Why become a member? ×

Most used phrases/questions/replies on BC

roger

Thus in contemporary quantum theory it seems that the world must be divided into a wavy "quantum system," and a remainder which is in some sense "classical." The division is made one way or another, in a particular application, according to the degree of accuracy and completeness aimed at. For me it is the indispensability, and above all the shiftiness, of such a division that is the big surprise of quantum mechanics. It introduces an essential ambiguity into fundamental physical theory, if only at a level of accuracy and completeness beyond any required in practice. It is the toleration of such an ambiguity, not merely provisionally but permanently, and at the most fundamental level, that is the real break with the classical ideal. It is this rather than the failure of any particular concept such as "particle" or "determinism." In the remainder of this essay I will outline a number of world views with physicists have entertained in trying to digest this situation.

Drives me effin' mental that one.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, SumOne said:

True, it is said a lot, but that's basically because that is the main reason to have/not have a 5, so I think is perfectly reasonable reason to sell a 5 (a bit unnecessary to mention when selling though I suppose). 

It's the main reason that people who have bought a 5-string and not found the main reason for having a 5-string have for selling it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Frank Blank said:

Thus in contemporary quantum theory it seems that the world must be divided into a wavy "quantum system," and a remainder which is in some sense "classical." The division is made one way or another, in a particular application, according to the degree of accuracy and completeness aimed at. For me it is the indispensability, and above all the shiftiness, of such a division that is the big surprise of quantum mechanics. It introduces an essential ambiguity into fundamental physical theory, if only at a level of accuracy and completeness beyond any required in practice. It is the toleration of such an ambiguity, not merely provisionally but permanently, and at the most fundamental level, that is the real break with the classical ideal. It is this rather than the failure of any particular concept such as "particle" or "determinism." In the remainder of this essay I will outline a number of world views with physicists have entertained in trying to digest this situation.

I can see your point here, you have to think in both a classic, almost Newtonian way of thinking and then at the same time switch your brain almost through 180 degrees into Niels Bohr mode, depending on exactly how you wish to examine the world.

I have the same issue every time I buy a guitar, I think classically, "Can I afford it?" and then I shift into the Quantum mode of uncertainty, "Will my other half find out about it?". We can also consider Shrodinger here, his classic "Is the cat in the box dead or alive" experiment, can be rewritten to "If my other half doesn't know about the new guitar, does it even exist for her?" or more simply "If she finds out, will she kill me?", basically I am alive and dead at the same time fulfilling Shrodingers axioms.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, tauzero said:

It's the main reason that people who have bought a 5-string and not found the main reason for having a 5-string have for selling it.

Nailed it. There are two or three songs in my two bands' combined repertoire that actually need notes below bottom E, but I could never go back to a four-string now - I'd have to re-learn the fingering for well over a hundred songs.

On 23/11/2023 at 19:54, Frank Blank said:

I love it....it's like opening the Haynes Manual for the Universe and finding it was written by Lewis Carrol :)

11 hours ago, EssentialTension said:

Even smugger is the very rare IATL.

10 hours ago, upside downer said:

Institute for Advanced Teaching and Learning? International Asbestos Testing Laboratories? Eh?

I also thought about that. It could also mean: I Am The Law ;)