Why become a member? ×

How was your Jam ...

SamIAm

I've seen 'How was your Gig' and 'How was your rehearsal', but could not find one for Jams (Apologies if this was simply due to my poor searching!)

So ... I shall kick things off.

A few weeks ago I posted a 'I play bass, can I come along' ... the response was 'We already have a bass player' 😕 Hmmm ... where in the rules does it suggest that only one bass player is the max!?

Anyhoo, a week or so later I received a message ... "we need a new bass player weekly, might you be interested". Ha ...  I was on it like a rash!

So, last week I went along and whilst being a bit timid, I really enjoyed it.  Feedback was good and the fellow who hosts it even suggested I should turn up the volume ... I like it!!

This evening I went again ... OMG, WHAT a blast!

About 10 of us, playing through a bunch of leadsheets for a couple of hours ... and all really nice folks to boot!

I was not doing anything sophisticated ... root/fifth, with an octave now and then.  Some chromatic approaches, varying the beat from time to ... time, even throwing in some thirds when it seemed appropiate.

really felt in the groove and it will take days for the smile to disappear from my face.

Now I just need to find the magical sequence of plugins on my Dwarf to get a nice upright like sound ... :) 

Sam x

Edited by SamIAm
  • Like 8

• SamIAm changed the title to How was your Jam ...

I was not doing anything sophisticated ... root/fifth, with an octave now and then.  Some chromatic approaches, varying the beat from time to ... time, even throwing in some thirds when it seemed appropiate

Sounds like spot-on classic bass playing to me!

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, SamIAm said:

I've seen 'How was you Gig' and 'How was your rehersal', but could not find one for Jams (Apologies if this was simply due to my poor searching!)

So ... I shall kick things off.

A few weeks ago I posted a 'I play bass, can I come along' ... the response was 'We already have a bass player' 😕 Hmmm ... where in the rules does it suggest that only one bass player is the max!?

Anyhoo, a week or so later I received a message ... "we need a new bass player weekly, might you be interested". Ha ...  I was on it like a rash!

So, last week I went along and whilst being a bit timid, I really enjoyed it.  Feedback was good and the fellow who hosts it even suggested I should turn up the volume ... I like it!!

This evening I went again ... OMG, WHAT a blast!

About 10 of us, playing through a bunch of leadsheets for a couple of hours ... and all really nice folks to boot!

I was not doing anything sophisticated ... root/fifth, with an octave now and then.  Some chromatic approaches, varying the beat from time to ... time, even throwing in some thirds when it seemed appropiate.

really felt in the groove and it will take days for the smile to disappear from my face.

Now I just need to find the magical sequence of plugins on my Dwarf to get a nice upright like sound ... :) 

Sam x

95% of bass is about turning up on time, following the chords and doing the basics.

Finding the groove is what we live for!

• Like 6

15 hours ago, SamIAm said:

Nothing better than playing in a band with good musicians! It lifts your own game, and makes it easier to play with them.  

• Like 5

15 hours ago, SamIAm said:

I still can't get my head around this.🤔

Does this mean that no bass players can go along and replace the "house band" bassist to play a couple of songs?

Does this apply to guitarists, drummers, etc.. as well?

• Like 3

7 hours ago, thebrig said:

Does this mean that no bass players can go along and replace the "house band" bassist to play a couple of songs?

It's happened to me twice.  Turned up, played and been warned off by the house band bassist.  In one case he had anger management issues and was agressive (and eventually banned), in the other, it was a polite 'The house band also play out, and this is our relaxation. So we are not looking for a regular 2nd bassist'.

David

• Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

Happened to me once, hanging around to get a go for a couple of tunes. The house bassist jumped back in and that was that. Haven't bothered since, seemed to be too many egos going on with that lot anyway.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

7 hours ago, thebrig said:

The Jam in question is a monthly gathering of ukulele players (It can sound like a swarm of bees at times!) so not as regimented.

Anyone can turn up with their uke (Be it soprano/concert/tenor) and join in ... as there are not many ukulele bass players, I asked 'just to be polite' and was rather shocked at the response!

In the end tho, it led to me finding a very very happy place to groove!

Sam x

• Like 1

9 hours ago, SamIAm said:

The Jam in question is a monthly gathering of ukulele players (It can sound like a swarm of bees at times!) so not as regimented.

Anyone can turn up with their uke (Be it soprano/concert/tenor) and join in ... as there are not many ukulele bass players, I asked 'just to be polite' and was rather shocked at the response!

In the end tho, it led to me finding a very very happy place to groove!

Sam x

Oh, I didn't realise that it was a jam for ukulele players.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

12 hours ago, JazzyJ said:

Happened to me once, hanging around to get a go for a couple of tunes. The house bassist jumped back in and that was that.

AFAICT that's the default for jazz jams, at least, though there's some variation.

There's one I usually don't attend as I'll be lucky to get one go in the first set and one in the second, then get back to bed near midnight for an 06:00 alarm and 90+ minute commute the next day.

Another, where I am the house player, it's extremely rare for another bassist to appear. When they have they have brought their own bass guitar and amp and we have then alternated two tunes on and two off between us. If they wanted to use my upright I would be reluctant to let them play more than a couple of tunes during the night.

My least favourite jam (> 20 years ago now) involved turning up early to set up, then helping the drummer and keyboard player, and playing for the first 30-40 mins or so. At that point other bassists would turn up and demand to use my bass and/or amp, supported by the MC because "you've already played for a while", and this would go on until the end of the night when I would get out last and struggle to find a taxi.

• Like 3

I am house bassist for a well attended Jam night, now in 24th year. And many nights I never get back on stage after my opening slot is done. 

Anyone who tuns up can play. . . . even the people who don't know one end of their instrument from the other. We've had a 10 man drum troupe, Didgeridoo, unaccompanied violin, banjo player and one guy who sang sea shanties and recited poetry. Another regular is a 70+ year old who shouts (like a punk Rex Harrison) his way through 60's pop songs. They all get their slot and if they come back, they can do it all again.

If you put restrictions on who can play it's not a jam night.

Edited by chris_b
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, knirirr said:

. . . . other bassists would turn up and demand to use my bass and/or amp, supported by the MC because "you've already played for a while" . . . .

The band provides the backline, but on our jam night everyone brings their own bass, guitar and drum sticks. Since Covid some bring their own mics. Anyone who turns up wanting to "borrow" a bass doesn't get to play.

Everyone gets 2 songs and then the running order depends on who has turned up. For some reason we get a lot of drummers. The band leader is the final arbiter of who plays with whom, when and for how long.

• Like 3

Lending out backline seems fair enough to me. If it's jazz then the expectation seems to be that the house bassist will let others use their upright for a tune or two (same for keyboard and drums), given that all these instruments are a pain to transport and cause a great deal of clutter.

Having said that, I went to a jazz jam recently where two keyboard players set up because one refused to use anyone else's keyboard (and then noodled on everything).

I'd expect anyone wanting to play guitar or bass guitar to bring their own, and to accept without complaint or argument if they are told they may not borrow one. Not everyone I meet at jams shares this opinion.

• Like 4

I’ve been in the house band for a Sunday jam for over twenty five years now in my favourite blues dive downtown. I let people use my gear and have never suffered any incidents. Some nights I’ll do the entire night , but most nights have some friends sitting in. Someone said that on a good Sunday night you have both extremes. There’s a little misery , and some great playing. All levels , all ages. It can be my most enjoyable night of the week. Whenever I get tossed something I’ve never played I do make note and learn the parts later. As long as somebody knows the tune we’re generally on.

It is surprising to note how several players using the same gear , same settings , will all sound very different. 

• Like 3

I’m fortunate to go the the most fantastic jam night every Monday in Woking. The have the most fabulous house band - headed up at the moment by the phenomenal jazz/rock guitarist Nicolas Meier. How good is he? Let’s just say he played in Jeff Beck’s band a while back. However, it’s an absolutely ego free affair. The house band will do a couple of songs but the main priority is ensuring everyone gets plenty of chances to play if they want to. The music ranges from jazz to Latin to rock to pop to soul… just depending what the punters want to do that night.

The jam has full backline and a sweet bass rig… a Tonehammer 500 into a pair of MarkBass 1x12s. Very nice!

The house bassist if a fabulous player called Ana-Maria Lazar but there’s no hint of hogging the light. She’s happy to play if nobody wants to but would much rather have folks getting up and having a go. Here’s a vid I took a while back which gives you an idea how good the house band are. Nick and Carl Orr on guitar, Ana on bass and Adam Bond on drums.  

So e photos from a typical night here… https://www.facebook.com/100092387225241/posts/pfbid0phhRubD7m4uqENxThosDW5CT4e7z5FjQsEBNaWafzejNDkZqDW2dYEK1jtB8B7wwl/?

image.thumb.png.20b64f0620ae24c6baead6f0724cf75b.png

Edited by TrevorR
  • Like 6

2 hours ago, TrevorR said:

The house bassist if a fabulous player called Ana-Maria Lazar but there’s no hint of hogging the light. She’s happy to play if nobody wants to but would much rather have folks getting up and having a go

What a great attitude ... encouraging new folks to play ... a fab way to spread the joy!

Sam x

• Like 1

16 hours ago, SamIAm said:

What a great attitude ... encouraging new folks to play ... a fab way to spread the joy!

Sam x

Yeah, set up by the guy who runs a local music school and very much with that inclusive attitude. Highly recommend it to anyone in travelling distance to Woking. Great fun night… https://www.wokingmusic.co.uk/weekly-monday-night-jam

For full disclosure I should say that this jam is a bit of a one off. There’s another one near me which is a bit ramshackle but friendly and keen to get everyone a go. Been to that a few times and it’s a fun night. And then… there’s another which just seems to be an excuse for two groups of chums (I.e. the organisers) to get up and play up on stage and wasn’t welcoming at all… never went back to that latter one. 

Edited by TrevorR
  • Like 2

On 27/01/2024 at 13:05, SamIAm said:

Hmmm ... I would suggest they use their own or go away!

Sam x

For the instrument perhaps, but everyone bringing their own amps would be chaos.

And, surely, part of being the house bassist is to provide the backline.

• Like 3

Well that's prompted me to drop a line to the Facebook page for the jazz jam near me, to check if bassists are welcome and if so whether I need to bring an amp (and also what sort of charts people usually play from) - so if they reply and say yes, I'll have to turn up, won't I?

That's the Hot Jazz Jam at the Royal Oak in Mellor incidentally, in case anyone else knows it, or indeed is the house bassist there :D

• Like 2