Why become a member? ×

Your string choices over time

deepbass5

I've never given this subject enough thought, and I'm not one to try out many types of string or to find the set that matches a particular bass best. I've had a liking for Elixir Nanoweb strings for many years and have used them almost exclusively on everything for the last 10 years, with a few notable exceptions:

• When I bought my Ibanez RS924 used, it came with two spare sets of Warwick Red Label 040-095 sets and they worked really well on that bass - and stayed crisp for a remarkably long time. I stuck with them on that bass until I sold it two years ago, and have never bothered putting the Red Labels on any of my other basses. 
  • On my headless Status basses (and the Hohner B2A that I had briefly) I use Status Hotwire double ball strings, stainless steel 045-105 on the 4-string and 040-125 on the 5-string;
  • On my Atelier Z shortscale the previous owner had installed a set of DR Sunbeam 045-105 round core strings and I love the feel and tone. Elixir don't do medium scale or short scale sets, so I think I'll stick with the Sunbeams. I was amazed by the tight feel (and tone!) despite the 30" scale.

Before using Elixirs, I tried several sets on the Yamaha TRB5II I had then. It's had Warwick Black Labels, a very hefty set of Galli strings with a 145 B-string (not recommended for standard tuning on a 35" scale bass! Not doing that again, it was hard work playing it with those strings on it), Ernie Ball, D'Addario... Ever since trying Elixirs, I haven't looked back. 

• Thanks 1

When I started it was always Ernie Balls, the D'addario Prosteels.

I stuck with the Prosteels for years. Then started to experiment with others. Dunlop steels and flats, Ti Flats, Roto flats. EB flats, Dr Hi-Beams steels.

I now have Dunlop Flats on my Sandberg Lionel and Ibby Mezzo 5, and I'm trying some DR Black Beauties on my Sandberg TT4. That's my first go with coated strings on bass, but I do use Elixir Optiwebs on guitar.

I'm not as long into the bass journey as many of you here, however, I have tried quite a few different strings.  I seem to be settling on D'Addario NYXLs, which sound good as soon as they are on and last quite a while.  

I have just put a set of Rotosound Nexus black coated strings on a P bass and they sound really nice, however, after playing about four or five songs with a pick I checked to see if any of the coating had come off and, unfortunately, a tiny bit had come off.  I'm guessing that after several weeks of serious use the coating where I pick would be a bit worse for wear.  I'm not sure if that would make a big difference to the sound.

Fretted:

Late 80's - D'addario Rounds

1990s - 2010: Elite Stadium Rounds

2010 - 2012: Ernie Ball Super Slinky Rounds

2012 - Present: Rotosound 66 Rounds 

Fretless:

2018 - Present: Rotosound 77 Flats/LaBella Low Tension Flats/LaBella Black Nylon Tapewound 

Need to try a set of TI Jazz on one of my fretless basses at some point.

A more serious answer than my original one...

In the pre-internet days your string choices were pretty much limited to whatever you could buy in your local musical instrument shop(s). When I bought my first bass in 1981, if you wanted round wound strings like I did there was no alternative to Rotosound. Even when I was playing guitar the only choice was Rotosound or Ernie Ball.

By the early 90s when I was playing 5-string basses things had improved a bit there was the choice of Rotosound and Elites. Rotosound proved to be incapable of making a 36" scale low B and Elites while not having any obviously duff strings in their sets were always very ordinary, I discovered Newtone who at the time had to be ordered by phone followed by sending a cheque in the post. However they were able to make perfect strings for both my 36" 5-string and my 30" scale 4-string basses. TBH compared with what I had before they were a complete revelation, and if at the time they hadn't been so complicated to order I might never have tried anything else.

At the end of the 90s I then had a break where a played mostly guitar for the next 4 years, and when I bought my next bass I had it fitted with D'Addarios because I liked the guitar strings which was a poor choice, as I really didn't like them, and went back to Elites simply because they were less hassle to buy than Newtones.

Then I discovered on-line bass forums and internet string sellers and went mad trying pretty much anything that was recommended:

DR - tried 4 or 5 different types and hated them all.

SIT - I liked these a lot but was never 100% happy with the low B and they were quite difficult to get hold of.

TI Flats - If I was going to play a bass that required flats again this is what I would fit despite the ridiculous price.

Pedulla - worked great on my Buzz bass but not on anything else I tried.

LaBella - I'd still be using their Hard Rocking Steel strings if they hadn't changed the design, weren't so stupidly expensive and difficult to get hold of in the UK, they also completely discontinued the heavier set that I was using on my passive Gus G3. While they were still good and relatively easy to get hold of they did show me that I preferred a taper-wound low B. I used used their round wound Bass VI strings for a while until I discovered the cheaper, better and easier to get hold of Newtone Axions.

Warwick - I'd be using their Red Label strings if it wasn't for the fact that the taper-wound B sets are seemingly impossible to get hold of. However the appropriate Black Label sets are available (though more expensive, but still only half the price of the LaBellas) so that's what I use on some basses.

So currently I'm using:

Gus G3 5-string passive - Warwick Black Label 45-135.

Gus G3 5-string active - Warwick Black Label 40-130 (for some reason the heavier string work better on the passive bass despite the fact that apart from the electronics the instruments are identical.

Eastwood Hooky 6-string Bass - GHS Hooky set 30-105. These are the strings that are supplied with the bass and so far I've been happy enough with them not to want to try the Newtone Axions on it. However I'm starting to think the highest two strings are a bit heavy for how I play so when I've used up the sets I have, I may order a custom set from Newtone.

Burns Barracuda 6-string Bass - Newtone Axion 24-100, far better than the LaBella round wound Bass VI set for a fraction of the price.

For my guitars I've stuck with D'Addario since I discovered them in the early 90s. They have been great so I've seen no need to experiment with alternatives. Currently I have light top, heavy bottom sets (10-52) on both guitars with the 52 replaced by a 56 on the one I have permanently tuned to drop D.

started with rotos the normal rs66ld set got a set of them with my first bass, when the silk started fraying i decided id stay away from the strings with silk

moved on to the rotobass set in 50-110 gauge when i started down tuning, later tried some rotosound 77s but decided i didnt like how flatwounds felt.

now im just using daddario xls (55-110) as i tune to c# or c and they seem to be the minimum tension i can get away with, i quite like the loose feel but normal medium gauge flops around a little too obnoxiously

• 2 weeks later...

Started with Roto RS66 on my first bass, chewed up the frets and didn't really get on with the feel of them.

My first proper bass was a Warwick and my Dad insisted it had to have Warwick black label strings.

I used NPS rounds for a long time, whilst still not really enjoying the sound on a fretted bass, I tried RS77's and Chromes but didn't get on with them. 

One day I got hold of a cheap 90's Squier P bass put some Status flats on it and loved it, since then I've not used rounds on a fretted bass, I now use La Bella or GHS flats on fretted and NPS rounds on fretless.

When I started playing bass back in '89, I used Rotosound Swing Bass.  I then used Elites Stadium strings for years, I changed back to Rotosound RB45's a couple of years ago.  Then I started using Elites Detroit Flats until I took the financial plunge and got myself a set of La Bella Deep Talkin' Bass 760FS strings.

Now I use La Bella 760FS strings on all my basses. 

I have just bought two sets of Newtone Strings, and I am loving them. Not over bright when fitted, to my ears they have not changed in tone since I fitted the six weeks ago (4 gigs and 2 rehearsals since). They have round cores and seem to have a lower finger noise than most rounds.

• Like 1

I started with steel rounds. Used Rotos for years, then D'Addario ProSteels for years. Changed them regularly back when that was economically viable! Loved the bright zingy snap of steels. Got fed up with them going dull so tried Elixirs but just hated the feel of them, plus back in the day I used to play with a pick most of the time and found my cack-handed technique stripped the poly coating off something chronic! I've never tried flats, and probably never will. So I played D'Addario ProSteels mainly.

Then... for some reason I went through a phase of trying everything and anything. DR steels and nickels (pricey, sounded dead really quickly to my ears). Ernie Ball Slinkys (flat as a pancake by the end of the gig. Hated them!) Ernie Ball cobalt rounds (utterly brilliant, the most aggressive sounding string I've ever played. Loved them but they turned my maple board black and through humbuckers into a cranked GK they were just too much!). D'Addario NYXL (nice... but just too much money). Loads of things.

Finally settled on common-or-garden D'Addario Nickels. Obvs to make life harder / more expensive, went for a gauge where the D and G are 0.05" thicker because less twangy (I'm fooling myself, I know. The audience at the Dog & Hand Shandy can really hear the diff though, obvs). They're not the cheapest going, but I only change about 3 times a year so manageable.

These have been a revelation with my Fender Dimension basses. They just sound soooo good, really well balanced sound and feel across the fretboard. Suit the basses so well I'll never change. I wipe down with a microfibre cloth after playing and they last for ages and ages. Playing through a BB2 cab means I get the clarity without the harsh treble yer can sometimes get from steels.

So that's my journey! Great thread @deepbass5!

Edited by moley6knipe
  • Like 2

23 hours ago, moley6knipe said:

Finally settled on common-or-garden D'Addario Nickels. Obvs to make life harder / more expensive, went for a gauge where the D and G are 0.05" thicker because less twangy (I'm fooling myself, I know.

Interestingly I bought a bass on here earlier in the year and checked the gauge of strings with my micrometer and found they were 50,70, 85, 105  EXL160's  liked them so just changed all 3 of my basses to them. on my 5 strings i bought four string sets and added single 125's on the low end. The Gallery and GAK had them on offer recently, and Bass Direct had the singles on offer. a messy way to buy strings but worked out fine in the end.

My CS p bass keeps its Labella flats though. 

• Like 1

I started on Rotos for a good while, because they were pretty much the only game in (my) town, and I didn't know any better...then DR Sunbeams and HiBeams, and occasionally flats (Chromes) and groundwounds a couple of times on specific basses. Then I discovered Elixirs about ten years ago, and that's been that, apart from a brief flirtation with NYXLs and Slinkys and a couple of others I can't even remember, but they didn't last (SWIDT?), so it's Elixirs all the way now...

17 hours ago, deepbass5 said:

Interestingly I bought a bass on here earlier in the year and checked the gauge of strings with my micrometer and found they were 50,70, 85, 105  EXL160's  liked them so just changed all 3 of my basses to them. on my 5 strings i bought four string sets and added single 125's on the low end. The Gallery and GAK had them on offer recently, and Bass Direct had the singles on offer. a messy way to buy strings but worked out fine in the end.

My CS p bass keeps its Labella flats though. 

Yes, that’s the E to G gauges I’m using, but I’m buying them as 5 string sets with a 135 B. I should look to see if buying them separately is cheaper, never considered that! Best price for the 5 string set is £37.56 from Amazon. I hate using them but £ is £.

I’m never sure whether thicker or thinner B is best really, there’s schools of thought advocating both. To be honest, we only play pubs where the punters have been drinking since opening time, so no-one cares really!

I've recently put a set of Rotosound Nexus black coated strings on a P bass.  I'd had the set for ages, I bought them to try out but was a bit nervous about me picking the coating off.  Reading a bit more it seems it doesn't matter if the coating comes off through picking as the benefits of the coating are gained from in-between the core and the wrap, not the outside.

My first impressions are really positive.  They are matt black with different coloured silks, so that is a plus.  These sounded good brand new; I really don't like the sound of rounds before they are broken in and these don't have that initial glassy brittle top.  The coating feels very slightly sticky.  If you like flats then you might not like this but I don't like the slippery feel from flats and the black coating feels quite grippy.

My initial thoughts then are positive.  Just like my preferred NYXLs, they sound good brand new and I found a few sets for about the same price as the cheapest NYXLs.  So over the next 6-12 months I'm going to be comparing these two different strings on my basses to see if one stands out.

1 hour ago, moley6knipe said:

Yes, that’s the E to G gauges I’m using, but I’m buying them as 5 string sets with a 135 B. I should look to see if buying them separately is cheaper, never considered that! Best price for the 5 string set is £37.56 from Amazon. I hate using them but £ is £.

I’m never sure whether thicker or thinner B is best really, there’s schools of thought advocating both. To be honest, we only play pubs where the punters have been drinking since opening time, so no-one cares really!

A four string set was under £25 and the single B was a£10 inc postage so you are looking at a small saving that is not £££ wise really worth the added agro, but I also wanted to get away from the over heavy B string as a felt the smaller 125 size may be more musical and sit better on the bass, I feel now that this is better and haven't missed the 130 but definitely didn't want to go to a 135. It was a good opportunity to experiment.

• 3 weeks later...

I started off using Picato strings on a short scale bass as they were all the shop had (this was Wales in 1986).

I used Rotosounds as soon as I got a decent bass and used them for many years, though I'm ashamed to admit that I didn't even realise they came in different gauges for a very long time...

Branched out a few years ago to D'Addario NYXLs, and also started experimenting with a secondhand set of Labella Deep Talkin' Bass flats.

So currently I have Labella flats on my P bass, and D'Addario rounds on everything else.

Trying a lot of different brands and gauges throughout the years, though always roundwounds, and, except for a short lived experiment years back with stainless steel roundwounds on my 34" bass, all nickel plated hex steel core, I've concluded that I prefer relatively light gauge, low and approximately balanced tension, and following is what I've have settled for this far:

Bass, all scale lengths, in regular E1 standard tuning: D'Addario XL nickel roundwound bass strings, gauge: .095 - .075 - .055  .040

28.6" scale tenor bass, in A1 standard tuning (as the 4 upper strings of 6 string bass in regular B0 standard tuning): Elixir Nanoweb nickel roundwound guitar strings, gauge: .068 - .052 - .038 - .028

30" scale Bass VI, in F#1, 2 half steps above low E1 bass string, standard tuning, as in 10 half steps bellow regular guitar E2 standard tuning : Newtone nickel roundwound guitar strings, gauge: .080 - .061 - .046 - .035 - .027 - .020

Guitar, all scale lengths, in regular E2 standard tuning: Elixir Nanoweb nickel roundwound guitar strings, just the regular premade "Light" set, gauge: .046 - .036 - .026 - .017* - .013* - .010* 

=plain string

Edited by Baloney Balderdash
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1