• Like 2

Like all the above far too many amps!!

Acoustic 126 100w 1 x 15 combo

Fender Rumble 500 V2 head

Mesa Subway D800 head

Fender Rumble 800HD head

Fender Rumble 800 combo

Fender Rumble 1 x 12 V2 cab

Peavey MiniMax 500 built into a BC 1 X 10 combo ( Celestion BN10  300X) [story in Build Diaries]

TC BAM 200 built into a BC 1 x 6 combo ( Faital 6RS140 200w 6ins) [story in Build Diaries]

BC Mk3 (Faital Pro12 PR320 + Celestion CDX1-1425 1ins compresion driver with new style @stevie  X-over) cab

BC Mk1ish (shelf port Faital Pro12 PR320) cab [Barefaced Super Compact Lookalike]

Probably enough to cover most venues 🤣

Edited by JohnDaBass
  • Like 2

Currently

Orange Little Bass Thing
Orange Mk1 Terror 500 (backup)

Barefaced Super Twin
Orange OB1-300 combo (for sale!)
Ashdown LB30 (amazing for recording and practising, not quite enough for gigging)

Ashdown Mi12 cab (used with the LB30)
Trace Elliot 715 SMC (my first proper amp, UK made, will never sell it)

I go through phases with amps, dreading the next one but I think i'm settled now (famous last words!)

Excluding a few small practice amps, I have four that get used for gigs:

Eden WTX-264 - this one is also my practice amp. It's handy for smaller gigs where we're told that the acceptable volume is 'not Motorhead, please'.

Eden Metro - bulky beast but it's monstrously loud.

Eden E300T all-valve head - another plaster-loosener.

Eden WTP600 - nice amp but I'm not 100% convinced it's quite up there with the Metro. 

Four cabs - a 118, two 210s and a 112. All Eden.

I should probably thin out the collection a bit!

Edited by lozkerr

On 05/11/2023 at 18:33, lozkerr said:

Excluding a few small practice amps, I have four that get used for gigs:

Eden WTX-264 - this one is also my practice amp. It's handy for smaller gigs where we're told that the acceptable volume is 'not Motorhead, please'.

Eden Metro - bulky beast but it's monstrously loud.

Eden E300T all-valve head - another plaster-loosener.

Eden WTP600 - nice amp but I'm not 100% convinced it's quite up there with the Metro. 

Four cabs - a 118, two 210s and a 112. All Eden.

I should probably thin out the collection a bit!

Ooooooooh! A Metro on top of a 1x18 should = bass utopia. 👀👍

• Like 1

One amp/rig at a time here.  I have flitted between many different basses in my time, but I've never been that fussed about amps.  I don't count the first practice amp I bought (which still works and I still have as an "office" amp for lunchtime noodling) - that's a Laney 30W 10" combo FWIW.  For practice these days I don't even use a dedicated bass amp - USB audio interface into the laptop and headphones or Yamaha Sessioncake practice/headphone amp thingy.

Rig 1: Hartke HA3500 into an Ashdown ABM 4x10.  That cab was a hefty beast so...

Rig 2: Hartke HA3500 into a Zoot 4x10.  Neodymium makes a hell of a difference.  Then I started on a downsizing/modularising quest so I sold the Hartke and the Ashdown cab to a local rehearsal rooms and got...

Rig 3: RedSub BT5110 with removable head.  Used as 250W combo or as 500W rig with the (4 ohm) Zoot cab as appropriate.  But 4x10s are bulky so...

Rig 4: RedSub BT5110 plus a BFM Omni 10.  Kept the RedSub as a combo and sat it on top of the BFM for an effective 500W 2x1x10 rig.  Sold the Zoot.

All was well for many years (nearly 12) until the RedSub amp died this month :( so it's new rig time, and it's partially done and super shiny (only done 2 gigs with it)

Rig 5: Tecamp Puma 900 into a Markbass New York 121.  I plan to get a second NY121, although the single cab was sounding bloody marvellous last weekend.

I think I will be moving the BFM Omni on, it's a 250W cab and with the Tecamp potentially sending 450W into each cab in a 4 ohm scenario I don't feel comfortable using it.  It has some other issues (the tweeters don't work - never figured out why)

I haven't got the room to hoard cabs and amps!

Edited by neepheid
  • Like 1

In my rehearsal space: EBS HD350 through an EBS Proline 410. Although the HD350 sounds great, I use an Ampeg SVP-PRO tube preamp into the FX return of the EBS. I could replace the head with a nice power amp, but can't be bothered. I like the EBS, and for gigs I rarely need to bring an amp and just carry a small rack with the preamp and a Korg DTR-1000. 

At home I play through an EBS NeoDrome 12 (that I also bring to small livingroom rehearsals or as a personal bass monitor at gigs when I don't need to bring the big one) which I absolutely love. I got it at a steal, and it sounds fantastic at any volume. Like most EBS combo's it doesn't have an external speaker output and all 150 watts go to the internal speaker at 4 Ohms - and it can get deceptively loud. 

Aside from the Ampeg SVP-PRO I also have an SVP-CL and an SWR Grand Prix tube preamp - but they haven't been used for several years. I bought the SWR as my "silent rig" for home use, to plug straight into my USB mixer to practice along to music on my computer, but it's been sitting in a rack in my rehearsal space in neglect along with the SVP-CL.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Well well, isn't funny how everything can change in a few weeks?  Looks like I'll be a two rig guy now.  I was set on getting another cab to focus on using the Tecamp Puma 900 with 2 cabs and that was that, but an opportunity arose to buy a Markbass CMD 121P IV combo at an extremely favourable price.  Of course, this sits perfectly on top of the New York 121 for a very agreeable 500W rig.  It's more than enough to handle the pub gigs I've done with it so far.

Trouble is, I really like the Puma and I don't want to move it on - I like how it sounds, it's so powerful and wee, so convenient as a backup, as a headphone amp, and as the main amp for the evening.  So my new plan is to find another cab to partner the Puma up with.  I'm wanting to stay Markbass, I still want to be modular and compact, so I'm on the hunt for a Traveler 121 Ninja.  Logic being that it's 800W@8ohm so it'll handle the Puma by itself, and comfortably deal with it in a pair (the NY 121 will not be happy with its 450W share of the load, seeing as it tops out at 400W, but I'll know not to run it at full chat - I doubt I'd ever need to, TBF).  I guess a second NY 121 wouldn't be a dreadful thing to have - the pair of them will handle 800W of the Puma's 900W full output so as long as I'm not daft it'll be OK.

Anyway, that's the plan, I'm not in a hurry to execute it, but ultimately that's where I'm headed.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, neepheid said:

Well well, isn't funny how everything can change in a few weeks?  Looks like I'll be a two rig guy now.  I was set on getting another cab to focus on using the Tecamp Puma 900 with 2 cabs and that was that, but an opportunity arose to buy a Markbass CMD 121P IV combo at an extremely favourable price.  Of course, this sits perfectly on top of the New York 121 for a very agreeable 500W rig.  It's more than enough to handle the pub gigs I've done with it so far.

Trouble is, I really like the Puma and I don't want to move it on - I like how it sounds, it's so powerful and wee, so convenient as a backup, as a headphone amp, and as the main amp for the evening.  So my new plan is to find another cab to partner the Puma up with.  I'm wanting to stay Markbass, I still want to be modular and compact, so I'm on the hunt for a Traveler 121 Ninja.  Logic being that it's 800W@8ohm so it'll handle the Puma by itself, and comfortably deal with it in a pair (the NY 121 will not be happy with its 450W share of the load, seeing as it tops out at 400W, but I'll know not to run it at full chat - I doubt I'd ever need to, TBF).  I guess a second NY 121 wouldn't be a dreadful thing to have - the pair of them will handle 800W of the Puma's 900W full output so as long as I'm not daft it'll be OK.

Anyway, that's the plan, I'm not in a hurry to execute it, but ultimately that's where I'm headed.

You do realise you are only on the start of the slippery slope that leads to a garage full of amps and cabs? It's not too late to hop off.

When I started golf setting my gear I got to three rigs and started selling extras. For a while I was good. Then a bargain came along. Still I was good. Then another, and another... presently at 5 amps and 3 cabs which I can all justify for liking the sounds and the hefts and the looks and the practicalities. But nobody would complain if I went down to 1 of each, until something broke, and I could still cobble up a rig out of PA gear if all the bass stuff was stolen.

Slippery slope I tell ye!

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

My collection.

Main amp is the Ashdown RM evo II.

Before that I had the TC Classic 450 and haven't got round to selling it.

For many years I had a TE AH200 and sold it sometime ago. A few came up at a good price so I bought another a few years ago.

20231201_223738.jpg

• Like 1

Home practice rig , Aguilar 350 and SL112.  Gig rig , Monique pre , Forte , Berg 210 here but I mostly use a 112. For rehearsals I just picked up a Barefaced 0ne 10 that works very well.  And another practice rig with a Darkglass e500 , Phil Jones BigHead headphone amp and a C2 cab. 
I have some other amps and cabs , some that I should sell , but I’m not under any panic to so. Might wait until tax refund time to list them. I thought I was done buying basses , but Herself talked me into picking up a big orange Gretsch the other day. Scheduled delivery Tuesday. 
There’s nothing quite like a big orange Gretsch.

IMG_7074.jpeg

IMG_6804.jpeg

IMG_8227.jpeg

• Like 2

On 30/11/2023 at 22:18, neepheid said:

I hung on to my Tecamp Puma 900 because it's such a wonderful little amp, although I'd bought a GR Bass combo. It turned out to be a good decision as I've started doing an open mic night which doesn't have a regular bassist, so I'm taking along the very portable Puma 900 plus BC house jam microcab. I can carry both of them plus my little bag of bits in one hand.

• Like 1