Why become a member? ×

I dont care what the original bass line is.

bubinga5

I don't want to play any song exactly as written/recorded and I imagine very few original artistes play numbers exactly as per their original recording  either  Perhaps the only people that do go for a carbon copy of a specific original are those in tribute bands - the train-spotters in their audience came to hear a recreation of the music of their youth and wouldn't tolerate anything else!

Edited by Gasman
Further elucidation

I only change basslines for three reasons:

I’m unable to establish what the exact line is in the first place so will play my interpretation.

If doing vocals at same time and the line is too complicated to play whilst singing so I’ll simplify.

I’m simply not good enough to play it, so again I’ll simplify.

• Like 12

I like Julia, shes great.

She hasn't fallen for the traps of being a youtube star and changing looks and creating content for no reason, or trying to be crazy to get views. She simply gets on, plays and does an amazing job.

• Like 5

I'm very much in the reinterpretation ballpark; our set leans heavily (70%) on material that our vocalist had some success with from the 1980s through to now.

Some of the bass work leaves a lot to be desired; it's either too rooty, unnecessarily busy or inconsistent.  I just don't want to be measured against these or end up playing other people's lines, so from the outset it was pretty much a case of saying I'm going to play what I want.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, NancyJohnson said:

I'm very much in the reinterpretation ballpark; our set leans heavily (70%) on material that our vocalist had some success with from the 1980s through to now.

Some of the bass work leaves a lot to be desired; it's either too rooty, unnecessarily busy or inconsistent.  I just don't want to be measured against these or end up playing other people's lines, so from the outset it was pretty much a case of saying I'm going to play what I want.

This^^!

On 14/07/2023 at 23:42, bubinga5 said:

I know Mr Browns original bass playing on this record. But her playing is just ridiculously good I would prefer hers to be on that record. just fantastic bass playing.

Some nice licks, but do they support the song as a bassline? I don’t think so, but that’s not why she’s written those lines.

Edited by OliverBlackman
  • Like 3
  • Confused 1

On 15/07/2023 at 16:52, Lozz196 said:

I’m unable to establish what the exact line is in the first place so will play my interpretation.

If doing vocals at same time and the line is too complicated to play whilst singing so I’ll simplify.

Agreed, I'll add a fourth to that, just occasionally, I can come up with something better, which often means I move towards your second, simpler :) 

On 15/07/2023 at 16:52, Lozz196 said:

Ditto

On 14/07/2023 at 23:42, bubinga5 said:

I know Mr Browns original bass playing on this record. But her playing is just ridiculously good I would prefer hers to be on that record. just fantastic bass playing.

Technically excellent playing but it gets way too busy for me especially towards the end. I realise it's high up in the mix but I wonder what the singer would make of a bass player going for it like that through the whole song? As Oliver commented earlier, I think it's distracting rather than supporting the feel of the song.

Edited by Sparky Mark
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 18/07/2023 at 00:55, Sparky Mark said:

Technically excellent playing but it gets way too busy for me especially towards the end. I realise it's high up in the mix but I wonder what the singer would make of a bass player going for it like that through the whole song? As Oliver commented earlier, I think it's distracting rather than supporting the feel of the song.

For sure. But its bass. Its only distracting if it was that high in the mix. I very much doubt any bass player would want their bass that high in the mix. She is doing it to show off her chops. Sharray Reed and other great players are very busy bass players. Thats what a studio engineer is for. You can have really busy bass playing and not be intrusive to the record. 

• Like 2

Seems strange thinking of a child prodigy on electric bass but that's what she is. Chk out her Tube vids from when she started, incredible talent....Bk in the day a kid like that would be playing a stringed instrument and going places but its a new world and she's chosen bass.....it's impressive and takes some getting used to.

2 hours ago, greavesbass said:

Seems strange thinking of a child prodigy on electric bass but that's what she is. Chk out her Tube vids from when she started, incredible talent....Bk in the day a kid like that would be playing a stringed instrument and going places but its a new world and she's chosen bass.....it's impressive and takes some getting used to.

45 minutes ago, MGBrown said:

Loads of her stuff on YouTube.

She has timing, groove, harmony and creativity - all nailed.

It will be interesting to see how such a highly talented bassist progresses.   You Tube etc. shows that there are so many outstanding musicians / bands around that talent is not enough.  Lucky breaks, knowing the right people, being in the right place at the right time all help as well.

Yep. When you've got chops at that level..it all comes down to personality and ur ability to sort a chart with ten minutes to go till the red light comes on..... in other words. Professionalism. Without all that your just another YT sensation.

Edited by greavesbass