Why become a member? ×

You have to spend £300 on effects pedals for tonight's gig…

max_overdrive

Sometimes I go to rehearsals with some bass, a tuner in the bass bag, and cables. Then I try to make the bass sound different simply with my fingers. Singing, long motes, thumpy short ones. Once I went to a fun gig and the bass had only ON/OFF switch, so I had to play everywhere around the bass to get different sounds. Try it, you'll like it.

• Like 5

I can, and usually do gig without FX. 

Recently I've added a Boss CE-B3 Chorus and a Boss BD-2 Blues Driver, but they're nice to have and wouldn't stop the gig.

I also have an always on Keeley Bassist compressor and a Korg Tuner. 

If the pedals were left at home - I'd carry on and save the money. If they were actually lost or stolen then I would at least replace the compressor and the Korg tuner. 

I have a £10 tuner in my gig bag. 

• Like 2

19 hours ago, itu said:

Sometimes I go to rehearsals with some bass, a tuner in the bass bag, and cables. Then I try to make the bass sound different simply with my fingers. Singing, long motes, thumpy short ones. Once I went to a fun gig and the bass had only ON/OFF switch, so I had to play everywhere around the bass to get different sounds. Try it, you'll like it.

I would be impressed if you by only using your fingers could make your bass sound like fuzz, a phaser, envelope filter or synth e.t.c.

Sometimes the effects are crucial for what is played, being more a case of actually playing the effects, as if they were instruments in their own regards, rather than merely adding a flavor or spicing up your bass tone.

Edited by Baloney Balderdash
  • Like 3

47 minutes ago, Baloney Balderdash said:

Sometimes the effects are crucial for what is played, being more a case of actually playing the effects, as if they were instruments in their own regards, rather than merely adding a flavor or spicing up your bass tone.

Yes. The chorus pedal is great once it's dialled in with the rest of the band and played on the right section of a tune. Problem is FXs can become 'the sound' and I find the nuances of the notes being played get lost. And then it stops being a bass guitar and is something else. Which is great if that's what's needed. 

But that's a thread derail. I think the point is £300 can get you some quick cheap get out of a hole. But wouldn't stretch to 3 high quality new pedals. 

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, TimR said:

Yes. The chorus pedal is great once it's dialled in with the rest of the band and played on the right section of a tune. Problem is FXs can become 'the sound' and I find the nuances of the notes being played get lost. And then it stops being a bass guitar and is something else. Which is great if that's what's needed. 

But that's a thread derail. I think the point is £300 can get you some quick cheap get out of a hole. But wouldn't stretch to 3 high quality new pedals. 

It was you who started debating and arguing whether effects are needed or not, starting this "derail" as you chose to call it.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Baloney Balderdash said:

I would be impressed if you by only using your fingers could make your bass sound like fuzz, a phaser, envelope filter or synth e.t.c.

True. And I really get your point. I do have three fx boards, individual pedals, and rack effects among others.

But in a case, where fx break for any reason, there's always the possibility to use what you got: amp can be overdriven (at least mine can), eq is there... and your fingers.

I am not a soloist. My sound is just one part of the equation, and band mates can help in a case of an equipment failure.

• Like 3

• 2 months later...
On 07/11/2023 at 13:40, Jean-Luc Pickguard said:

I'd get a Boss BC-1X Bass Comp and a Boss BB-1X Bass Driver — which are coincidentally the latest additions to my pedalboard.

How do you rate these two pedals together ?

Ive got the BC-1X and just ordered the BB-1X to run after it 

• Like 1

Great thread! Thank you for the idea @max_overdrive .

I'd buy a Joyo Scylla Compressor for about £50. It's relatively cheap and thoroughly effective. 

The JPTR Jive is around £100 depending on where you buy it. So that's my 'always on' pedals sorted and half the budget gone. Need to be cost conscious now.

Behringer UO300 for my octave needs, £25.

Demon FX now come to the fore. Angel Blue drive which is based on something called the Timmy V2 and costs £25, Pearl White Autowah £35, Mini Chorus £38. 

Left with £27 and still no phaser or flanger it's Harley Benton to the rescue, their Classic Flanger is £26.

A pedal array I'd be more than happy to gig with.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, SH73 said:

I'd get Tech21 Steve Harris Sig to see if it's as good as the reviews say. Wish shops let you take one home for a week and try?

Given you don't break it and keep the box intact Thomann will let you try it out for 30 days (and the 30 days actually counts all the way up till the day you post it), and they'll pay for the shipping back.

Full refund of the cost of the pedal, and no questions asked.

It would cost you the initial shipping Thomann charges to have it send to you though (or actually I think that pedal costs beyond the minimum amount that gives you free shipping), and you would have the inconvenience of having to pack and post it back. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Baloney Balderdash said:

Given you don't break it and keep the box intact Thomann will let you try it out for 30 days (and the 30 days actually counts all the way up till the day you post it), and they'll pay for the shipping back.

It would cost you the initial shipping Thomann charges to have it send to you though (or actually I think that pedal costs beyond the minimum amount that gives you free shipping), and you would have the inconvenience of having to pack and post it back. 

Any on-line shop will do the same, not just Thomann; it's part of the distance-selling regulations in the UK. Returns are sometimes at the charge of the Buyer, though, if the unit is not faulty. B|

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

^^ 

The trouble with Thomann orders/returns to the UK is a recent order took 8 days to get to me (mostly due to customs delays). And I sent it back for a refund 17 days ago and have yet to get the money refunded (again, this seems due to customs). But yeah, it is free to return, which places like Andertons don't do, I think they quite cheekily try to charge you £20 for them to arrange courier collection for return,  seems a bit of an earner for them when you're trying to return something that hasn't lived up to expectations.

£300 on a pedal for me would go on a Boss RE 202, it'd probably be a bit useless with Bass, good for dubbing up everything else though. 

Edited by SumOne
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Baloney Balderdash said:

1 hour ago, Dad3353 said:

Any on-line shop will do the same, not just Thomann; it's part of the distance-selling regulations in the UK. Returns are sometimes at the charge of the Buyer, though, if the unit is not faulty. B|

My only concern is, what do they do with the returned products, resale? I know Amazon tends to bin some perfectly new returned item.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, SH73 said:

My only concern is, what do they do with the returned products, resale? I know Amazon tends to bin some perfectly new returned item.

Probably depends on the value. Most, I believe, are offered as 'second-hand'; speaking for Amazon, it's usually the first option I look for when buying stuff from them. Of all I've received bought as 'second-hand' have been perfectly serviceable, often with simply a split corner of the packaging. The keyboard I'm typing on, as well as the track-ball I use, were acquired in this way, among many other purchases. I suppose if an item is returned severely damaged in any way, it would be binned, or sent to a 'job lot' centre for treatment if the value justified it. Hope this helps. :friends:

Edited by Dad3353
  • Like 2

41 minutes ago, SH73 said:

At Thomann they are sold as "B-Stock" products at a slightly reduced price, depending.

And all returned items goes through testing to check that they work as they are supposed to.

• Like 3