Why become a member? ×

How was your Jam ...

SamIAm

On 29/01/2024 at 16:32, nekomatic said:

Well that's prompted me to drop a line to the Facebook page for the jazz jam near me, to check if bassists are welcome and if so whether I need to bring an amp (and also what sort of charts people usually play from) - so if they reply and say yes, I'll have to turn up, won't I?

They replied that bassists are positively welcomed because they never get any and the house band bassist would be very happy to have a break for a couple of tunes 😁

Not sure if I can make this month's, but as soon as I do go along I'll report back here!

• Like 3

The last thing I jammed did NOT end well.

It's week 2 in a new band (I've since left)

Both the guitarist and drummer are, on the face of it, more accomplished than I.

We've gone through all the material,  and have some time left. 

Drummer; "Wanna Jam something?"

Me; "Sure, what've you got? Guitarist?

Both; "Nothing"

Me; "OK. Well I have this..."

Plays riff in 6/8, in a Blues scale with an extra sharpened 7th. (Almost sounds like "Paranoid" collided with "Communication Breakdown")

Drummer; "Woaaah. That's not in 4/4!"

Guitarist; "What's that progression?"

It All falls down. We never jammed again. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 01/02/2024 at 16:29, nekomatic said:

Not sure if I can make this month's, but as soon as I do go along I'll report back here!

So I did go, and… it was brilliant. I'm still buzzing! Superb house band, it would have been worth the trek out just to listen to them; everyone really friendly, including house bassist Gavin, and well organised; really good players getting up, including rhythm section - so I felt stretched, but in a good way, and some people even said nice things about my playing which I'm sure weren't completely deserved but I'll take them! Only really came off the rails on one tune but nobody minded and (as per @Geek99's thread) that's how we learn. 

The only thing wrong with it is that I have to wait a month for the next one! 

• Like 9

54 minutes ago, nekomatic said:

So I did go, and… it was brilliant. I'm still buzzing! Superb house band, it would have been worth the trek out just to listen to them; everyone really friendly, including house bassist Gavin, and well organised; really good players getting up, including rhythm section - so I felt stretched, but in a good way, and some people even said nice things about my playing which I'm sure weren't completely deserved but I'll take them! Only really came off the rails on one tune but nobody minded and (as per @Geek99's thread) that's how we learn. 

The only thing wrong with it is that I have to wait a month for the next one! 

Fantastic! That’s definitely a result! Enjoy the next one.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

There was a jazz jam on last night; IIRC there were 5 bassists in the room and 2 guitarists, with neither of the guitarists wanting to play. So, I ended up on guitar instead, but I think I just about got away with it.

Video here, should anyone be interested (dodgy guitar solo at approx 2:15).

• Like 4

On 02/02/2024 at 20:42, Lfalex v1.1 said:

It All falls down. We never jammed again. 

That's a shame. We've done two originals in the punk band by jamming. They'll have their first outing in a few weeks.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

So, at last night's Woking Weekly Monday Night Jam night Beth (one of the regular singers) sidles up to me and says "Trevor, you could play Hocus Pocus by Focus, couldn't you?" "Erm... give me 10 minutes to work out the riff and I could try..." And so this happens... bonkers but such great fun! A bit random but, what a blast!!

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

Well this thread doesn’t seem to have gained the popularity that the last gig and last rehearsal ones have, but anyway: Royal Oak Mellor jazz jam was great again last night, and just what my playing needs at the moment - a moderate workout and incentive to get practicing for next month. 

Got sandbagged on a trio number again though - next time I’m going prepared, with a tune to call that I actually know!

• Like 2

The jam earlier this week was interesting.

- Bass and drums.

- 2x horn players.

- 2x acoustic guitarists.

The guitarists wanted to call gypsy jazz tunes and the horn players were more into modal hard bop stuff, which the guitarists struggled to play as chugging chords doesn't really work on that sort of thing.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Just starting a new 3 piece band. 
Tonight me & the drummer got together to jam out some ideas & go over our setup. 

Next one will include the singer/guitarist. 

Here’s my setup.

IMG_8684.thumb.jpeg.cd1f2dd44d1e9a191e73224ca5b32f62.jpeg

• Like 2

I used to go to a jam night a while ago and stopped going in the end.  Problem was the house band always had there favourite musicians so there favourites would be on for several songs and unless you were lucky you would get squeezed in at the end for 1 or 2 songs and occasionally if it was a busy night you might not get to play at all so you would end up at the pub till half eleven on a work night so that you could play for 3-6 minutes, to make it even worse if you showed up even slightly after 8pm they wouldn't even bother trying to make sure you got to play and would use that as an excuse. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

Posted (edited)

In my OP I shared that I'd messaged an open jam group ...

"A few weeks ago I posted a 'I play bass, can I come along' ... the response was 'We already have a bass player' 😕" I found another jam group to play with.

A week or so ago the original group approched me, their regular bass player was going to be off for a while (possibly permanently) and would I be prepared to fill in?

So trounce off or go for it ... option 2 for me (I love to play any chance I get)

Awaiting setlist for the next monthly 'jam' :)

Sam x

Edited by SamIAm
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

I go to a monthly jam night, I don't know if any others do this, I've suggested having a hat with slips of paper in with like chord progression and style written on, otherwise you just end up with endless 12 bars..

Normally get a good mix, had a sax player at the last one but he insisted on every jam which was a shame.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Crusoe said:

Burn the heretic 😄

To make it even better (or worse depending on your point of view) I play tenor banjo in a trad jazz band and in the bluegrass band I play bass but get to listen to our excellent 5 string banjo player...best of both worlds.😄

Edit: I had to remove the ' that somehow slipped into the original post...I am getting old I guess.🙄

Edited by Staggering on
  • Like 2

Not sure if it counts as a 'jam'; I made a marmalade with courgettes from the garden and clementines (bought in season in trays from the supermarket...). Despite my boiling it up to the right temperature, it wouldn't set, even after several weeks after potting up. I poured all the jars back into a pot, and added a few sachets of powdered gelatine and re-potted. It's now perfect, and stays on the toast as it should, instead of flowing off all over the table. Pleased..? Yes, I am, rather. :friends:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

45 minutes ago, Staggering on said:

To make it even better (or worse depending on your point of view) I play tenor banjo in a trad jazz band and in the bluegrass band I play bass but get to listen to our excellent 5 string banjo player...best of both world's. 😊 

Tenor banjo in trad or big band is something I have to admit I really enjoy! 5 string banjo not so much, though I'm sure it has its place.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Rodders said:

Tenor banjo in trad or big band is something I have to admit I really enjoy! 5 string banjo not so much, though I'm sure it has its place.

You should check out Bela Fleck’s new album… several versions of Gershwin’s Rhapsody In Blue arranged with banjo taking the piano parts… an orchestral version, a bluegrass version etc…

Here’s the bluegrass version.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Crusoe said:
8 hours ago, Staggering on said:

Steady now, there are some banjo players on here, I'm one of them.....😊

Burn the heretic 😄

I thought it better to burn the banjo, and have stern words with the heretic.

• Haha 3