Why become a member? ×

Foo Fighters - a 910 cab?

MuseMatt

1 hour ago, Musicman20 said:

I can't think of anything worse than a silent stage.

All of the fun/sound just in your ears with no omppph....not for me. 

As one of the biggest bands on the planet, they can do what they want, and I'd be just as ridiculous for fun. 

Probably 4 x Aguilar 412DB cabs. 

The sorts of gigs that the Foo Fighters do even if they were all on IEMs and had no amplification or foldback speakers on stage it would be far from quiet. There would be enough spillage from the FoH to keep things lively and loud. It's not the Dog and Duck you know.

13 minutes ago, NancyJohnson said:

In this day and age, isn't it proven that you don't really need a wall of amps/cabinets behind you?  I can't honestly see any merit in it in this case at all, except as mentioned before, it's forming part of the look.  

But it looks wrong without the amps on top of the cabs.

31 minutes ago, NancyJohnson said:

In this day and age, isn't it proven that you don't really need a wall of amps/cabinets behind you?  I can't honestly see any merit in it in this case at all, except as mentioned before, it's forming part of the look.  

and thats your opinion, im 99.9% certain none of the cabs on stage for the foos are for the look.

if they want to be loud on stage and have big amp rigs then they are in the position and venues to be able to do it, even if whats being used for the foh is something of stage, its what makes them comfortable! it doesnt need to make sense to anyone but in this case nate onstage

Well there are a few rig rundowns on YouTube and Chris Shiflett def uses amps which appear to be on stage, plus Nate himself said in an interview about his gear that his band is loud so he needed his (at the time) Ashdown rig to keep up. Maybe they’ve changed but something tells me they’re live backline kind of guys.

Edited by Lozz196
  • Like 3

I use iem’s but still like an amp behind me tickling the back of the legs! If I pop out the iem I get a nice sense of the drums and bass with the foh giving me enough guitar and vocals. I might only pop the iem’s out on a few occasions but it’s nice to have that ‘live’ vibe from amp and drums  it’s not super loud just enough to feel it. 

8 minutes ago, Lozz196 said:

Well there are a few rig rundowns on YouTube and Chris Shiflett def uses amps which appear to be on stage, plus Nate himself said in an interview about his gear that his band is loud so he needed his (at the time) Ashdown rig to keep up. Maybe they’ve changed but something tells me they’re live backline kind of guys.

i know at one point nate was using 2 BTA 400 still think hes an ashdown guy, as im sure ive read somewhere ashdown are making him some custom 910's

5 hours ago, BigRedX said:

The sorts of gigs that the Foo Fighters do even if they were all on IEMs and had no amplification or foldback speakers on stage it would be far from quiet. There would be enough spillage from the FoH to keep things lively and loud. It's not the Dog and Duck you know.

But it looks wrong without the amps on top of the cabs.

Assuming it's even wired up and moving air, makes you wonder whether Chris Shiflett can actually hear a single note being produced by it.

It's nonsense! Nonsense I tell ya!

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, NancyJohnson said:

Assuming it's even wired up and moving air, makes you wonder whether Chris Shiflett can actually hear a single note being produced by it.

If they ARE then he won't be hearing it for long!

Edited by paul_5
  • Like 1

57 minutes ago, NancyJohnson said:

It's nonsense! Nonsense I tell ya!

There’s loads of videos of his rig, remember he isn’t stood in front of them in a pub, he’s a fair distance, Nate doesn’t strike me neither do foos to be a band who is having unusd cabs on stage 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, krispn said:

I use iem’s but still like an amp behind me tickling the back of the legs! If I pop out the iem I get a nice sense of the drums and bass with the foh giving me enough guitar and vocals. I might only pop the iem’s out on a few occasions but it’s nice to have that ‘live’ vibe from amp and drums  it’s not super loud just enough to feel it. 

I've played in some loud bands but have never been so loud that could actually feel the sound pressure waves coming from my rig. If I had I suspect I would probably be even more deaf than I am.

2 hours ago, BigRedX said:

I've played in some loud bands but have never been so loud that could actually feel the sound pressure waves coming from my rig. If I had I suspect I would probably be even more deaf than I am.

What?

• Haha 2

On 30/08/2023 at 08:32, Musicman20 said:

I can't think of anything worse than a silent stage.

All of the fun/sound just in your ears with no omppph....not for me. 

As one of the biggest bands on the planet, they can do what they want, and I'd be just as ridiculous for fun. 

Probably 4 x Aguilar 412DB cabs. 

You're young aren't you? :D

When I was that age I was in a band called Lionheart. Still know it was the best band I was ever in. This is what we carried:

Hammond Organ and it's Leslie,

Fender Rhodes piano,

A large custom made case containing two ARP Synths,

Two Altec A7 cabinets for PA lows,

Two huge Altec horns for highs,

Large custom made case containing three powerful AB Power Amps,

My bass amp: 200W per channel class AB amp that I designed and built myself in it's plywood case,

H&H twin !5 cabinet one 15 per channel,

Fender Twin guitar amp,

Massive mixer for vocals,

Full set of drums

Four stage monitors,

Mic stands, stands for the PA speakers, stands for the Keyboards,

Boxes and boxes full of cables for the PA and Lights,

Two stands for the lights that we carried. 

Eight lights.

I could go on. LOL

We played Graduations for High School, college and University. It was loads of fun!! :)

Edited by BassmanPaul
  • Like 1

I don’t play at ear splitting volume or anyhing like that but I do notice the difference with the amp behind me. In one venue we have a sound tech and when I run a cleaner FOH and a dirty amp she always maintains it’s a better bass sound than other bands who play the same room. She’s very conscious of balancing the drums and stage with her foh mix so I know I’m not blasting my amp. 

I like having the amp behind me and I’ll likely continue to have it as it works for me. I use iems and we don’t have guitar amps on the stage. It’s been experience/experimenting that’s led me to this set up. It works for me.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, krispn said:

I don’t play at ear splitting volume or anyhing like that but I do notice the difference with the amp behind me. In one venue we have a sound tech and when I run a cleaner FOH and a dirty amp she always maintains it’s a better bass sound than other bands who play the same room. She’s very conscious of balancing the drums and stage with her foh mix so I know I’m not blasting my amp. 

I like having the amp behind me and I’ll likely continue to have it as it works for me. I use iems and we don’t have guitar amps on the stage. It’s been experience/experimenting that’s led me to this set up. It works for me.

my bands guitarist are both modeller guys QC and Kemper but both use FRFR cabs live to have onstage sound, in smaller cap venues this makes a massive difference!!! im somewhere inbetween, send a nice di and can be silent if needed but much prefer having a 215 behind me.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 25/08/2023 at 03:04, MuseMatt said:

Was looking at a recent foo fighters gig and it looks like Nate's switched to two 9x10 cabs, but I'm not sure what they are. 

image.png.0675b3502c781e27cf6c989bbcd0101c.png

Added the screenshot, concert here. Anybody who recognises this?

V9 clones I built for them in March

• Like 2

On 25/08/2023 at 03:04, MuseMatt said:

Was looking at a recent foo fighters gig and it looks like Nate's switched to two 9x10 cabs, but I'm not sure what they are. 

image.png.0675b3502c781e27cf6c989bbcd0101c.png

Added the screenshot, concert here. Anybody who recognises this?

V9 clones I built for them in March

20230323_133030.jpg

IMG_3814.jpg

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1