Why become a member? ×

Decent budget P pickup?

lemmywinks

My daughter is starting lessons soon and wil be using her old Tanglewood Elfin 30" bass I bought her a while ago, it's decent enough and is a good size for her but the pickup is weedy - low output and lacking decent bottom end.

Is there a decent low cost upgrade, sorta up to £30 ish? The bass itself is worth about £50-£60

Seen Wilkinson, Tonerider, Entwistle etc but I'm not a P bass guy and don't know what's what really. The last P pickup upgrade I did was back in the Sue Ryder days!

I stuck one in a Harley Benton PB Shorty and it is a little monster now.  I mean, it was OK before but that pickup has given it the balls the stock pup was lacking.  It's been said before but worth repeating that the Tonerider sounds almost exactly like the Fender CS'62 Pickup but considerably cheaper.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, stevie said:

So what's the difference? The Warmans are surprisingly inexpensive.

The Warman split coil Ps have ceramic magnets.

Now I'm by no means a magnet snob, Josi's Jazzbar and Drivetrain both use ceramic mags and I'm happy with those in a couple of basses; it's just I find ceramic a bit too bright for my taste in a P-bass.

Alnico Toneriders fit my idea of a P-bass better 👍

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, PaulThePlug said:

Got a Tonerider in my SR300 Passive P... Great Tone and Authority...20231122_121810.thumb.jpg.7a111aee974e18d2ca0a82f6f2bef87e.jpg

Might i suggest a look at the wiring, cap value... 47uf... and pots?

If ya got a spare £5 i cannot rate the Pure Tone Jack sockets highly enough.

I'll be redoing the wiring at the same time, got a box full of random pots and caps so I should be able to conjure up a P bass harness.

• Like 1