Why become a member? ×

Jools Holland Hootananny!

theplumber

33 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

I would have avoided that anyway - I saw Rod Stewart on Graham Norton a few months back and it was embarassingly bad, I mean, i was never a fan of Rod - I never thought he was a good singer, but that was something very bad by his standards.

Not a good singer but fitted well with the Faces, and the guest vocal he did for Python Lee Jackson.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, tauzero said:

Not a good singer but fitted well with the Faces, and the guest vocal he did for Python Lee Jackson.

I’d have to disagree with you - I thought in his prime period ( early 70’s) there were few to touch RS

as a vocalist. Loved The Faces, one of my favourite bands.
Saw him in the 70’s and he was tremendous - okay, sometimes a bit pitchy but it kind

of didn’t matter, such a distinctive and soulful tone to his voice. I hated the swing stuff he did, and

not sure if his forthcoming collaboration with Jools will be much better TBH. I saw him again

in summer 2023, and he was surprisingly good, if a bit cabaret at times. 

• Like 4

41 minutes ago, ezbass said:

I was talking about the Hootenanny with family this evening and my FiL doesn’t do modern, so I looked up how long the Hootenanny has been going, 30 years last night - hardly modern.

Most of the music played on the Hootenanny would have been a bit dated 60 years ago.

Few could touch Rodders back in the day for griitty pop/rock vocal prowess...total original talent. But the day he donned a tux was a sad day indeed, who's he think he is...Sinatra? 

And Jools follows a line of key players who never gave a give a fig about the bass player...watch his left hand...major dis-respect. As for the show...Ive no idea..same ole thing for ever..., question is, what else is there? 

43 minutes ago, diskwave said:

Few could touch Rodders back in the day for griitty pop/rock vocal prowess...total original talent. But the day he donned a tux was a sad day indee

This, especially his work with a young Jeff Beck.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, StingRayBoy42 said:

They were (and are) jaw-droppingly amazing.

Prepare to fall into a youtube rabbit hole!

Musically excellent, but that sort of stuff typifies Jools and bores my socks off.

7 hours ago, chris_b said:

In his day, with Long John Baldry, Steampacket, Jeff Beck and the Faces, Rod Stewart was outstanding.

I thought the Sugababes band was good and the bass player was excellent.

I thought so too, the bass player and the drummer were spot on.

The Sugababes vocals were also excellent, although I couldn’t help wondering if

they were being ‘helped’ in places? 

I recorded it and flicked through most of it yesterday on FFWD.

I have often defended LWJH and Hootenanny as I worry that if it was stopped, we would lose another live music TV show.  

However, I did struggle with that episode and agree it is all feeling dated. .  I struggle to listen to Jools' boogie woogie over everything for very long, and just feel myself cringing whenever he tries to interview anyone.  From what I could tell Paul Whitehouse and Vic Reeves, sorry, Jim Moir were well aware and taking the mickey out of him for it.

I thought the Sugababe's band was very good, but that didn't save the show on its own. 

I used to be a huge fan of Joss Stone but felt her voice had changed a bit too much and having the song (the one I saw) played on DB that you could barely hear meant it was missing some of the funkyness.

I also thought the "legends" on the show were all struggling with the vocals.  I have never got Rod since he went all swing, and if it wasn't for one of his backing singers that was drawing my attention, I would have switched it straight off.

To me, Gilson Lavis always feels like he is dragging/slightly behind the tempo, but I am sure he is 1 million times the musician I will ever be and I suppose could be playing to click while the rest of the band pushes, I don't know.  To me, it never grooves right, but obviously just IMHO.

I just hope they can ressurect/update the two shows in some format so we continue with live music on TV.  I think for me it would need a new presenter and a ban on boogie woogie jamming, but I think as it is Mr Holland's show and likely produced by his own company, that is doubtful!  I guess if it was my show I would want to keep it going for as long as possible, and join in with bands as much as I could, so a massive hypocrite here!

• Like 2

21 hours ago, taunton-hobbit said:

I wish Rod Stewart would stop doing old swing stuff

He can do crooner stuff because there aren't too many high notes, and his voice is too shot to do his own back catalogue... a friend of mine saw him live a couple of years back, and said some of the old songs had been transposed down so far they were almost unrecognisable.

Personally I think he should retire and stick to making model buildings -- from what I've seen, he has an astonishing talent for it. 

I haven't seen a single second of the Hootenanny so I can't comment on it specifically. From the sound of it however, I would have watched Rick Astley instead anyway. His voice these days is fantastic. I was dragged to see Take That a couple of years ago, Rick was the support and for me he stole the show completely.

Edited by Rich

3 hours ago, Huge Hands said:

I thought the Sugababe's band was very good, but that didn't save the show on its own. 

I didn't watch it, but I've worked with the Sugar Babes guitarist (Francois Fasano) and he is an absolute monster, and the rest of their band is equally talented

• Like 1

12 hours ago, chris_b said:

In his day, with Long John Baldry, Steampacket, Jeff Beck and the Faces, Rod Stewart was outstanding.

I thought the Sugababes band was good and the bass player was excellent.

The Sugababes band was good. I thought the Sugababes themselves were completely uninspiring.

1 hour ago, Rich said:

I haven't seen a single second of the Hootenanny so I can't comment on it specifically. From the sound of it however, I would have watched Rick Astley instead anyway. His voice these days is fantastic. I was dragged to see Take That a couple of years ago, Rick was the support and for me he stole the show completely.

re Rick Astley while the overall performance was great, to my old ears anyway his voice does occasionally lack the smooth effortless quality of others. He hits the notes ok but just not quite bright enough is the best I can describe it. Just my opinion, got nothing against the bloke otherwise. 

2 minutes ago, Cliff Edge said:

re Rick Astley while the overall performance was great, to my old ears anyway his voice does occasionally lack the smooth effortless quality of others. He hits the notes ok but just not quite bright enough is the best I can describe it. Just my opinion, got nothing against the bloke otherwise. 

Well, he is 57. Nerves aside, he was really good last year- both on NYE and at Glasto (he did lots of festivals too, as my facebook page keeps telling me), and released a new album. He's settled well into middle-aged muso: geetar, drums, singing, having fun with the band and the crowds, unafraid to take the mick out of himself. And he still has really decent hair (git, I started losing mine at 15). His band were all good.

I watched some of the Hootenanny. Let me guess: was Rowland Rivron on again? Jo Brand perchance? Same old, same old for a lot of it - although some good acts do pop up. I thought the Sugababes phoned it in, was their some extra vocals underneath? I'm glad I missed Rod Stewart. Paul Jones sounded amazing for 80 something.

It warmed my heart a bit to see Paul Jones to be honest. He was a fave of my mum, who passed away a couple of years ago. It's the little things like this that light up a little corner in my mind, memories of mum. I am a musician because of my mum.

• Like 5

7 hours ago, casapete said:

I thought so too, the bass player and the drummer were spot on.

The Sugababes vocals were also excellent, although I couldn’t help wondering if

they were being ‘helped’ in places? 

I don't mind their vocals, but I've never thought any of them were particularly strong singers. They've gotten a bit better over the years, but it's all still a bit bland.

19 hours ago, asingardenof said:

I don't mind their vocals, but I've never thought any of them were particularly strong singers. They've gotten a bit better over the years, but it's all still a bit bland.

For me the Sugarbabes are a relatively small amount of talent driven forward by excellent production standards and marketing. Hey, I've just described most pop music ...

Nothing wrong with that of course, and I say good luck to anyone who tries to achieve success in music, and well done to anyone who does.

In all fairness I think they do write most of their songs??