fine for me.

I have subscribed to the 2x 8 ohm cabinet school of thought in the past.

These days I prefer 1x 4 ohm cabinet (with plenty of power handling) in a larger format but ideally with lightweight (neo) drivers. 

The reasoning being that it's always going to liberate the all the amp's power (assuming a 4 ohm minimum load)  which means you shouldn't easily run out of headroom. 

I'd rather turn down a system with too much potential than wish I hadn't left the second cab in the spare room...

(For reference,  I have an old 450w Markbass head and a Schroeder 21012L, which is about ¾ the size of a standard 4x10 and weighs 41lb. Both were second- hand)

• Like 1

+1 for powered speaker (with pre-amp). I’ve got a 600w Behringer that weighs about 14kgs and cost just over £150 (so under $200?)

I also have a 500w TC Electronic mini head (bought new for the warranty; about £250) and a 500w Ibanez cab (16kg, £150 used, can be carried in one hand).

• Like 1

Perhaps a Warwick Gnome and whatever suitable cabinet size (or sizes) might work for your particular requirements? I like @itu's suggestions about cabs and speakers, and it is easy to take something like a Gnome or an Elf along for a jaunty musical number in Technicolor testing good candidates.

• Like 2

There are some very good suggestions here. I also have a Trace Elliot Elf and Barefaced One10 cabs, great little setup.

I also have a Fender Rumble 100w combo which is bonkers loud for the wattage rating, and I use it at most rehearsals now simply because it’s so convenient, and sounds so good. The 500w version can be picked up quite cheaply secondhand too.

Rob

• Like 2