Why become a member? ×

Huge returns problem with Thomann

jmmc

Hi everyone seeing I have read some threads similar I here asking for advice.

i ordered a guitar and pedal about a month ago and the guitar had a few issues. After contacting Thomann I wanted to return. They booked 2 collections for DHL pickup and no one showed up. After countless emails a 3rd collection was booked and DHL came to pick it up. They said driver would bring the label and I just gave the parcel to him. After telling Thomann parcel was collected, they tell me DHL has no record of ever coming to my house…Now they’re saying because I don’t have a receipt of collection they can’t give me a refund.

This was a collection arranged by them, I would trust they would sort all the logistics. What kind of receipt would I get from the driver.

What I am suspect is that the driver didn’t stick any label and just stole the parcel which is a serious thing and should be investigated. I already told them the drivers time of collection and physical attributes but it feels like I am talking to a bot.

Did anyone experienced anything remotely close and what rights do I have?

I have claimed with paypal already and they’re asking for a tracking code which I don’t have. I only have Thomann returns label with bunch of numbers on it that don’t look like tracking codes.

I wouldn’t hand anything over without a signed receipt. You have absolutely no proof it was ever picked up.

For returns I’ve always had the label emailed to me along with a receipt sort of page which I print out 2 copies of and sign. The driver signs one and returns to me and keeps the other one. 

Good luck with the claim on PayPal but I suspect it will be a challenge as you have no proof of collection 

• Like 1

I have got the impression that Thomann and their courier share a complex relationship in which - via a tortuous process of the slow reveal of very poor processing systems - early problems are eventually resolved. Good luck 👍

1 hour ago, jmmc said:

Hi everyone seeing I have read some threads similar I here asking for advice.

i ordered a guitar and pedal about a month ago and the guitar had a few issues. After contacting Thomann I wanted to return. They booked 2 collections for DHL pickup and no one showed up. After countless emails a 3rd collection was booked and DHL came to pick it up. They said driver would bring the label and I just gave the parcel to him. After telling Thomann parcel was collected, they tell me DHL has no record of ever coming to my house…Now they’re saying because I don’t have a receipt of collection they can’t give me a refund.

This was a collection arranged by them, I would trust they would sort all the logistics. What kind of receipt would I get from the driver.

What I am suspect is that the driver didn’t stick any label and just stole the parcel which is a serious thing and should be investigated. I already told them the drivers time of collection and physical attributes but it feels like I am talking to a bot.

Did anyone experienced anything remotely close and what rights do I have?

I have claimed with paypal already and they’re asking for a tracking code which I don’t have. I only have Thomann returns label with bunch of numbers on it that don’t look like tracking codes.

Bad show indeed.. 

I'd push the PayPal route, just email them copies of all the Thomann messages and correspondence. You might be able to contact dhl for clarity too. If necessary you might need to report it to the police as theft, I'd tell Thomann and particularly dhl that you're intending this as well. 

You've done your bit and other than the pick up itself you have a virtual paper trail of the whole thing. 

When my return was collected it was the same guy who delivered it and I recognised him from previous delivs and chatted to him, he's the local dhl driver so didn't have any concerns there. 

As regards mine, I had an email from Thomann a couple of days ago saying they'd received it back and it's being processed. If I don't hear in a few more days I'll give them a prod as regards refund. 

Your case is very concerning of course and I think you'll have to be fairly pro active in chasing all concerned.  I do wish you luck with it 

With guitars it’s sometimes pretty obvious what’s in the parcel, especially given the shipper, and will be a temptation to pilfer. I wonder how many the likes of Thomann, Andertons and GAK have actually lost in transit. 

Thanks everyone for the tips. I know this is a complicated situation, but Thomann was also never upfront about it. They only sent me a label with a few barcodes and no shipment number and no receipt of collection sheet. I can't get through a human on DHL as everything is automated. 

Yes I was a bit naive but I expected a bit more involvement from Thomann and care for situations like this. They know they're probably covered if I don't do anything about it as the money is on they're side already.

A little update on this. Yesterday was on the phone with Paypal which advised phoning Thomann and failing that, Citizens Advice or police to report potential fraud. Citizens Advice said my options were limited since I didn't have any proof of collection. After being on the phone with Thomann they said they were going to investigate with DHL. Surprisingly today I receive an email saying the parcel arrived at their warehouse and refund will be processed in a few days.

I genuinely don't understand and I wonder what would have happened if I didn't push things forward. Bottom line is Thomann returns just simply don't work and the label they supplied via email wasn't recognised even by DHL when I tried to understand what that was as there wasn't a clear tracking number. Customer service is a nightmare and this was the last time I used them for my musical needs.

• Like 4

41 minutes ago, jmmc said:

A little update on this. Yesterday was on the phone with Paypal which advised phoning Thomann and failing that, Citizens Advice or police to report potential fraud. Citizens Advice said my options were limited since I didn't have any proof of collection. After being on the phone with Thomann they said they were going to investigate with DHL. Surprisingly today I receive an email saying the parcel arrived at their warehouse and refund will be processed in a few days.

I genuinely don't understand and I wonder what would have happened if I didn't push things forward. Bottom line is Thomann returns just simply don't work and the label they supplied via email wasn't recognised even by DHL when I tried to understand what that was as there wasn't a clear tracking number. Customer service is a nightmare and this was the last time I used them for my musical needs.

You should always have a returns label printed off, x 3. One for the driver, one for you, and one for inside the box. The first two, the driver should sign, and don't let him away if he says 'no need'.

3 hours ago, jmmc said:

Like I said above, Thomann appear to share a terrible comms policy with their UK courier, I’ve heard of this same thing happening so many times - it’s missing, it’s missing, it’s missing, it’s arrived all’s good here’s your refund  - but all the time none of the return process apparently notified by the courier to either Thomann or to the buyer. Even despite this, I assume in the grand scheme of things it’s still sufficiently rare for Thomann to keep DHL under contract 

I’m now on the thomann returns adventure, the Aguilar dB preamp I bought from them failed last month. I got a returns label from them but was told that I had to take the package to a ‘DHL parcels pickup’, NOT a dhl express. Now there are four express pickup points in my town, but no parcel pickup closer than 20 miles away. Ok, drove to Weymouth yesterday and dropped it off at the nominated tatty seven-eleven store, on top of a dusty pile of other people’s stuff. Yes, I got a receipt, but I now wonder how long ago the last pickup was, and when the next will be? I fear the worst...

33 minutes ago, Gasman said:

I’m now on the thomann returns adventure, the Aguilar dB preamp I bought from them failed last month. I got a returns label from them but was told that I had to take the package to a ‘DHL parcels pickup’, NOT a dhl express. Now there are four express pickup points in my town, but no parcel pickup closer than 20 miles away. Ok, drove to Weymouth yesterday and dropped it off at the nominated tatty seven-eleven store, on top of a dusty pile of other people’s stuff. Yes, I got a receipt, but I now wonder how long ago the last pickup was, and when the next will be? I fear the worst...

A bit late now but might have been worth messaging them saying there isn't a legit drop off point near you and you need collection, I insisted on collection, which they did... It was a bigger item tho.

I assume you have receipt that you handed it in? 

Good luck, I'm sure it'll be OK in the end! 

1 hour ago, BigRedX said:

The sooner Thomann drop DHL for UK deliveries and returns the better. They are most definitely the weak link in an otherwise efficient service.

They would have done it a long time ago but they will be tied in with their super duper DHL group contract for the rest of the world. That's how they can be competitive.

From the other direction, DHL can't divest themselves of their problem child. The only thing worse for them than a dysfunctional UK arm is no UK arm.

• 1 month later...

I am also in the process of returning something to them.

A bass ordered on 15th August and received on 23rd. The bridge was wonky so I immediately asked for a return. After a week and a half of failed collections it was eventually collected on 4th September.

They don't have it so I raised a PayPal claim against them as I want my refund. They responded today by trying to tell me that it was still with UK customs 14 days after it was collected so I have asked them to prove that this is the case

22 minutes ago, Delberthot said:

The bridge was wonky so I immediately asked for a return. After a week and a half of failed collections it was eventually collected on 4th September.

They don't have it so I raised a PayPal claim against them as I want my refund. They responded today by trying to tell me that it was still with UK customs 14 days after it was collected so I have asked them to prove that this is the case

See also this thread: https://www.basschat.co.uk/topic/480235-big-problem-with-thomann-returns/

It takes a while, which is annoying - but I think everyone does get refunded in the end.  My recent return took 20 days from being dropped off at the corner shop to me being refunded - so that would be 24th Sept for you.

The DHL tracking seems to be not very accurate, and presumably Thomann don't have any more information than what the DHL tracking tells them.  So it's a case of waiting it out.  Still, not a good end-to-end experience for the customer.

• 3 months later...

I am returning a faulty amp (Rumble 800 combo) to Thomann. Courier arranged for today. Turned up in a plain white van. Didn’t have the return label that Thomann said he would, couldn’t provide any type of receipt. “Sorry mate, I’m just standing in for the main driver”.

Sent him on his way without the amp. Now expecting collection tomorrow. 

Glad I read this thread before he arrived. Thanks for all your contributions. 

• Like 3