Why become a member? ×

Just to confuse the “Tone” debate further!

Velarian

7 minutes ago, Maude said:

The funniest part of all this tone this tone that nonsense affecting the resonance of an guitar is that you then go and rest it against a big, fat, tone sucking belly. 

Especially if it is "hard core"!

2 hours ago, Maude said:

The funniest part of all this tone this tone that nonsense affecting the resonance of an guitar is that you then go and rest it against a big, fat, tone sucking belly. 

I didn't realise you'd met me!

Edited by Bassfinger
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Maude said:

So... does what you ate just before you rest your bass against the big, fat tone sucking belly actually affect the tone through some kind of resonance thing? A plate full of mashed potato absorbs the vibrations, giving a muted, Motown feel while nuts, seeds and raisins take the vibrations and creates subtle overtones that cut through the mix?

And my aftermarket paisley pick guard on my P Bass makes everything sound like the 60's.

I have to go now, so the nurse tells me. 😄

• Haha 5

41 minutes ago, Franticsmurf said:

So... does what you ate just before you rest your bass against the big, fat tone sucking belly actually affect the tone through some kind of resonance thing? A plate full of mashed potato absorbs the vibrations, giving a muted, Motown feel while nuts, seeds and raisins take the vibrations and creates subtle overtones that cut through the mix?

And my aftermarket paisley pick guard on my P Bass makes everything sound like the 60's.

I have to go now, so the nurse tells me. 😄

Far out man (both the belly and the paisley pick guard) 😂

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Jean-Luc Pickguard said:

But are aluminum pickguards better for metal?

Not so, because aluminium is so light in weight, it works only for metallic (a paint or similar). For medium metal it should be steel. Lead is illegal, so heavy substances are mostly gone.

Was that an anodised aluminium pickguard in the thumbnail? Surrounding pickups in conductive metal is known to affect their response by causing eddy currents - similar to adding extra coils around the pickup which are shorted to ground. It's a measurable effect, well known to designers of anything using coils.

I don't know how noticeable it would be in this instance, but the premise isn't so wild if they're comparing aluminium to plastic.

• Like 2

What about non binary pickguards? I don’t think we should be enforcing gender stereotypes on plastic… they will get so confused 

personally I think your latitude affects the sound much more than wood. And maybe altitude too. The same bass sounds totally different when played on stage than at ground level. and on Wednesdays, for some

reason the mid range tones are always better on days with longer names 

Edited by Geek99
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, fretmeister said:

I could see a 'plate made of a ferrous material having an effect.

And I can see a metal plate of any type improving shielding, but beyond those 2....

naaaaaa 

I once (in my youth I hasten to add) put a chromed metal scratchplate on a P bass copy, this was definitely made of steel under the plating. 

And it made absolutely no difference to how the thing sounded

7 minutes ago, Waddo Soqable said:

I once (in my youth I hasten to add) put a chromed metal scratchplate on a P bass copy, this was definitely made of steel under the plating. 

And it made absolutely no difference to how the thing sounded

Well, it makes a difference if shock terapy is used - plastic - no, metal - yes !!!

• Haha 1