Why become a member? ×

My wife is awesome

You are a lucky one.

I am thankful that Herself thinks some basses are worth picking up. Just before Christmas I showed her a picture of a big orange hollow body Gretsch , she took one look and said “get it”. 

• Like 5

I ordered one of those slant fretted Canadian things (they'll never catch on 😂) about a year ago and received an e-mail that it was incoming before my birthday just gone.

Mrs.H said 'I'll pay for that and you can have it as a present'. It still hasn't arrived yet, but it doesn't make her any less awesome. Bass wives rule 🤘.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, msb said:

You are a lucky one.

I am thankful that Herself thinks some basses are worth picking up. Just before Christmas I showed her a picture of a big orange hollow body Gretsch , she took one look and said “get it”. 

Mrs. Pook does this as well.

Hurrah for our splendid spouses !!

• Like 5

Mine too.  I'll say 'I'm thinking of buying another bass' and she might go 'hmm' or 'good'.  The only time she is more vocal is if I announce I am going to sell one.  'Are you sure?  You'll only regret it' and then proceed to try and talk me out of it.  'Gotta spend it on something' is her phrase.  When I hear all these tales of subterfuge to smuggle new basses into the house I do feel incredibly lucky.

• Like 4

My wife was the one that bought me the Washburn AB-35 that I got a few years ago.

I bought it from eBay and when it arrived she transferred money into my account and said it's yours for Christmas.

Bass wives FTW!

Mark

• Like 5

18 hours ago, shoulderpet said:

So, for a while I have been eyeing up the new ocean turquoise Gretsch junior jet ii bass, not having a lot of disposable income my wife had offered a couple of times to go halves with me on the cost of one but I had always declined. 

Anyway the other day my wife told me that she had a delivery and asked if I would sign for it when the courier turned up. 

Anyway the courier turned up I signed for the delivery and then my wife told me to open the box,

I thought maybe it was a new computer chair or something, I opened the box and my eyes lit up when I saw a Gretsch box inside the box, I was over the moon.

Anyway it is a great bass, the photo doesn't do it justice, in person it is much prettier and the colour is much nicer, it sounds great too and if someone told me this bass sold for twice what this sells for i wouldn't question it at all

IMG_11403.thumb.JPG.2de2d74478bc8daca774a6d64dcab679.JPG

That looks fantastic, I've fancied getting one for ages, GAS is hitting hard !! ;) 😛 

John 😎 

1 hour ago, TheGreek said:

...and the rest of us are forwarding this to their significant others...

I’ve certainly shown this to Lady Ez. Not holding out much hope though.

• Haha 2

This was the pic I showed to Herself. She immediately said “get it”. And when it arrived thought it might well be the most beautiful bass she’d seen. I found this in Boston so it wound up being a little more than expected by the time it landed here in Halifax , but no regrets. 
I had been looking at these for about ten years , they never were offered here in Canada. 

IMG_9577.webp

• Like 9

1 hour ago, msb said:

This was the pic I showed to Herself. She immediately said “get it”. And when it arrived thought it might well be the most beautiful bass she’d seen. I found this in Boston so it wound up being a little more than expected by the time it landed here in Halifax , but no regrets. 
I had been looking at these for about ten years , they never were offered here in Canada. 

IMG_9577.webp

That’s a good looking bass 👌 

• Like 1

Years ago , a friend I was playing with had a late 50’s orange Gretsch 6120 , and I thought it might have been one of the most beautiful guitars I’d ever seen. The one day he announced that he didn’t need an expensive guitar , he sold it and bought a cheap Washburn Tele copy. Put in a sliding pickup on a rail. And he still had his signature sound. That must have been thirty years ago , he just retired the Washburn about a year ago.
I’ve had a thing for orange single cutaway Gretsches ever since.

A friend recently bought a pink JrJet , she was playing one in the shop , and called me to get an opinion. I said that most user reviews were great , and told her that if she felt any positive attachment to it … to buy it. The shop has a good return policy. 

She has no intention to return it. 

On 03/03/2024 at 18:02, msb said:

IMG_9577.webp

what is this please, I need one !!

2 hours ago, ezbass said:

I’m guessing a G5440

It’s the med scale G5123B . Originally it was a special run for Guitar Center in the US. Every store was to get one. They were never available in Canada. Just orange. They were Electromatics , built in Korea , but had the TV Jones pickups you normally found in the more expensive models. Later there was a run made for Thomann , and I think one of the distributors in the UK might have had them. The European run was also available in burgundy , as well as orange. So they were a quick run , made about a dozen years ago. Reasonable price with TV Jones pickups. There was speculation at the time that they might become a regular model , but it never happened.

edit … I mostly prefer short scales these days , but was an old Pbass guy that got into Rics. I don’t have any hand issues or physical complaints , I just came to prefer short scales after picking up a Dano Longhorn about 24 years ago. 

Edited by msb
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, msb said:

It’s the med scale G5123B . Originally it was a special run for Guitar Center in the US. Every store was to get one. They were never available in Canada. Just orange. They were Electromatics , built in Korea , but had the TV Jones pickups you normally found in the more expensive models. Later there was a run made for Thomann , and I think one of the distributors in the UK might have had them. The European run was also available in burgundy , as well as orange. So they were a quick run , made about a dozen years ago. Reasonable price with TV Jones pickups. There was speculation at the time that they might become a regular model , but it never happened.

edit … I mostly prefer short scales these days , but was an old Pbass guy that got into Rics. I don’t have any hand issues or physical complaints , I just came to prefer short scales after picking up a Dano Longhorn about 24 years ago. 

what's the neck like please? any other info you can give?