Why become a member? ×

Digital Mixer and Gigs

Boodang

On 29/07/2023 at 18:36, Smanth said:

I bought an XR-18 here on BC a while back, used it in anger for the first time at an open mic about 3 weeks ago.

Performed to perfection!  The mixer was at the side of the stage so no super long XLR cables were needed.

All controlled over WiFi (via an external WiFi hub connected, the built in WiFi is near useless) from an iPad and my iPhone.

Control was really not bad, tho I've sprung the huge £5 or so to get the mixing station app https://mixingstation.app/

I've yet to fully set it up, but it is much more customisable than the x-air app.

S'manth x 

Thoroughly agree that Mixing Station app makes much more sense. You can customise your view in Mixing Station, hide the channels you don't use, re-order the ones you do etc.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I am much more a linux and computing nerd than I am bass nerd and I've always used and recommended the Mikrotik stuff for people who are looking for a router for their digital desks. However, when I needed an upgrade a few months ago I did at least consider the GliNet stuff as I thought it looked interesting. They've just got a pretty positive (sponsored) review on LTT. Certainly good to have more options for anyone who needs a router. https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=glinet+travel+router&crid=383TNCA6M0WW1&sprefix=glinet%2Caps%2C83&ref=nb_sb_ss_ts-doa-p_3_6

Edited by Jack

I use one of their routers. The Opal. Seems rock solid and fits on the bag with my XR18. I got a used one for £25 from Amazon. I’ve even used it when I’ve been away as a main router. 
Nice that this one runs off a usb phone charger. The more expensive ones need a bit more power. 

Edited by dave_bass5

I wanted to get one of the more expensive ones, but i liked how little power the Opal needs. To seems that the next one up and above need something more powerful like an iPad charger. Not a big deal, but all our power strips have the standard 5watt ports so it made sense to get that. 
i might get a larger one for home use when our current one fails. 

Allen & Heath CQ18T arrived this week. We use A&H SQ5, very happy but needed a back up...the CQ has the guts of the SQ without the faders + assist functionality for Gain, EQ, FX, Feedback control. = built in WIFI....Set up to mirror our channel settings from the SQ...all good sounds the same!!!...I think the iPad app interface is better & the personal mix app (my SQ myCQ) is roughly the same....& its tiny & less than 1/3rd cost......so far so good....Plenty of videos on YT

CQ-18T___Allen___Heath.thumb.gif.93b7bde317acb8d8694fa4d75a07a65e.gif

CQ-18T___Allen___Heath.thumb.gif.94ff3f2817a4e234faa8f7e8290d3daf.gif

• Like 2

19 hours ago, BCH said:

Allen & Heath CQ18T arrived this week. We use A&H SQ5, very happy but needed a back up...the CQ has the guts of the SQ without the faders + assist functionality for Gain, EQ, FX, Feedback control. = built in WIFI....Set up to mirror our channel settings from the SQ...all good sounds the same!!!...I think the iPad app interface is better & the personal mix app (my SQ myCQ) is roughly the same....& its tiny & less than 1/3rd cost......so far so good....Plenty of videos on YT

I love the features of the CQ20 (all XLRs) but think the screen on the CQ18 really helps, especially with technophobe bandmates.

• Haha 1

Apologies if this has been mentioned already, but the single most useful function I found when I went digital was individual input level meters on every channel. Mixing from the stage isn't easy when you can't hear the mix, but it's not so bad when you can look at the board and see the mix. With analog the only indicators I had were green for signal present and red for input clipping. The next most important feature was compression and limiting on every channel, with effects coming in third, rendering outboard gear unnecessary.

• Like 5

I too love the more visual feedback i get on my iPad. 
My bass player has a had it of turning his bass down (at the bass), and it’s handy to see the gain for his and all the inputs and do something about it. 
The Re gain feature in Mixing station is a real boon for this sort of thing. I don’t really have to worry about the FOH levels changing. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 30/09/2023 at 13:22, Chienmortbb said:

I love the features of the CQ20 (all XLRs) but think the screen on the CQ18 really helps, especially with technophobe bandmates.

On 29/09/2023 at 17:21, BCH said:

Use for the first time last night @ a pub gig 5 piece used 12 inputs & 5 outs for monitors....I & sound eng' use to A&H SQ...downloaded the CQ app ...90% intuitive sound check took 30 min all happy with monitors...improved during 1st set...very happy with the sound...its early days & I'm sure A&H will update with functionality & add on's ...sound helped by amazing KV2 active FoH cabs

• Like 4

On 08/10/2023 at 16:25, BCH said:

Use for the first time last night @ a pub gig 5 piece used 12 inputs & 5 outs for monitors....I & sound eng' use to A&H SQ...downloaded the CQ app ...90% intuitive sound check took 30 min all happy with monitors...improved during 1st set...very happy with the sound...its early days & I'm sure A&H will update with functionality & add on's ...sound helped by amazing KV2 active FoH cabs

On 30/09/2023 at 15:28, Bill Fitzmaurice said:

Apologies if this has been mentioned already, but the single most useful function I found when I went digital was individual input level meters on every channel. Mixing from the stage isn't easy when you can't hear the mix, but it's not so bad when you can look at the board and see the mix. With analog the only indicators I had were green for signal present and red for input clipping. The next most important feature was compression and limiting on every channel, with effects coming in third, rendering outboard gear unnecessary.

Yes this has gone unremarked. No more endless one-twos whilst setting up. Line checking is just a look at the meters to see they are picking up audience noise. No horrible noise from my drummers over complex drum feed either. I can be pretty confident before un-muting that all is well.

• 1 month later...

Hi. I'm having the weirdest issues with my X Air.

I use an external router (always have) and I have the official app, and the Mixing Station app installed on android phones, on android tablets and on a laptop.

I never know which of these devices (if any) will actually find and connect to the desk.

Last week an ancient Hudl I keep as back up connected first time, this week it just stuck on 'searching' but the laptop connected so it was ok. None of the other phones or tablets found the desk this week. 

No rhyme or reason, I never know which device will work, if any. 

Any ideas?

1 hour ago, stewblack said:

I use an external router (always have) and I have the official app, and the Mixing Station app installed on android phones, on android tablets and on a laptop.

I never know which of these devices (if any) will actually find and connect to the desk.

Last week an ancient Hudl I keep as back up connected first time, this week it just stuck on 'searching' but the laptop connected so it was ok. None of the other phones or tablets found the desk this week. 

Any ideas?

Off the top of my head:

a. The router might be going west

b. Interference. There are places where the connection is faultless throughout, and places where it's a constant struggle, and it's not the router's fault.

In addition to the actual WiFi routers in the venue, we found that WiFi printers may interfere, and LED lights (especially the decorative ones you can route all around marquees etc.) seem to have a bad effect on the connection too, when there are a number very close to the unit or even worse, when they're plugged into the same circuit or an adjacent socket. Unfortunately, unless you have a residency in a certain venue, there's no way of testing.

We are now using a Soundcraft Ui 24R and we've occasionally encountered similar problems, but to a far lesser extent.

• Like 1

At the last gig we did, my tablets (main and spare) kept disconnecting from the external router. I switched to the internal wireless and all was well. So don't forget that's always a backup option. I was only a couple of metres from the X-Air so range wasn't an issue.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, stewblack said:

Any ideas?

Had this with an old router, right before it packed in. 🙄 I’ve got a new one and no spare, but can plug the MacBook direct into the XR18 and still get control without the router, in an emergency. I think I saw a video about a cable that can connect your iPad direct too?

• Thanks 1

We always had our laptop physically connected to the XR18 (Ethernet port), ready for emergencies, but that obviously implied me getting on stage and fiddling with a mouse, which we prefer to avoid. This is what we have as an external router in our Soundcraft Ui. We have its correspondent older model in the XR18. We wanted something reliable that uses two channels. No point replacing the crap internal router in a PA system with another crap, external, router. Hence the price tag.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Silvia Bluejay said:

We always had our laptop physically connected to the XR18 (Ethernet port), ready for emergencies, but that obviously implied me getting on stage and fiddling with a mouse, which we prefer to avoid. This is what we have as an external router in our Soundcraft Ui. We have its correspondent older model in the XR18. We wanted something reliable that uses two channels. No point replacing the crap internal router in a PA system with another crap, external, router. Hence the price tag.

Yep, I have the predecessor to that one. Like you say, there's no point using something unreliable, given it's a pretty critical component.

• Like 1

I've seen a few people using high end mixers with cheap routers. It's a false economy and they inevitably have problems. I use TP Link too and they've never let me down. This is what I use with my SQ5 https://www.ebuyer.com/820530-tp-link-archer-mr400-ac1200-wireless-dual-band-4g-lte-router-archer-mr400

I have a similar one for my UI24R and my Apple Airport Express still works a charm with my DL1608.

• Like 1

I used the small tp-link ac750 travel router for a while, but its lack of ports became an issue when I had the X-Control, so now I have a GL-SFT1200 Opal, 3 ports and wireless 2.4 and 5 (with 2.4 switched off). Has been great and the best feature is that it runs off usb so easy to power without having to have more leads.