Why become a member? ×

What single thing would you like a gear company to do that they don't do currently?

Jean-Luc Pickguard

I'd like @Tech21NYC to do a smaller version of the Steve Harris pedal. A Boss sized enclosure with a single channel, no tuner. That would be much better for pedal board use. I only sold mine  because it's just inconvenient for a Pedaltrain type set up. It's such a great pedal, even if just used as an overdrive. (Ideally stick a compressor in the existing one too).

And while you are at it - do a V3 of the Paradriver with the Presence control from the BDDI V2... and stick the jack sockets and power input on the top edge to help with 'board space a bit.

• Like 1

I have hassled him before :) but I'd like Barefaced @alexclaber to do a vertical Three10T cab with kickback wheels, and a tweeter.

Alex has kindly informed me that to get a sensible 4ohm impedance it would need custom ordered cones and that the demand probably wouldn't be there for the expense and R&D. So I'm counting on you lot to tell him that you'd all buy 3 cabs each! :D :D :D 

Narrow and tall, with wheels would be perfect for me. The Four10 doesn't have wheels and is short, the Six10 is just completely overdoing it and there are many venues I play I'd have trouble getting it through doors / stairs etc and with about 20 band members there isn't much room either. The Eight10 gives me funny feelings in my loins but it wouldn't fit in the car.

My feeble attempts at saying "Well, Ashdown have made one..." didn't work in the slightest, but it was worth a shot. So I'm going to try "More people will want to have sex with you, Alex, if you make it"*

* Those people are likely to just be Basschat members or maybe even me, but that's your risk!

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

1 hour ago, fretmeister said:

I have hassled him before :) but I'd like Barefaced @alexclaber to do a vertical Three10T cab with kickback wheels, and a tweeter.

Alex has kindly informed me that to get a sensible 4ohm impedance it would need custom ordered cones and that the demand probably wouldn't be there for the expense and R&D. So I'm counting on you lot to tell him that you'd all buy 3 cabs each! :D :D :D 

Narrow and tall, with wheels would be perfect for me. The Four10 doesn't have wheels and is short, the Six10 is just completely overdoing it and there are many venues I play I'd have trouble getting it through doors / stairs etc and with about 20 band members there isn't much room either. The Eight10 gives me funny feelings in my loins but it wouldn't fit in the car.

My feeble attempts at saying "Well, Ashdown have made one..." didn't work in the slightest, but it was worth a shot. So I'm going to try "More people will want to have sex with you, Alex, if you make it"*

* Those people are likely to just be Basschat members or maybe even me, but that's your risk!

There's always the 2x12". A 3x10" would only have 4% more cone area and possibly that would be lost due to less excursion on the 10s so don't really see the advantage. 

• Like 1

On 08/09/2023 at 02:03, Downunderwonder said:

You entirely missed the point.

Most of us know what gain is by definition. We also use the term the wrong way so you'll have to get over it.

Gain as in "moar rawk" without an increase in volume, was the request.

Then just call it what it is: distortion. 😉

• Like 2

2 hours ago, fretmeister said:

It could be done as a 5.33 ohm cab (3x16 ohm speakers in parallel). Most amps will handle that. Markbass and Ashdown have both done 3x10" cabs and done pretty well with them. 

I'd buy one. :)

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Downunderwonder said:

It doesn't matter what anyone calls it when it's adding gain and causing soundguy's head to explode.

Drive is not Gain. Just like Gain is not Volume. The names are different because the operation is different.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Downunderwonder said:

Still ignores the request for a solution to a practical problem.

If you read the reply from the Sansamp tech you asked for:

It's not a 'problem'. It's how all gain structures work and and amplifier stages work. 

The problem is the user understanding it. 

If I have a PA. It has gain and volume. How you adjust gain and volume is up to the end user. Both affect the final volume. 

"Drive" is different as it's intention is to drive the input stage into clipping. So as you increase it the volume increases until it starts to clip. At which point the volume doesn't increase anymore, you just get more distortion (and compression).

The "drive" on the other pedal is in a separate module with blend control. So doesn't affect the overall volume. 

It's just a case of understanding how it's designed to work and what the terms mean.

A gain of 1 or 0dB is unity. Have a look at the controls on your PA. Note the 0dB level marks. 

Edited by TimR
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, TimR said:

It's not a 'problem'. It's how all gain structures work and and amplifier stages work. 

If I have a PA. It has gain and volume. How you adjust gain and volume is up to the end user. Both affect the final volume. 

"Drive" is different as it's intention is to drive the input stage into clipping. So as you increase it the volume increases until it starts to clip. At which point the volume doesn't increase anymore, you just get more distortion (and compression).

The "drive" on the other pedal is in a separate module with blend control. So doesn't affect the overall volume. 

It's just a case of understanding how it's designed to work and what the terms mean.

A gain of 1 or 0dB is unity. Have a look at the controls on your PA. Note the 0dB level marks. 

Deaf ears.

• Like 1

Line 6 to make another Variax bass using the current HD technology. And preferably make it headless. Perhaps marketing it as a bass that can make a huge variety of sounds, and making it Workbench compatible, rather than saying it's exact emulations of various basses.

• Like 3

Would like Fender to design and release a 5-string version of the '51 slab P that looks kind of normal but still has normal string spacing and comes in various colours, not just butterscotch and Sting - and not be a very expensive one-off custom thing.

...then pass the designs on to Squier so I have a chance of affording one.   And then maybe Sire will do a sorted version and I can just about afford that.....

• Like 1

10 hours ago, TimR said:

I think he knows exactly how it works - What he wants is a unit where increasing the gain automatically lowers the volume to keep a consistent overall output.

Some compressors do this already, when the ratio is increased or the threshold is lowered the make up gain is dealt with automatically to keep the output consistent. It shouldn't be that hard to do on a drive pedal / preamp unit.

• Like 1