Why become a member? ×

Macca’s Stolen Bass Found

AndyTravis

25 minutes ago, tauzero said:

Well, Wings didn't contribute anything to the progress of music (and they were shit). The Beatles did have some influence on their peers and successors, however you rate their own music. Some of their influence was negative, though, such as people thinking that the wretched Hofner violin bass was not only playable but even good. Poxy things.

One of the most transformative and influential musicians in the last 50 years was Frank Sinatra whose Reprise label gave every artist total freedom to record what they liked.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TheGreek said:

The article states that Macca is really happy to get the bass back. 

I wonder what that equates to as a "reward" in pounds and pence.

An expenses paid dinner for two with his ex wife, a scintillating conversationalist.

3 hours ago, tauzero said:

The cock filter has been scaled back, thankfully. It means we can refer to Dick van Dyke and not Penis van Lesbian.

I'd put that in the Quotes thread but would probably only end up with a warning. 🤣

Edited by TimR
  • Haha 2

I think with the Beatles, you had to be there to experience it.

For me it's very much 'meh', but I was born the day they had one of their last number ones.

A lot of my friends in their late 70s it was the sound track of their teenage years. They go mental when it comes on at discos (or weddings). 

Together with the Stones, Cliff Richard, Elvis, and a lots of other artists they were unique and sowed the seeds of modern pop. 

22 minutes ago, Cosmo Valdemar said:

I'm surprised we made it all the way to page two before the inevitable "the Beatles weren't all that" comments started...

All I did was post a light hearted paraphrase of an Alan Partridge quip and off it all went.  It's as if they'd said that they were bigger than Jesus or something... Oh hang on.

BTW I like the Beatles; There I've said it. 

• Like 1

Posted by The Rutles Fan Club on FB:

"After being lost for 51 years, Dirk McQuickley’s missing guitar string has reportedly been found. This guitar string was special as it played only certain hit-making notes, and many believe its loss was the reason for the Rutles break-up.

The current owner (possible thief) of the guitar string has made the following statement: “I’m keeping it. If Dirk wants the string back, he can come engage in fisticuffs with me.” More on this exciting story as it develops …"

• Haha 3

32 minutes ago, Happy Jack said:

Posted by The Rutles Fan Club on FB:

"After being lost for 51 years, Dirk McQuickley’s missing guitar string has reportedly been found. This guitar string was special as it played only certain hit-making notes, and many believe its loss was the reason for the Rutles break-up.

The current owner (possible thief) of the guitar string has made the following statement: “I’m keeping it. If Dirk wants the string back, he can come engage in fisticuffs with me.” More on this exciting story as it develops …"

Ouch!

On 18/02/2024 at 19:50, Steve Browning said:

Nothing happens unless Frank says so.

Imagine being the man who gave Captain Beefheart and Frank Zappa complete artistic freedom to create some of the craziest music, free from the pressure of record sales targets!

On 18/02/2024 at 21:33, Bassfinger said:

They weren't all that, yet here we are 54 years after their official demise talking about them like we do for no other band.

It’s indicative of a country who is happier looking back rather than looking forward. Has always been the same here. The cultural shadow of the 60s is a confection, with as much junk as jewels.

• Like 2

How long before hofner release period correct versions with a rounded back. I bet they’re creating the cnc templates already!
They’ll be a flood of owners of the current reissue selling their basses as they’re not vintage correct to Paul’s bass. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jonno1981 said:

How long before hofner release period correct versions with a rounded back. I bet they’re creating the cnc templates already!
They’ll be a flood of owners of the current reissue selling their basses as they’re not vintage correct to Paul’s bass. 

And for extra authenticity they be built, strung back to front, stolen, hidden in a loft for 52 years, and then put on sale.

• Haha 3