Why become a member? ×

NBD, oh god what have I done?

Rich

Can't afford it, don't need it at all, I already have everything I need.

Bought it anyway. :lol:  headless bass itch well and truly scratched.
Series S4000 I believe, serial number is 235... I have no idea how to age it though, any ideas? I had no idea these things were so heavy though!
I changed the batteries and one of the connectors fell apart as I unclipped it, so it now has shiny new battery clips :)  but everything else is perfect. Can't wait to wheel it out at a rehearsal. 

IMG_20240124_113839.jpg

IMG_20240124_113823.jpg

Edited by Rich
  • Like 32

Fab!

I had one exactly the same as this - in fact the serial number rings a bell… Maybe it’s the same bass?

I bought mine new from the Soho Soundhouse in ‘89/90 I think for £895 on interest free credit. Came with a proper flight case with moulded foam interior that weighed more than the bass.

The body is resin, hence the weight, but it sounded great. Can’t remember but I think I px’d it for a Warwick Fortress… idiot..!!

• Like 1

Oooh that’s a mess…

I’m 99% sure this is my old bass. From memory it was unusual to have the black painted hardware, which wasn’t ideal due to risk of chipping off. It appears to be be in really good condition after all these years though.

Nice catch! And if you ever fancy moving her on give me a shout 😉

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Rich said:

The less said about the interior foam for this case, the better... :lol: 

Thankfully, easily sorted. 

IMG_20240124_122612.jpg

That's probably an exact fit for one of those Cleartone Conversions...

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Paul S said:

That's probably an exact fit for one of those Cleartone Conversions...

If you don't mind the headstock sticking out. Would be a shame if it did though, that's usually the best part. Fanned tuners, handwritten logo, different hardware colours. True works of art. Would be a shame if something were to happen to it :biggrin:

• Haha 2

• 3 weeks later...

OK, I've done the various little bits that needed doing -- having said everything bar the battery clips was perfect, it wasn't :)  it needed a damned good clean and a fret dress & polish, and the action and intonation needed sorting too (once I'd found an allen key that fitted), but now it's all good. Still need to sort that case but the bass itself is fine.

Living with it... well, it's surprisingly heavy, and I thought I'd get on ok with that, but actually it's an issue. Remarkably it's introduced me to something I never thought existed, i.e. body dive :lol: that makes it impossible to play on my knee. It does play beautifully however, a nice low-but-not-ridiculously-low action and a fast, comfortable neck. The sound is classic Status, and that is a very, very good thing.

It's definitely scratched an itch I've always had, but... and I feel like a traitor saying this... I don't actually like it all that much. Well I like it yes, but nowhere near as much as my Spector or Sire and waaaaaay less than my Shuke. And I definitely preferred my old wood neck Status Series 1 5-string from way back...

Edited by Rich
  • Like 5

2 hours ago, Rich said:

I don't actually like it all that much.

You should never meet your heroes. I schemed for ever to get hold of a Music Man Cutlass (the new one), I don't think it's been out of it case for a year...

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

...and now of course, having said all that, I took it to rehearsal last night and oh my giddy bloody aunt, it sounds amazing through my gig rig. It cuts through like an extremely sharp thing hacking its way through something easily hackable. Perhaps I can live with the weight and the balance after all..? ❤️

• Like 6

7 minutes ago, Rich said:

...and now of course, having said all that, I took it to rehearsal last night and oh my giddy bloody aunt, it sounds amazing through my gig rig. It cuts through like an extremely sharp thing hacking its way through something easily hackable. Perhaps I can live with the weight and the balance after all..? ❤️

Did you just tighten the screws on its coat peg a little?

• Haha 1

On 14/02/2024 at 12:07, Rich said:

Remarkably it's introduced me to something I never thought existed, i.e. body dive :lol: that makes it impossible to play on my knee.

I have an ACG that exhibits this very thing. The answer is to use a strap even when seated. If you follow the usual advice to have the bass at the same height standing as it is sitting then you won't even have to adjust the strap length.

• Like 3

I’m sure it’ll find its place in the armoury Rich. I scratched my S2 itch a couple of years back, still got it but I don’t use it that much. Wouldn’t sell it though as it has some sentimental attachment. I feel I’m a heretic by saying I preferred my old Streamline…..noticed they’re also ridiculously expensive now 😟

Edited by martthebass
  • Like 1