Why become a member? ×

TV ads - classic pop

diskwave

1 hour ago, Doctor J said:

Is the answer you're looking for that modern pop is largely unmemorable, repetitive sheeeeeiiiiite with no discernible sense of melody and it's hard to sell fast food or insurance over monotonous, monosyllabic self-pity/self-aggrandising?

There is that. There is also the UK TV audience demographic with over 65s watching the most. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Mykesbass said:

Also, a little Googling led me to see that Chas Hodges played organ on the track!

Hee hee. As I'm sure you know, Memphis born Charles Hodges was the organist on the Al Green original.

His brother guitarist Mabon Hodges co-wrote the song with Al Green.

(Ain't Wikipedia a wonderful thing?...)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, casapete said:

Hee hee. As I'm sure you know, Memphis born Charles Hodges was the organist on the Al Green original.

His brother guitarist Mabon Hodges co-wrote the song with Al Green.

(Ain't Wikipedia a wonderful thing?...)

Ah, no!!! I know Chas had a great musical pedigree (Labi Siffre/Eminem, the Outlaws with Ritchie Blackmore), thought I'd found one to top them all! Oh well, I've still got the claim to fame of buying him and Dave several pints of Guinness (on expenses) many moons ago.

17 hours ago, tauzero said:

"All Right Now" was used in a Wrigleys advert IIRC. In current adverts, "I can't see me loving nobody but you" is in use in one (showing how effective it is, I have absolutely no idea which advert).

I fail to recall what most adverts are about immediately after they finish. Murray mints, too good to hurry mints. Now that was a class act I’ll never forget. 

Edited by Cliff Edge

From what I remember, the trend of using ‘classic’ tunes was popularised by Levi Strauss in the 1980’s for

the promotion of their ‘classic’ 501 jeans. First few songs were Marvin Gaye’s ‘I heard it through the grapevine’,

Sam Cooke’s ‘Wonderful world’ and Percy Sledge’s ‘When a man loves a woman’. Am sure they later used

’Should I stay or should I go’ by The Clash and ‘ The Joker’ by Steve Miller too. 

Other tunes from ads that spring to mind -

‘Young at heart’ - The Bluebells ( a car advert?)

‘I just wanna make love to you’ - Etta James ( Diet Coke)

’I’d like to teach the world to sing’ - New Seekers (Coca Cola) - not sure if that was written for the advert though!