Why become a member? ×

Vintera II Telecaster bass...not officially released yet, but used ones are already popping up!

jd56hawk

Just had a look at the basses on the Andertons website. If I wasn't so into my JMJ mustangs I would be seriously gassing for the custard coloured telebass. The Vintera II mustang basses have the wrong tuners — they have the Gotoh GB10 type with the undersized string post, as used on the CIJ models rather than the lovely lollipop hipshot HB7 of the original vintera and the JMJ.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Cato said:

The green Telebass is gorgeous.

I'm interested in the Bass VIs too, but the colour choice of red or blue doesn't really thrill me.

I like the Fiesta Red, but the nut width looks the same as the Squiers and it really isn't manageable for me; needs to be wider. The Telebasses and the Jazzes look nice.

• Like 1

I had the Squier TB P bass a while back that is similar to this with the great big Seth pickup by the neck.  Lovely playability and a lovely neck but sound wise it was just all bark and no definition.  Looked the muts nuts and played well just it only had one sound and that sound didnt work for very much

15 hours ago, merello said:

So the Guitarguitar price is £1079, discounted from £1149, which it 'was' beforehand.  As this has been on sale for less than 24 hours, how many minutes was it priced at £1149 I wonder?  

• Like 3

I'm torn - I love the shape, SFG is my joint favourite Fender colour (along with CAR), and I love that this bass comes in a proper full scale.  I love the idea of a big chunky neck....  It looks beautiful.  I could even (probably) get used to the stupid reverse tuners.  The big problem for me is the sound.  Now, I like a big fat hairy bass tone, but I wonder if I'd feel constrained by only having that sound available...

I mean, potentially one could replace the tone cap and pot with ones that are likely to give a brighter sound, but I wouldn't want to do much more than that.  Certainly not mucking about changing pickups etc.  I guess I'll have to try one in the flesh - although where I might get to do that in rural mid-Wales I don't know!

5 hours ago, Jackroadkill said:

Now, I like a big fat hairy bass tone, but I wonder if I'd feel constrained by only having that sound available...

The notion of some basses being a "one trick pony" is nonsense, get creative instead of constrained. 

Several years back I sent a couple of bass parts to a Danish guitar player, asking which he preferred. Response was "2nd one with the fresh set of rounds." Thing is there had been no new strings nor a change in settings; both parts had been recorded on a Westone Concord with no Vol or Tone pots.

His "new strings" was me shifting my right hand position to nearer the bridge 😃

• Like 4

On 19/09/2023 at 01:25, jd56hawk said:

Reverb, of course. Not sure why anyone would want to buy a used one, even an unused used one, for the same price as a new one, but.. 

xrkee9i17mp6we5jmxvt.jpg

Does look great. I was in love with the idea of getting a 1962 version of this tele (I think that was the date) because I thought, all that bottom is gonna be wicked... then I couldn't face the cost so I bought one of those double humbucker ones from 2012. The neck one sounds totally killer but the bridge one wasn't happening so I put a musicman pickup there which really helps when you want some tops in there. Does look pretty tho

• Like 2

On 22/09/2023 at 19:49, Jackroadkill said:

I'm torn - I love the shape, SFG is my joint favourite Fender colour (along with CAR), and I love that this bass comes in a proper full scale.  I love the idea of a big chunky neck....  It looks beautiful.  I could even (probably) get used to the stupid reverse tuners.  The big problem for me is the sound.  Now, I like a big fat hairy bass tone, but I wonder if I'd feel constrained by only having that sound available...

I mean, potentially one could replace the tone cap and pot with ones that are likely to give a brighter sound, but I wouldn't want to do much more than that.  Certainly not mucking about changing pickups etc.  I guess I'll have to try one in the flesh - although where I might get to do that in rural mid-Wales I don't know!

I don't think it has reverse-gear tuners. It's a 70s-style bass, and Fender had done away with the reverse-gear tuners in the '60s.

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Jono Bolton said:

I don't think it has reverse-gear tuners. It's a 70s-style bass, and Fender had done away with the reverse-gear tuners in the '60s.

I'm sure I heard this in a video review I saw, but having read your comment I've looked at the specs on a few websites and it appears you're right....  Which means I might have just talked myself one step closer to buying one....  So thanks!

• Haha 1