Why become a member? ×

What is wrong with me?

Dankology

30 minutes ago, Dankology said:

I bought a new bass this week, it hasn't even arrived yet... And yet as soon as I log in to Basschat, I find I've navigated straight to basses for sale.

Surely this is not the behaviour of a sane man.

Sounds like perfectly normal behaviour to me

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Delberthot said:

In the past I would go through basses so quickly that some basses wouldn't even make it as far as their first gig before I had sold them and bought something else

That was me in lockdown! Fooling myself that I could buy wrecks on eBay and make them either usable or turn for a profit. I have neither the skill, tools, time or patience to do this. But I am a sucker for an 80s Japanese bass.

Second hand instruments tend to keep their value and keep pace (or in some cases ) outpace inflation. A decent buy won’t leave you much out of pocket even with a short turnaround. I guess the question is will the hunt and purchase bring you more pleasure than a couple of pints or a take away?

Since birth, you've been programmed to think that consuming goods is the path to happiness and contentment. It isn't, of course, but every advertisement you're subjected to is telling you that life will be better with more stuff in your life. If it wasn't a bass, you'd be looking at cars, mobile phones, TVs, washing detergent, meat or whatever. 

When you feel the irrational urge to buy more stuff, try to understand what it is you're unsatisfied with which is causing this feeling of needing to buy something which you already know won't kill the craving.

Play more, buy less.

2 hours ago, Doctor J said:

Since birth, you've been programmed to think that consuming goods is the path to happiness and contentment. It isn't, of course, but every advertisement you're subjected to is telling you that life will be better with more stuff in your life. If it wasn't a bass, you'd be looking at cars, mobile phones, TVs, washing detergent, meat or whatever. 

When you feel the irrational urge to buy more stuff, try to understand what it is you're unsatisfied with which is causing this feeling of needing to buy something which you already know won't kill the craving.

Play more, buy less.

It seems very bass (or guitar) specific for me: I still own my very first car, while my daily driver is fallng apart at the seams; I've just had to be bullied into replacing my phone as it hasn't been charging properly for over a year... In almost every other way I seem to have an unerring policy of buying carefully and holding onto stuff until it's absolutely worn out. I do seem to buy a lot of meat though.

I think musical instruments tick a lot of boxes for even the non-pathological consumer: pretty, infinite variation in terms of appearance, real or imagined tonal differences, investement/heirloom potential etc... No doubt frivolous consumers of every bent could make similar justifications....

• Like 1