Why become a member? ×

GAK Question

fragility

Hi,

I'm currently GASing for a Warwick thumb bolt on and looking to demo one. I phoned GAK today but they said they didn't have any in stock, but I'm just a bit conufsed as to whether that applies to both the mail order and shop, or just the mail order.

Does anyone have any ideas...or has anyone been into the GAK store lately who might have seen a Thumb BO there (or anywhere else in the south) ?

Thanks!

[quote name='fragility' post='483905' date='May 9 2009, 06:31 PM']Hi,

I'm currently GASing for a Warwick thumb bolt on and looking to demo one. I phoned GAK today but they said they didn't have any in stock, but I'm just a bit conufsed as to whether that applies to both the mail order and shop, or just the mail order.

Does anyone have any ideas...or has anyone been into the GAK store lately who might have seen a Thumb BO there (or anywhere else in the south) ?

Thanks![/quote]

GAK do that quite alot. They put great prices up on their web site but when you enquire they don't have it in stock. Having said that they usually can get stuff quite quickly. The Brighton shop is a separate entity to their online shop. They will check the "shop" stock if you ask them to however.

I was there (at their shop) a few months ago and I do recall that they have a large selection of Warwicks, so they might have a Thumb BO. Worth a phone call to see if they have.

Not much help I guess....

[quote name='urban Bassman' post='483923' date='May 9 2009, 06:52 PM']The Brighton shop is a separate entity to their online shop. They will check the "shop" stock if you ask them to however.[/quote]

They claim they're separate -- but walk in to the shop and ask for something featured online and it magically appears. And ask them to match the online price and they'll wheel out the old 'we're separate' line, then match it. Or beat it, as once happened.

Sorry, slightly OT.

Cheers

Mark

My guitarist has lost patience with GAK and the old "it's out of stock right now,can you wait 6 weeks..." type stuff.

Makes you wish you went to a proper Musical instrument retailer dosent it......

..But we didnt...and its closed down.

GAK have always been OK with me, but I did buy a Roland D-Bass combo from an online company called Rocking Rooster. The amp was shown in stock and I paid for it online there and then. The next day I recieved a phone call from them stating it would be at least 8 weeks before they would get the amp from Roland as they were out of stock due to the popularity of the product. Once I'd said on yer bike I want my money back, they offered me various simillar amps as an alternative. Needless to say, I declined and got my money back.

Buying strings and parts online is great, but buying anything more substantial and valuable always makes me nervous.

I ordered and paid for something from the online store a month or so ago. A couple of days later I had an email saying that it had been sent.
A few days went by and I hadn't recieved it so I contacted them, only to be told that it was out of stock and it would be about 3 weeks before it would back in. So go figure that one out, they did give me a refund though, but why say it had been posted ?

[quote name='fragility' post='483905' date='May 9 2009, 06:31 PM']Hi,

Thanks![/quote]

I deal with these a lot...unfortunatly they seem a little dumb in the fact that other online shops actually put stock count for you to see.
They do however get stuff in quickly but it depends.
They never did get back to me about the Fender Urge II I wanted though...

I got some studio monitors from them. The packaging looked a bit grotty but they work fine. Could have returned them, guy on the phone was very helpful, but no need.

The only problem was, they were delivered when I wasn't in, so I had to pick them up from the delivery depot, which was 10 miles away.

They still work fine, and were a great price.

The warehouse is down the road from the shop a little way.

They can (and used to without too much hastle) go and get stuff from the warehouse into the shop.

That doesnt go the other way though (obviously really)

Their website as an online store not having a stock quantity is pretty lame for a retailer their size. But that kind of thing requiresa a level of warehouse competence, prcedure and software that I dont see them getting into anytime soon to be honest.

The shop has always stocked a gazillion Warwicks, the chances are that they will have a BO T in there.

Phone the shop before a visit to check, ask for Mark (he posts on here sometimes, nice fella).

Thanks everyone for the replies, I was a little sceptical about GAK before I went down there based on various comments but I got there and fell completely in love with the Thumb BO fretless 5 they had in there and walked away with it (hance why I've been far too busy this week to reply). The staff couldn't have been more helpful :)

[quote name='fragility' post='488449' date='May 15 2009, 07:41 AM']The staff couldn't have been more helpful :)[/quote]

You must have been there on a good day. I was in there today and all the guy in the bass section seemed to want to do was get back to listening to whatever music he was playing on the computer.

GAK are pretty awful in my experience. They won't tell you when something is out of stock, so i've ended up waiting 3 or 4 months for stuff before so they could order it from the manufacturer, same thing happened to a friend of mine about 3 times with different guitar cabs. I think he ended up going on ebay.

Pix of the thumb though :)

Edited by budget bassist

I've only once had an issue with GAK and that was when I went into the acoustics section of the shop with £400 in my pocket and could very easily have been sold an acoustic bass guitar if the guy could have been bothered to get out of his chair and leave his computer. I bought one on ebay instead.

Other than that I've always found Mark (and before him Graeme) in the bass section nothing but helpful and friendly and I've always found the final price acceptable given that I can actually test things out before I buy. If the price doesn't meet your approval, don't buy it. My son has tried countless guitars and amps in there without hassle and has only ever bought one of each.

Mail-order GAK ordered a Gibson guitar for me without taking a deposit as they knew it would take several months. I paid in full only when it actually arrived.