Why become a member? ×

Illness Has Stopped Me Gigging Temporarily

Chienmortbb

Yep. Long covid has put paid to most of my extra curricular activities; can’t stand or walk for long, do what gigging I do is now sat down. My brain fog and fatigue means that I can’t drive or remember lots of different songs and set lists like I used to.
It sucks but I know folks who’ve had it worse. Try to focus on the positives. learn a new instrument or 2, broaden your musical tastes or start to transcribe different stuff than you’re used to hearing.

one thing I’ve learned through all of this is that everybody can find something that they enjoy. 

keep your chin up dude.

• Sad 4

I had to quit a band earlier this year due to my back issues, being a covers band it meant  carrying/setting up full backline & PA and I just can’t do that stuff anymore. Am ok with bass gigs as it means 1 bass and 1 Sansamp so easy enough.

Similar to @paul_5 I’m also dealing with long Covid, nowhere near as bad but last weekend I had a gig on Fri eve and went for a curry Sun eve, took me til Thur to recover (I’m a non drinker btw so not like I went overboard on recreational grounds). I’m just hoping it doesn’t get any worse as would hate to have to leave my gigging band.

• Sad 2

13 hours ago, police squad said:

I recently did a first aid  refesher course

it turns out our instructor caught covid and died. CPR etc................18 months off work.

kidneys not working properly but THE BEST first aid course ever. A really great person. I hope she can carry on for a while.

I'm very confused...

• Haha 1

I'm struggling to even find the energy to play at home.  I get home and simply collapse in a heap.

Due to Gastro-Intestinal issues,  I've lost 32lbs over 6 weeks,  and can't really put it back on. 

Medically,  things are underway.  I've had one (unpleasant) procedure, and am awaiting the results of a CT scan, but that's not helping the terminal lack of energy. 

Best quote of the whole episode goes to my GP;

"What? You're still at work ?"

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, Lfalex v1.1 said:

I'm struggling to even find the energy to play at home.  I get home and simply collapse in a heap.

Due to Gastro-Intestinal issues,  I've lost 32lbs over 6 weeks,  and can't really put it back on. 

Medically,  things are underway.  I've had one (unpleasant) procedure, and am awaiting the results of a CT scan, but that's not helping the terminal lack of energy. 

Best quote of the whole episode goes to my GP;

"What? You're still at work ?"

Sorry to hear this. I went through something that sounds a little similar 13 years ago. Hope you get some answers and resolution soon. 

• Thanks 1

On 03/09/2023 at 00:23, Lozz196 said:

I had to quit a band earlier this year due to my back issues, being a covers band it meant  carrying/setting up full backline & PA and I just can’t do that stuff anymore. Am ok with bass gigs as it means 1 bass and 1 Sansamp so easy enough.

Similar to @paul_5 I’m also dealing with long Covid, nowhere near as bad but last weekend I had a gig on Fri eve and went for a curry Sun eve, took me til Thur to recover (I’m a non drinker btw so not like I went overboard on recreational grounds). I’m just hoping it doesn’t get any worse as would hate to have to leave my gigging band.

To be fair I have suffered from severe tiredness since two bouts of COVID but nowhere near as bad as you guys. It did not stop me gigging but by mid way through the second set I struggle to stay awake. I seem to hit a wall at about 10 pm no mater how much I sleep before. I am not claiming Long Covid but it may not help. I certainly cannot do gigs on successive nights. 

Struggling at the moment. Covid hit me hard about two weeks back. Still can't stand for more than a few minutes. Fortunately my band were able to get a dep to replace me for a couple of gigs last week. 

Next gig is the 16th of this month, so I'm hoping to be fit enough for that but not overly confident:wacko:

• Sad 1

33 minutes ago, gary mac said:

Struggling at the moment. Covid hit me hard about two weeks back. Still can't stand for more than a few minutes. Fortunately, my band were able to get a dep to replace me for a couple of gigs last week. 

Next gig is the 16th of this month, so I'm hoping to be fit enough for that but not overly confident:wacko:

Sorry to hear that. People think that COVID is done, but we may be in for a shock this Winter. There is a new variant of concern, but It's nothing to worry about unless they give it a name (letter actually, Greek alphabet like Omicron).

Around 2017 I started singing properly; I put loads of work into technique and growing my confidence and I thought 'I can't believe I've missed out all these years'. 

Then COVID turned my mild asthma into COPD, and there are about 3 times EVERY day where I question whether my medicine will kick in before I pass out from suffocation. Every time I try to sing, I get about 30 seconds in and then my chest seizes up. I hate it. 

• Sad 5