Why become a member? ×

Coping with mistakes live

Dan Dare

Interesting conversation in the band the other day (no rows or fallings-out, but differing opinions). Thought I'd ask you lot. What should the policy be if someone makes a mistake whilst playing?

It's inevitable that mistakes happen from time to time - the question is how to cope with/minimise them. In this case, our singer started another verse, rather than a chorus. I went with her, but a couple of the guys tried to stick to the arrangement. We rescued the situation, but had a discussion afterwards about what to do if it happened again.

My thinking is that if one of the musicians makes a clam, the band should plough on and let them realise and correct (with a few pointed looks, etc to make them aware). Very few people in an audience are going to think "That bass player dropped a clanger" or "That guitar player got it wrong". Most aren't likely to be musicians and, crucially, the main focus is on the singer.

However, if the singer makes a mistake and the band doesn't go with it and leaves him/her high and dry, people will think "the entire band screwed up". It makes sense to me that one should adapt on the fly in order to escape the situation gracefully and as unnoticeably as possible.

Others felt the arrangement should be adhered to no matter what. What are your thoughts?

• Like 8

Generally, go with the singer (IMHO) if they make a mistake, otherwise plough on and let the miscreant find their way back (or stop playing!!).

I wouldn't do the 'pointed look' as it will apparent to them that they've sphered it up and it alerts the audience to the fact. We might say that we played the jazz version when the number has finished.

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

If it's me who makes a mistake (ie wrong notes), then I'll play the same thing again next time around.  Beyond this, follow the singer.

I think we're all of a certain standard, it's original material and we can just play through any issues.  I doubt anyone out front really gives a toot.

• Like 1

Yes, always, always, follow the singer when it comes to arrangements getting messed up.

But if they start off in the wrong key, then a car crash is pretty inevitable, as there's no undo button.

Best to bring things to a halt, make a joke about it, and start again, and thoughts and prayers they'll get it right second time round.  😬

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Steve Browning said:

I wouldn't do the 'pointed look' as it will apparent to them that they've sphered it up and it alerts the audience to the fact.

I wasn't thinking of yelling "You plonker" and glaring. More a raised eyebrow kind of deal.

2 hours ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

you’re going to have to tell your band they are wrong.

Only half of them felt differently to me and it wasn't a matter of life or death, fortunately.

1 hour ago, musicbassman said:

But if they start off in the wrong key, then a car crash is pretty inevitable, as there's no undo button.

The keys player always gives them a note if needed (say where there is no intro to lead them into it), so that hasn't happened yet, touch wood.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Dan Dare said:

However, if the singer makes a mistake and the band doesn't go with it and leaves him/her high and dry, people will think "the entire band screwed up". It makes sense to me that one should adapt on the fly in order to escape the situation gracefully and as unnoticeably as possible.

I agree with you. I always go with the singer and if the whole band does it too, in many cases, nobody in the audience ever realises there was a mistake.

• Like 1

Everyone makes mistakes, it's how you deal with them that matters. Follow the singer as the rest of the audience will be and if you don't, they'll only notice you going wrong. It's good for the band to have something definite to do as well, as there is nothing worse than everyone doing something different as a reaction or the stubborn 'well it wasn't me' plough on regardless approach on stage.  

3 hours ago, NancyJohnson said:

If it's me who makes a mistake (ie wrong notes), then I'll play the same thing again next time around.

Yes, me too (within reason). One of the bands I'm in has inexperienced musicians in the line up and I've told them if it doesn't clash too badly, repeat the mistake and own it. If it does, stop playing until you can come back in correctly as it's better to play nothing than notes/chords that clearly stand out as wrong.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Franticsmurf said:

Everyone makes mistakes, it's how you deal with them that matters. Follow the singer as the rest of the audience will be and if you don't, they'll only notice you going wrong. It's good for the band to have something definite to do as well, as there is nothing worse than everyone doing something different as a reaction or the stubborn 'well it wasn't me' plough on regardless approach on stage.  

Yes, me too (within reason). One of the bands I'm in has inexperienced musicians in the line up and I've told them if it doesn't clash too badly, repeat the mistake and own it. If it does, stop playing until you can come back in correctly as it's better to play nothing than notes/chords that clearly stand out as wrong.

Rule One of Bass Playing - the correct note at the correct time.  Rule Two - the 'wrong' note at the correct time is also permissible - who in the audience is going to know its wrong???

Rule Three - wrong note at the wrong time indicates that you need to find a new instrument to play

11 minutes ago, chris_b said:

Mistakes are fine.

It's what you play next to turn them back into good notes that matters.

Yes, I completely agree. Mistakes are natural for all sorts of reasons. I'd add that it's also about what you do to minimise making the same mistake again in the future.

Covers band I was in. Pub gig. Between sets singist/rhythm says to me (I was newbie): 'You're playing so many wrong notes.'

Me (alarmed): 'Which ones? Which songs?'

Singist/rhythm: 'Too many to mention.'

Second set. Sharp Dressed Man. Crucial chord change mid-solo (which is quite long). Drummer (v experienced) has got into the habit of playing a little fill to warn me of the impending chord change. I've noticed that on this number in the past the singist/rhythm looks to my left hand to see when I change fret so he can change chord under the solo.

Drummer plays fill. I turn my back so singist/rhythm can't see. Singist/rhythm completely lost. Train wreck. Band plays on.

Lead guitar (excellent player) - still soloing - turns to singist/rhythm and shakes his head slowly and sadly.

Made my night! Never criticised by singist/rhythm again.

Edited by Kitsto
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

7 hours ago, Dan Dare said:

Interesting conversation in the band the other day (no rows or fallings-out, but differing opinions). Thought I'd ask you lot. What should the policy be if someone makes a mistake whilst playing?

It's inevitable that mistakes happen from time to time - the question is how to cope with/minimise them. In this case, our singer started another verse, rather than a chorus. I went with her, but a couple of the guys tried to stick to the arrangement. We rescued the situation, but had a discussion afterwards about what to do if it happened again.

My thinking is that if one of the musicians makes a clam, the band should plough on and let them realise and correct (with a few pointed looks, etc to make them aware). Very few people in an audience are going to think "That bass player dropped a clanger" or "That guitar player got it wrong". Most aren't likely to be musicians and, crucially, the main focus is on the singer.

Others felt the arrangement should be adhered to no matter what. What are your thoughts?

Same as you: people make mistakes, we carry on and let them catch up (with subtle or not so subtle hints, depending), but if the singer launches into the wrong bit, just follow them.