Why become a member? ×

Which one of you posted this on twitter

Crusoe

I found this reply post amusing on the OP Twitter thread...

"There’s two types of scat. There's nonsense-singing by singers , and then there’s ‘jazz noises’: the involuntary Tourette’s-type vocalisations made by piano or bass players when deep in the throes of instrumental improvisation.

The latter tends to be the more interesting sort."

:D

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Waddo Soqable said:

I always wanted a ferret as a kid but my mum absolutely wouldn't have a bar of it ! 

I had one for a few years. Didn't use him for hunting. He was a pet (purists can look away now). Great character. Used to take him for walks with a cat harness and long lead. It was amusing in the local park when dogs used to run up to him. He'd arch his back with his fur standing on on end, bare his teeth and hiss at them. He never backed away (I was always ready to grab him and pick him up if things got ugly). Must have been something about the smell or sound of him, but dogs, even large ones, never pushed their luck with him.

Owners would come up and say, "Did my dog frighten your... what's that, mate?" "A polecat", I'd reply (he was dark marked like a polecat).

They'd drag Fido away, complaining that I shouldn't be in the park with a "dangerous animal".

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

32 minutes ago, Waddo Soqable said:

I just wanted one as a pet, I didn't want to use him as a killing machine, although they can do that rather well by nature of course. 

It'd be a bit of a riot here trying to integrate a ferret with all the other 4 leggers unfortunately, but they still do appeal 😁

Hey Waddo! Interesting - do You mean Your logo as a "peace symbol" or "never using nuclear weapons "???😉

• Like 1

1 minute ago, nilorius said:

Hey Waddo! Interesting - do You mean Your logo as a "peace symbol" or "never using nuclear weapons "???😉

You do know that the symbol is made up of a composite of the semaphore signals for "N" and "D", don't you? And CND stands for Campaign for Nuclear Disarmament. https://cnduk.org/the-symbol/

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, nilorius said:

I bunged it on as a simple Peace symbol, as a reaction to a lot of the jingoistic war-mongery blather that was being punted a while back. 

.. as Tz says the CND movement in the 50s "devised" it from the semaphore characters, although I believe the symbol, or one virtually the same, has existed in several previous historical incarnations too, ironically I think one of the German panzer divisions used it on their motors ! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, Waddo Soqable said:

I bunged it on as a simple Peace symbol, as a reaction to a lot of the jingoistic war-mongery blather that was being punted a while back. 

.. as Tz says the CND movement in the 50s "devised" it from the semaphore characters, although I believe the symbol, or one virtually the same, has existed in several previous historical incarnations too, ironically I think one of the German panzer divisions used it on their motors ! 

To quote from that link that I cited:

He later wrote to Hugh Brock, editor of Peace News, explaining the genesis of his idea in greater, more personal depth: ‘I was in despair. Deep despair. I drew myself: the representative of an individual in despair, with hands palm outstretched outwards and downwards in the manner of Goya’s peasant before the firing squad. I formalised the drawing into a line and put a circle around it’.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, tauzero said:

To quote from that link that I cited:

A good illustration of the semaphore part of the equation, the 4th panzer div. sign however is, erm, pretty similar( tho inverted) probably stuck in my mind from making model tanks as a kid! 

IMG_20230721_084758.jpg

IMG_20230721_090340.jpg

Edited by Waddo Soqable
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, Waddo Soqable said:

A good illustration of the semaphore part of the equation, the 4th panzer div. sign however is, erm, pretty similar( tho inverted) probably stuck in my mind from making model tanks as a kid! 

IMG_20230721_084758.jpg

IMG_20230721_090340.jpg

Full starter kit - I knew Lenon was right!

Aanyway, returning to jazz, aparrently Charlie Parker's  heroin addiction, which tragically cut his life short,( dying in his 30s)  can be traced back to a band bus accident which left him with back pain.. Heroin being a very effective pain killer was used to alleviate this, and being so addictive... The rest is history :(

• Like 1

On 20/07/2023 at 06:37, lowdown said:

I found this reply post amusing on the OP Twitter thread...

"There’s two types of scat. There's nonsense-singing by singers , and then there’s ‘jazz noises’: the involuntary Tourette’s-type vocalisations made by piano or bass players when deep in the throes of instrumental improvisation.

The latter tends to be the more interesting sort."

:D

Tell that person there's a third type of scat!

• Like 2