Why become a member? ×

Metallica: Some kind of Monster. Bass players.

TimR

Quite outside of the band, the thing that struck me about the audition footage was how under-rehearsed some of the bassists seemed. 

Trujillo being the notable exception. 

I believe that I read that Newsted learned the entire back-catalogue before he applied. 

Best bassist for Metallica?

Cliff.

For no reason other than that he had the respect of the rest of the band, and could rein in James and Lars when necessary.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Lfalex v1.1 said:

Quite outside of the band, the thing that struck me about the audition footage was how under-rehearsed some of the bassists seemed. 

Def, whilst I`m not a big fan of Metallica, so not knowing the songs on the auditions, I thought when Trujillo played there was a noticeable increase in solidity and power. One of those things where if I`d known nothing about them and it was happening live-feed I`d have thought "well he`s got the job then".

9 minutes ago, Lfalex v1.1 said:

The power of editing. We only saw the other bass players play one bar of Bells, by no means a difficult song - perhaps it took them a few minutes to loosen up a bit? I'd certainly have been nervous!

I'm sure even Geordie White managed to play in in tune at some point but that's not the clip they used.

I'm not doubting Trujillo's abilities for a moment but even his audition clip is a montage.

I always thought the woman who played with them at the fan club day was great!

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Lfalex v1.1 said:

I believe that I read that Newsted learned the entire back-catalogue before he applied. 

Best bassist for Metallica?

Cliff.

For no reason other than that he had the respect of the rest of the band, and could rein in James and Lars when necessary.

he knew the back catalogue but his master stroke was that he nailed down the live set they was playing with cliff

• Like 1

Apart from Trujillo, the other auditionees in Monster are mostly bassists/guitarists from well-known bands rather than pure session guys. Trujillo was ten years into a arena-level session career so he'd have the toolkit to come in and just kill the whole audition. As an aside I love Eric Avery but don't think his style would have meshed well.

21 minutes ago, asingardenof said:

I think he acquired a copy of their most recent set list rather than the entire back catalogue.

They'd only done 3 albums by then - pretty much the same thing!

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, Doctor J said:

Possibly the finest recording of a Metallica gig, from early December 86. Newsted was bang on.

That's very impressive , getting back on track so quickly after the various incidents on earlier parts of the tour . 
I was at the hammy o gig . Believe it or not , anthrax were the better band that night . 

Anthrax were better than Iron Maiden when I saw them play together.

That said,  Maiden had just lost Adrian and replaced him with Janick. They were touring "No Prayer for the Dying". Hardly their strongest album. 

Anthrax were mostly covering "Persistence of Time" with bits of "Among the Living" and "Euphoria" thrown in.

Line up? Belladonna, Benante, Bello, Ian and Spitz. That's as good as it gets. 

• When I saw Metallica in '89, they had no real competition from their support. Metallica were "good", but there wasn't much of a yardstick.

Edited by Lfalex v1.1
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Bolo said:

One of the best gigs I've seen the past decade too!

Yes ! Metal at its finest . I was lucky to see anthrax at the Clarendon when they first played here on the spreading the disease tour .

This was their next London gig . Then they came back for the Amomg the living tour , was very lucky to see thrash at its peak 🙂

• Like 1

Just now, Lfalex v1.1 said:

Anthrax were better than Iron Maiden when I saw them play together.

That said,  Maiden had just lost Adrian and replaced him with Janick. They were touring "No Prayer for the Dying". Hardly their strongest album. 

Anthrax were mostly covering "Persistence of Time" with bits of "Among the Living" and "Euphoria" thrown in.

Line up? Belladonna, Benante, Bello, Ian and Spitz. That's as good as it gets. 

Yes ! The Wembley gig I was at . Anthrax looked slightly more serious and determined from their previous shows imho

I never thought we'd end up at the bar after 4 or 5 songs for maiden . In them days pre internet, news about internal problems at the  time were  not as instant as these days 

Yep. That's the one. 

As for peak thrash, I see your early Anthrax in a good venue and raise you;

Clash of the Titans (1990)

It wasn't the big 4. More like 2 of 4 with excellent support.  All fielding their classic line-ups.

Slayer- Araya, King, Hanneman, Lombardo

Megadeth- Mustaine, Friedman, Menza, Ellerton

Testament- Billy, Peterstone, Skolnick, Christian, Clemente

Suicidal Tendencies- Muir, Trujillo, George, Clark, Herrera.

Best of the night? Controversially, Testament. But no-one sucked. Particularly Slayer. They were superb.

• Like 1

My 2 favourites of the 'Big 4' were Megadeth and Anthrax.

They were sort of opposites in that Megadeth were complex whereas Anthrax were more like a punch in the face, almost like a punk band but with an opera singer on lead vocals.

I only saw them live once, on that Maiden tour and they were absolutely superb.

I think career wise they took a wong turn when Belladonna left and they went grunge on 'The Sound of White Noise' even though I actually really liked that album.

They alienated the metal fans and I'm not sure they picked up many new ones from the alternative/grunge scene because they already had a huge reputation as one of the 'Big Four' thrash bands.

I stopped listening to metal not long after that but while occaisionally I'd hear people talk about Metallica, Megadeth and Slayer I didn't hear much about Anthrax after that album.

Edited by Cato
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Lfalex v1.1 said:

Yep. That's the one. 

It wasn't the big 4. More like 2 of 4 with excellent support.  All fielding their classic line-ups.

Slayer- Araya, King, Hanneman, Lombardo

Megadeth- Mustaine, Friedman, Menza, Ellerton

Testament- Billy, Peterstone, Skolnick, Christian, Clemente

Suicidal Tendencies- Muir, Trujillo, George, Clark, Herrera.

Best of the night? Controversially, Testament. But no-one sucked. Particularly Slayer. They were superb.

Mmm....😹. I wanted to go to that , but nobody else did . Not a happy bunny at the time . However in my defence ( and to make myself feel better ) , I went off megadeth after the imho dreadful peace sells gig at hammy o . Plus , I wasn't a fan of suicidal tendencies at the time .  Alway, always love slayer and saw them reign in blood / south of heaven and later tours . Testament great live band .

saw them supporting anthrax and ar Astoria . Great band . When megadeth had to drop out of the monsters of rock gig in cologne , testament were the replacements and were 2 nd best band of the day imho ( maiden healining 7th son ) . I saw suicidal at Wembley headlining and that was a good gig .

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Lfalex v1.1 said:

I saw that show at the NEC in Birmingham.

My favourites of the night were predictably Megadeth who were probably my favourite band at that point, but also Suicidal Tendencies. I went out and got the whole ST back catalogue after that.

Slayer had technical difficulties that night, I think it was probably to do with the onstage sound because they sounded OK to me in the audience.

The whole set roadies kept running on stage to check Jeff Hanneman's guitar or give him a different guitar and you could see him getting more and more frustrated until eventually he threw a guitar on the ground out of pure anger.

All in all they were still pretty good and the whole thing is still one of the best gigs I've seen though.

Edited by Cato
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, Cato said:

My 2 favourites of the 'Big 4' were Megadeth and Anthrax.

They were sort of opposites in the Megadeth were complex whereas Anthrax were more like a punch in the face, almost like a punk band but with an opera singer on lead vocals.

I only saw them live once, on that Maidwn tour and they were absolutely superb.

I think career wise they took a wong turn when Belladonna left and they went grunge on 'The Sound of White Noise' even though I actually really liked that album.

They alienated the metal fans and I'm not sure they picked up many new ones from the alternative/grunge scene because they already had a huge reputation as one of the 'Big Four' thrash bands.

I stopped listening to metal not long after that but while occaisionally I'd hear people talk about Metallica, Megadeth and Slayer I didn't hear much about Anthrax after that album.

Yeah, I think there was a punky and very energetic vibe with anthrax . Always good . I like all their stuff .. was lucky to see them play the Camden underworld with John bush . Great gig also. Slayer never disappoint imho ..what you see is what you get .

i alway found megadeth patchy , and mustaine unpredictable . Having said that, I think mustaine is/ was the one of best guitarist in thrash and one of the best in metal in general just behind Alex skolnick . His vocals can be ok , but so many times he spoils a really good song by sounding like dick dastardly 😂

Edited by RAY AGAINST THE MACHINE
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, DawnPatroller said:

Some spot-on opinions in here about Newsted and Trujillo's bass abilities and contributions👍

This was kind of the purpose of the thread. 

I don't think a lot of bands understand the importance of the bass player (yes, I know, I would say that).

Every band has that function, from orchestras, choirs, electronic music. It's not something you can just bolt on and expect to work. And I'm increasing led to belive that the bass "chooses you", or more subtly bass players are attracted to bass as it suits their mindset.