Why become a member? ×

Band Backdrop Hanging

BassAdder60

Ok folks .. for the weekend warriors amongst us who gig at pubs and clubs how do you suspend your band backdrop ?

We have a backdrop stand and bar but this takes approx 30cm of stage distance moving the drummer out further ( not ideal ) 

Any tips for hanging a vinyl large band backdrop to a venue wall for the duration of the gig ? 

Edited by BassAdder60

The best solution the last band I was in had was some large, heavy duty metal pegs that clipped the backdrop onto whatever was available.

Stands always take up space and regularly collapse!

58 minutes ago, BassAdder60 said:

...Any tips for hanging a vinyl large band backdrop to a venue wall for the duration of the gig ? 

Cheap and lightweight...

PVC Tubing Backdrop Stands...

Put the uprights at the wall end, so that the bar is flush to the wall, not 30cm forward. Incorporate telescopic tubing, if that's useful. Easy and light to pack up, and cheap to make. Hope this helps. :rWNVV2D:

• Like 1

We have one of these and extend the width by using a couple of tent poles bungeed along the top sticking out each side depending on the width we need. The flat feet are much better than the usual tripod ones as you can slide them under amps if required. You don't need to shift the drummer forward at all. 

https://www.printedtoday.co.uk/product/backdrop-stands/

Bungee balls are on Amazon and the 4" ones are the right length.

It gives us this at its widest....

IMG_20221231_202807.thumb.jpg.1feff9132b8e3c7e4eebbdcaf60da6e7.jpg

FB_IMG_1673797164045.thumb.jpg.86381e85097490be1153beade80cd67b.jpg

Edited by Mudpup

1 hour ago, Mudpup said:

We have one of these and extend the width by using a couple of tent poles bungeed along the top sticking out each side depending on the width we need. The flat feet are much better than the usual tripod ones as you can slide them under amps if required. You don't need to shift the drummer forward at all. 

https://www.printedtoday.co.uk/product/backdrop-stands/

Bungee balls are on Amazon and the 4" ones are the right length.

It gives us this at its widest....

IMG_20221231_202807.thumb.jpg.1feff9132b8e3c7e4eebbdcaf60da6e7.jpg

FB_IMG_1673797164045.thumb.jpg.86381e85097490be1153beade80cd67b.jpg

Love the lighting bars. who makes them?

vinyl backdrop with ringed holes along all edges. Hang it using bungees taking a box of mixed lengths. Also hand a bungee or two on each bottom corner to stop the vinyl curling inwards.

Also take some large sized mapping pins so that if nothing to hang from you can pop a few in a wall with minimum hole and hang the vinyl directly onto the mapping pins.

Dave

image.thumb.png.34cc7897736560160728aedf16abf0da.png

I was owed a favour by a mate who makes banners for a living.  I wasn't going to call in the favour but he insisted so now we have a 2m square, plastic coated canvas banner. It looks great but weighs a ton. I've no idea how I'll support the bugger

We had a lightweight backdrop (2mx4m) with reinforced loopholes in each corner; we just had a couple of feet of parachord looped into these and we just tied/hung the backdrop with these. 

There was ALWAYS somewhere at the back of the stage to tie it to.

Screenshot_20230711_085925_YouTube.thumb.jpg.b67e94ff3ae6a84c78c20043b980462a.jpg

Edited by NancyJohnson
  • Like 2

25 minutes ago, SteveXFR said:

I was owed a favour by a mate who makes banners for a living.  I wasn't going to call in the favour but he insisted so now we have a 2m square, plastic coated canvas banner. It looks great but weighs a ton. I've no idea how I'll support the bugger

Yep our vinyl backdrop is heavy too 

Ours isn't a heavy vinyl one. It's a super light, fireproof blackout fabric. The drummer had it made - he's a bit particular about having decent kit and persuaded us to spring £300 on it. To be fair to him it was a good call. It packs up really small and is nice and light which means we don't need a heavy duty stand to hang it on.

On 10/07/2023 at 22:00, Mudpup said:

Ours isn't a heavy vinyl one. It's a super light, fireproof blackout fabric. The drummer had it made - he's a bit particular about having decent kit and persuaded us to spring £300 on it. To be fair to him it was a good call. It packs up really small and is nice and light which means we don't need a heavy duty stand to hang it on.

What make is that?

Ah - it's the same people that make the backdrop stand, in the link you posted earlier. 

:facepalm:

Edited by Richard R
Answered my own question!

32 minutes ago, Richard R said:

What make is that?

Ah - it's the same people that make the backdrop stand, in the link you posted earlier. 

:facepalm:

I'm not so sure that it is.... the drummer sorted it out and i ordered the backdrop stand.....

On 11/07/2023 at 07:26, Dazm66 said:

Or get the venue to do it for you!IMG_5825.thumb.jpeg.fcd2f7bac8a5f7406c0586f799505343.jpeg

I thought of doing this at a few places we have played. There's always a big TV somewhere and more and more of them have USB ports that you can plug a memory stick in. Either a single jpg or a looping video, sideshow etc.

• Like 1

I've used vinyl banners in the past which work well and as Nancy said a few posts back, there's always something you can clip it to. The main issue was getting creases out of it.

My current band uses a 3m x 3m heavy-duty backdrop that's suspended from reinforced eyelets. More recently, as long as the venue has the facilities, we use an mp4 of band-related images which is shown behind, over or alongside us while we play. I'm in a Roxy Music tribute band, and here's a picture of us singing along with our old mate Brian Eno...

326975715_1304545283515642_1974016347217750093_n.jpg.41f712019ea13097c4d960220c157ff0.jpg

Edited by rushbo
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

We roll our vinyl backdrop around a 2" plastic tube and then pop it into one of those carboard tube boxes used for large drawings. Keeps it crease free.

Dave 

Yep we do the same and it stays mostly clean and crease free 

• Like 1