Why become a member? ×

Grade 7 level metal

SteveXFR

The offspring (my daughter, not the terrible pop punkers) is working on a uni audition and needs a few grade 7 recordings and she wants one of them to be a metal piece to show what she loves most. 

Any suggestions for interesting, preferably not prog metal bass lines?

Edit :

needs to be 4 string and preferably not involve tuning below C#

Edited by SteveXFR

I teach on a BA Popular Music course. I don't teach on the performance modules but I did audition a couple of the bass students last year. One did Dream Theater’s 6 o'clock which I was very impressed by. Another student did Run for Hills by Iron Maiden. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, ambient said:

I teach on a BA Popular Music course. I don't teach on the performance modules but I did audition a couple of the bass students last year. One did Dream Theater’s 6 o'clock which I was very impressed by. Another student did Run for Hills by Iron Maiden. 

She's applying for a commercial music course. 

I think Dream Theater might be a bit too prog. The audition is supposed to reflect what the applicants most enjoy. 

Maiden is good though 

17 minutes ago, binky_bass said:

I did a similar audition prior to getting accepted into Bath Spa Uni YEARS ago. I played Stu Hamm's tap rendition of Moonligh Sonata by Beethoven. Always good to do something that makes you stand out! Best of luck to her, I'm sure she'll nail it. 👍 

It's Bath Spa she's applying to, the commercial music course. 

She was going to go with Orion by Metallica or Hysteria by Muse but thought they've probably heard those dozens of times so wanted to play something different. My suggestion was Maxwell Murders by Rancid but she says it's too Ska to show what she wants to do. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, SteveXFR said:

It's Bath Spa she's applying to, the commercial music course. 

She was going to go with Orion by Metallica or Hysteria by Muse but thought they've probably heard those dozens of times so wanted to play something different. My suggestion was Maxwell Murders by Rancid but she says it's too Ska to show what she wants to do. 

Same course as me then! Though I went some 18-19 years ago. 

Maxwell Murder is a very challenging piece to play... if she's capable of playing that then she's already well ahead of the pack!

Going slightly off-piste has its risks, but if you can play something new, different or in a style that they've rarely come across then you'll be afforded more room for error! 

Also, if you've not been yet, the grounds of Bath Spa University are absolutely fantastic, the lake, the castle ruins, the rare trees and foliage. Plus Bath is a great city. My halls were 'Hiscocks', small rooms but it did the job. Fingers crossed she'll get it. Joe Bennent, who was course leader in my time, but I believe is now Professor of Popular Music, is a really good guy too. He had a killer 1960 something Paisley strat he brought out a few times. 

Edited by binky_bass
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, binky_bass said:

Going slightly off-piste has its risks, but if you can play something new, different or in a style that they've rarely come across then you'll be afforded more room for error! 

Oh then how would this fare?

Rather fun piece to play!

12 minutes ago, binky_bass said:

Same course as me then! Though I went some 18-19 years ago. 

Maxwell Murder is a very challenging piece to play... if she's capable of playing that then she's already well ahead of the pack!

Also, if you've not been yet, the grounds of Bath Spa University are absolutely fantastic, the lake, the castle ruins, the rare trees and foliage. Plus Bath is a great city. My halls were 'Hiscocks', small rooms but it did the job. Fingers crossed she'll get it. Joe Bennent, who was course leader in my time, but I believe is now Professor of Popular Music, is a really good guy too. He had a killer 1960 something Paisley strat he brought out a few times. 

It's a different professor now, I forget his name but he was in quite a successful 90's rock band. We visited last month and its a beautiful place and the facilities are amazing. We left with me wanting to sign up!

We live in Frome, not far from Bath so we know the city.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, SteveXFR said:

The offspring (my daughter, not the terrible pop punkers) is working on a uni audition and needs a few grade 7 recordings and she wants one of them to be a metal piece to show what she loves most. 

Any suggestions for interesting, preferably not prog metal bass lines?

Edit :

needs to be 4 string and preferably not involve tuning below C#

According to the examining board:

GRADE 7

STEVE VAI The Crying Machine

MUSE Hysteria

BLACK SABBATH N.I.B.

LEVEL 42 The Sun Goes Down

GREEN DAY Welcome to Paradise

KATE BUSH Babooshka

RED HOT CHILI PEPPERS Higher Ground

THE JACKSON SISTERS I Believe In Miracles

IRON MAIDEN Phantom Of The Opera (TF)

TOOL Schism*

STEVIE WONDER Sir Duke

RUSH The Spirit Of Radio

KAJAGOOGOO Too Shy (TF)

FRANKIE GOES TO HOLLYWOOD Two Tribes (TF)

https://www.trinityrock.com/instruments/bass/grade7

• Like 3

9 hours ago, MacDaddy said:

According to the examining board:

GRADE 7

STEVE VAI The Crying Machine

MUSE Hysteria

BLACK SABBATH N.I.B.

LEVEL 42 The Sun Goes Down

GREEN DAY Welcome to Paradise

KATE BUSH Babooshka

RED HOT CHILI PEPPERS Higher Ground

THE JACKSON SISTERS I Believe In Miracles

IRON MAIDEN Phantom Of The Opera (TF)

TOOL Schism*

STEVIE WONDER Sir Duke

RUSH The Spirit Of Radio

KAJAGOOGOO Too Shy (TF)

FRANKIE GOES TO HOLLYWOOD Two Tribes (TF)

https://www.trinityrock.com/instruments/bass/grade7

Thanks. 

I'm surprised there's a couple on there I can play. I've never done grades and kind of assumed grade 7 was much higher than I could play. 

Excuse me for my ignorance and not being of much help to OP, but what the hell does "Grade 7 Level Metal" mean, and how do you measure it?

Also how many Grades are there?

360?

With Grade 360 being the same as Grade 1, coming full circle?

What is even a Grade 1 song, 2 chords only picking 1/4 root notes?

Sounds silly to me.

Edited by Baloney Balderdash