Why become a member? ×

Noobie here been offered this (see below)

The Attic Man

Just now, Geek99 said:

Smart man. All the best people love tortoiseshell. Be careful that an encore pickguard may be slightly different shape than a fender compatible one. There are people who make them to order. The topic comes up on here quite often 

😆😆👍 thank you and ideally I love seafood green I think that's the name of the colour I've seen it's that light pastel green. But beggars can't be choosers 😆 but then again who is to say I may sand it down and repaint it 🤔  one day.

I shall look into that about the scratch guard cheers. 

Def. keep the Encore. 

What I would consider doing in your situation, assuming you have any DIY skills whatsoever, is very carefully dismantle it.  Keeping note of where everything went with lots of pictures or diagrams at every stage.  Take your time.  See how it all comes apart, which bits are connected to whic other bits.  Gives you the opportunity to give it all a damned good clean.  Put it back together.  Precision basses are pretty straightforward and you'll learn tons doing it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, The Attic Man said:

😆😆👍 thank you and ideally I love seafood green I think that's the name of the colour I've seen it's that light pastel green. But beggars can't be choosers 😆 but then again who is to say I may sand it down and repaint it 🤔  one day.

I shall look into that about the scratch guard cheers. 

Sea foam green possibly ? Close though 

this https://www.gak.co.uk/en/fender-player-stratocaster-sea-foam-green/961825?gclsrc=aw.ds&&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI1ZGtp96qggMVxd7tCh2NCwM8EAQYASABEgK75PD_BwE

note that leo fender originally used only car paint colours made by Du pont - that’s why some of the names are a touch esoteric 

Edited by Geek99
  • Haha 1

46 minutes ago, Geek99 said:

Sea foam green possibly ? Close though 

this https://www.gak.co.uk/en/fender-player-stratocaster-sea-foam-green/961825?gclsrc=aw.ds&&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI1ZGtp96qggMVxd7tCh2NCwM8EAQYASABEgK75PD_BwE

note that leo fender originally used only car paint colours made by Du pont - that’s why some of the names are a touch esoteric 

Oh my just spotted that òh I feel so embarrassed bloody predictive text  can't believe it put seafood green maybe I should invent it 😅 

• Haha 3

Welcome to BC and all things bass!

I moved from playing ukulele to playing bass ukulele (still do) and then bass guiitar.

My first bass I really enjoyed (even tho not a blinder!), it was not too expensive and that allowed me to just fiddle with setting it up, and then making all sorts of mods without worrying I was going to damage an expensive instrument; it's not too hard especially with the wealth of videos/articles on-line.

A google search shows that £50 is less than you'd spend on either of the items individually (used) so a real bargain I'd say.  I suspect you'd be able to sell them on in the future without much financial hit.

And as to trying out other basses, there is the SE bass bash next Sunday (Addlestone) where you will be most welcome and able to play many (many) different instruments as well as chat to loads of bass heads.

S'manth x

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Attic Man said:

Thank you so much 👍  and very much appreciated.  Yeah that is my thoughts. The money I save buying the encore I can pay for a set up and hunt around for a pick up I'd love to change the pick guard to would love a tortoise shell effect one 😆 I know it doesn't help the sound but I love tortoise shell 

1 hour ago, Geek99 said:

Smart man. All the best people love tortoiseshell. Be careful that an encore pickguard may be slightly different shape than a fender compatible one. There are people who make them to order. The topic comes up on here quite often 

edit : @The Attic Man here you go 

I think I have a tort pickguard that came off my Aria STB precision (another excellent budget bass) in a drawer somewhere. Let me dig it out and try it on my Encore, if it fits then it's yours. 

A quick polish, oil the fretboard and a tort PG and your Encore will be a lovely looking bass. 

• Like 2

100 budget? Buy the bass and amp.

Are the strings flats (smooth) or rounds. If the former, they last ages. If roundwound, spend your change on a set of decent strings, strap, a cheap stand and a good quality lead.

Where are you? Someone from basschat will probably be happy to help you do a bcasic setup.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Maude said:

I think I have a tort pickguard that came off my Aria STB precision (another excellent budget bass) in a drawer somewhere. Let me dig it out and try it on my Encore, if it fits then it's yours. 

A quick polish, oil the fretboard and a tort PG and your Encore will be a lovely looking bass. 

Oh maude I'm really touched thank you. I can't believe how awesome the people on here are. I'm blown away.yeah I think I will stick with this bass I'm playing it every day and it deffo needs some tlc. Once again thank you 😊 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stub Mandrel said:

Are the strings flats (smooth) or rounds. If the former, they last ages. If roundwound, spend your change on a set of decent strings, strap, a cheap stand and a good quality lead.

Where are you? Someone from basschat will probably be happy to help you do a bcasic setup.

3 hours ago, Smanth said:

Welcome to BC and all things bass!

I moved from playing ukulele to playing bass ukulele (still do) and then bass guiitar.

My first bass I really enjoyed (even tho not a blinder!), it was not too expensive and that allowed me to just fiddle with setting it up, and then making all sorts of mods without worrying I was going to damage an expensive instrument; it's not too hard especially with the wealth of videos/articles on-line.

A google search shows that £50 is less than you'd spend on either of the items individually (used) so a real bargain I'd say.  I suspect you'd be able to sell them on in the future without much financial hit.

And as to trying out other basses, there is the SE bass bash next Sunday (Addlestone) where you will be most welcome and able to play many (many) different instruments as well as chat to loads of bass heads.

S'manth x

Hi S'manth thanks for the warm welcome. Yes I've neglected my ukes of late. I should dust them down and have a play. I'm really enjoying the bass.

Oh that get together looks fantastic bit far for me unfortunately. But hopefully I can attend something in the future. I know when I started out on ukulele meeting others and those more experienced really helped.

Once again many thanks 😊 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Stub Mandrel said:

They are definitely rounds. Yeah once I've paid for it strings are the next purchase for me. The chap at work is being really kind said I don't have to pay for it until the new year . He said get Xmas out the way first. I'm deffo leaning towards buying it.

• Like 2

I started playing on a vintage Kay bass I bought for £15. It was good enough to gig on, and I sold it for a profit (rare in my experience!).

I’ve had a clear out of stuff, and happy to send you a few bits that might help, including a lead, strap and whatever else I can find in my box of stuff. Just send me your addrsss.

1 hour ago, Burns-bass said:

I started playing on a vintage Kay bass I bought for £15. It was good enough to gig on, and I sold it for a profit (rare in my experience!).

I’ve had a clear out of stuff, and happy to send you a few bits that might help, including a lead, strap and whatever else I can find in my box of stuff. Just send me your addrsss.

Wow thank you.im blown away by the kindness on here what a wonderful community this is and I'm so glad I found it 😊 

If you like the bass then get it along with the amp for that money. Those Encore basses are usually good quality even though budget end kit. Not sure why so intent on pickup change at this stage. Get it checked over and setup to your preference eg string height / neck relief / nut slotting etc. That will be of more benefit for a new player. Include new strings. Good Luck.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

agree I’d focus on set up… a BC member near you can probably help

if you’re new you won’t really know what you’re looking for in a new pickup 

if the setup isn’t great you’ll be fighting the instrument when things could be much smoother 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

In my experience, The Di Marzio Dp122 or Seymour Duncan SBP-3 1/4 Pounder are the only 2 P-bass pickups that I found made a real difference as replacement pickups. Both are great, but as I mentioned earlier the one already in the bass is more than acceptable and most replacements won't "sound" any better.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, The Attic Man said:

@Stub Mandrel im really blown away how awesome you all are.

I'm in east herts. Sawbridgeworth not far from stansted airport. Yes i could definitely do with some help 😉😂

You’re not too far from the bass gallery in Camden. A setup and fret dress with new strings is worth a lot more than new pickups, especially on a budget bass that won’t have been through rigorous QC when it left the factory. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, OliverBlackman said:

You’re not too far from the bass gallery in Camden. A setup and fret dress with new strings is worth a lot more than new pickups, especially on a budget bass that won’t have been through rigorous QC when it left the factory. 

Oh wow will have to check that out. Although i try my hardest to stay out of London.  I'm a country boy 😆

But I will loom into that cheers. Yeah I will put aside changing the pick ups as advised by you lovely lot